Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

. 13 Oct 2006 08:47 #83936

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
=

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 16 Oct 2006 18:22 #84816

• Sleepy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
chroming adds layers of metal to the surface - and more importantly the various holes used for oil level window, seals, collars, threaded holes etc - so expect covers to be a little tight fitting after chroming, and needing to chase any threads with a tap before you can use them.

Im not a fan of chromed aluminum, the covers on one of my bikes look like real bad with blistering and peeling.
kz650 gs750 cb750

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 16 Oct 2006 19:34 #84834

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Personally, I like the chrome over polishing. I polished some parts years ago and it seemed all I did was keep polishing to keep the shine. I polished some mag wheels and coated them with urathane clear and they stayed in great shape, but I've been told clear coated engine parts will yellow, which would look like crap. Chrome is easier to keep clean but I was told it also holds heat in, which will make the motor run hotter, but not sure to what degree. I wouldn't think it would be that much to worry about though...otherwise a lot of the bikes on here wouldn't run, huh? If you chrome, spend th emoney and get the good stuff-it's worth it in the long run!!!!!
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 16 Oct 2006 21:03 #84851

• wireman
  • Visitor
the older i get the lazier i get:P i like the looks of polished aluminum but i will never again polish carb tops or bowls,valvecover,crankcase vent or aluminum swingarms.they will be plated from now on,too much of a pain to keep polished like racer said!:evil: :P