Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Added oil cooler & Pan? 13 Sep 2006 12:06 #76457

• eaglemhf
  • eaglemhf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I added an oil cooler and pan from a 1983 turbo 750 to my kz 750. I was wondering if anyone else had done this and ran into any oil'n problems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Added oil cooler & Pan? 13 Sep 2006 18:20 #76568

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Shouldn't have any problems. Just measure how far you pump sticks down and the measure how deep the pan is. If the gap is too large you won't be able to add enough oil to get to the pump. If everything looks good I would take the output hose off the cooler and run the bike for a 30sec or so to make sure you have oil coming out of the hose. It won't spray since the pressure is only a few lbs. Stick a can under the hose and it will catch the oil. You will need to add about an extra quart for the cooler, unless it is real small, and then more if the pan is deeper than the one that came off.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Added oil cooler & Pan? 13 Sep 2006 19:22 #76585

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
A few pounds? Ought to be at least 30 psi, more if cold :D

900's/1000's/1100's run low oil pressure because they are roller bearing motors, the others use plain bearings and have significantly higher oil pressure :)

I have not opened up a KZ750 four motor, but I have done a couple of GPz750 motors, and on the GPz750 motors there are passages cast into the oil pan that connect to the oil cooler fitting, and they match up to passages cast into the lower engine case.

Since the KZ750's do not come with an oil cooler, is there a passage cast into the oil pan that the oil flows through and then back up into the case? Do the holes for the oil passages in the GPz750 oil pan line up with holes in the KZ750 case?

When did Kawasaki first install oil coolers on the 750's? 82 GPz750R1 maybe? If so, then I have to wonder if the earlier cases were actually designed to accept the oil cooler. Anyone know positively for sure that an oil cooler will work on the KZ750 motors by using the GPz750 oil pan? I know that it will bolt up, I'm just not sure that it will do anything.

Found the answer in the Factory Service Manual:

After passing through the filter, the oil branches into two lubrication routes. One of these routes is through the oil pan passage to the crankcase main oil passage.

Guess I was needlessly concerned, but better safe than sorry :)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/13 22:55
KD9JUR

Added oil cooler & Pan? 13 Sep 2006 19:59 #76589

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
My bad. You might get some spray so be prepared.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Added oil cooler & Pan? 13 Sep 2006 21:41 #76599

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
kawtoy wrote:

My bad. You might get some spray so be prepared.

At least you did not type 14 lines and end up saying nothing like I just did :laugh: :laugh:
KD9JUR

Added oil cooler & Pan? 14 Sep 2006 05:52 #76636

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I installed an oil cooler and pan off of a GPZ750 on my 77KZ650. According to buykawasaki.com the oil pumps are the same from the 2 bikes. I would assume that yours is the same.
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Added oil cooler & Pan? 18 Sep 2006 13:24 #77675

• eaglemhf
  • User
So I did do this and seems to pump just fine. The oil pan and oil cooler are from a GPZ750. So...it works. No problems have been found. B)

Added oil cooler & Pan? 18 Sep 2006 13:27 #77676

• eaglemhf
  • User
So I did do this and seems to pump just fine. The oil pan and oil cooler are from a GPZ750. So...it works. No problems have been found. B)

• Page: