Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Copper in oil? 08 Sep 2006 19:49 #75376

• rgpbeme
  • rgpbeme's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I did my first oil change on my new to me 79 mk2. The oil was clean but in the sunlight the oil looked like it had lots of very small copper glitter in it. The sun had to be on the oil in the drain pan to see it. Does shis sound like a additive or a clutch?

Also I have had a few bikes in my time. This MK seems to shift better then anything I have owned. No klunk just very smooth and possitive. It is better than my Honda Saber Is there anything differant about this transmission?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Copper in oil? 08 Sep 2006 22:38 #75399

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Sounds like you might have a bearing going bad somewhere.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Copper in oil? 09 Sep 2006 06:04 #75426

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
copper in oil:
can come from engine parts
is an additive in some oils
can come from gasket sealer

I would:
ask PO what kind of oil he used and if he did any work on the engine.
look at the filter for larger copper bits and if none then change the oil and see what it looks like next time around.

High sulfur oils will attack bronze and copper if the engine is used a lot for short trips and seldom heats up enough to drive water out of the oil. This was a problem with gearbox oil in Porsches. The gearbox never got hot enough to boil off water and high sulfer oil would eat up the bronze bushings.

-Duck

Copper in oil? 09 Sep 2006 14:54 #75500

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I can't think of ANY copper bearings in a MKII engine. The ONLY copper that I can recall are the copper crush washers used for the exhaust pipes and the copper crush washers used to seal the engine studs/cylinder head nuts. I think perhaps someone has used some sort of engine treatment leaving this stuff in the oil. I would keep an eye on the oil during the next change but don't think there is copper coming out of your engine anywhere. Bearing surfaces are aluminum.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Copper in oil? 09 Sep 2006 15:13 #75504

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
WG-

Are the camshaft bearing shells plated copper or solid 'babbit'?

Copper in oil? 09 Sep 2006 16:44 #75518

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
My 76 has 2 copper thrust washers one on each side of the large starter drive gear on the end of the crank shaft.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Copper in oil? 09 Sep 2006 17:33 #75536

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
rgpbeme wrote:

...The oil was clean but in the sunlight the oil looked like it had lots of very small copper glitter in it. The sun had to be on the oil in the drain pan to see it. Does shis sound like a additive or a clutch?....

The oil I use looks the same way. Eenie-weenie teenie-tiny little sparkles in the sun, especially noticable when pouring with sunlight. New or old. It's in there. It's an additive for additional protection when the oil would otherwise break down... I assume...

B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Copper in oil? 10 Sep 2006 16:16 #75725

• wiredgeorge
  • User
The cam gears are plain ol' aluminum. I forgot about the thrust washer for the gear that drives the starter drives. It is copper. Good catch! It is a thrust washer and there is little way it could wear since it sits in a recess inside the gear as I recall.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Copper in oil? 11 Sep 2006 08:18 #75868

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
It's not copper , it's bronze and it's likely a thrust washer going away. Pull the oil pan and check your crankshaft cuz this problem isn't going to go away on its own.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

Copper in oil? 12 Sep 2006 21:04 #76262

• fishbone1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I agree with Jack. On dirt bike engines where I have found bronze flakes in the strainer and filter the thrust washers on either side of the rods were going bad.

Copper in oil? 13 Sep 2006 05:29 #76321

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Again, there are NO copper/bronze thrust washers inside the engine cases. The thrust washer on the outside of the engine cases goes over the crankshaft end where the starter driving gear sits behind the rotor. There is little liklihood this thrust washer can wear as it sits in a recess inside the starter driving gear and if it started flaking, I don't think the flakes would actually fall down and get into the oil. They would be trapped inside the recess. The washer itself is not in engine oil. There is a small journal at the bottom of the cases where the bottom of the starter driving gear can get some oil I guess but the oil doesn't reach up into that area where it could wash any copper (or bronze). I have NEVER seen wear on that thrust washer. How do you know the washer is bronze and not copper? I can't tell them apart by eye and the color is identical to the copper washers used atop the cylinder head to seal the oil journals. Just curious. BTW, Jack, you can't see the ONLY thrust washer on the crank by pulling your oil pan. You have to remove the alternator cover (or stator cover depending on model). Once you do, you have to pull the rotor and then the gear that drives the starter gear.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Copper in oil? 13 Sep 2006 06:04 #76335

• fishbone1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Wiredgeorge,
There is no washer on both sides of the connecting rods between the lobes of the crankshaft??? I know there is not on my KZ750ltd but the crankshaft/connecting rod set up appears to be different on the 79 1000. But, I can't tell for sure looking at drawings.

• Page: