Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 26 Aug 2006 21:11 #72735

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Around these parts a polished stator cover will run you 200$. I just tried to bid on one on ebay yesterday and it was nice and went for 130$
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 26 Aug 2006 22:58 #72743

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Saturday I used a 6" Sisal wheel with emory, and then an 8" spiral sewn cotton wheel with the red, and then an 8" spiral sewn cotton wheel with the white polishing compound, on my 7" portable grinder clamped in a vise, and polished the left and right engine covers and the cam cover on a 750 twin in a couple of hours. I figure another hour to do the wheels (when I get a rountuit), so I think $150 to polish all engine covers and both wheels sounds reasonable. If they have to be sanded the time involved (and the price) would increase significantly though.
KD9JUR

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 27 Aug 2006 08:25 #72772

• KawasakiJockey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Polishing costs as much as chrome does around the Houston area. I spent thousands on the chrome work on mine because it is a bike that sleeps inside and is not really ridden. Show plating is much more expensive but is better for longevity. Polishing is constant maintenance and anything you coat it with seems to turn yellow. If I ever do another KZ to be a rider I am gonna do the candy powdercoat on the covers. There is also a silver that looks like polished aluminum. I wish I would have done this and saved all that chroming money to put toward another bike. I went overboard doing every bolt,nut,washer,etc.:pinch:
Attachments:

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 27 Aug 2006 10:03 #72786

• wireman
  • Visitor
KawasakiJockey wrote:

Polishing costs as much as chrome does around the Houston area. I spent thousands on the chrome work on mine because it is a bike that sleeps inside and is not really ridden. Show plating is much more expensive but is better for longevity. Polishing is constant maintenance and anything you coat it with seems to turn yellow. If I ever do another KZ to be a rider I am gonna do the candy powdercoat on the covers. There is also a silver that looks like polished aluminum. I wish I would have done this and saved all that chroming money to put toward another bike. I went overboard doing every bolt,nut,washer,etc.:pinch:

wait till you see the plating and polishing this time around!:evil:
Attachments:

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 27 Aug 2006 13:27 #72828

• Mikes82KZ1100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
That is one thing I like about the Spectre I just bought...NO CHROME! While you guys are spending your time keeping your bikes shiney, I'll be out riding mine. I won't be stuck up though. I'll be sure and honk and wave as I pass by on my Anti-shine bike.;)

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 27 Aug 2006 14:23 #72837

• wireman
  • Visitor
you sound like solomrus,paints all his chrome stuff black!:S :P

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 28 Aug 2006 10:37 #72971

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
A friend of mine who chromed lots of parts on his turbo told me the only way to make chrome last was to copper plate the item first, then polish it, then nickel plate it, then polish again, then chrome plate. Stupidly expensive but extremely durable and doesn't flake off apparently.
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 28 Aug 2006 11:03 #72975

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Awhile back I almost bought a plateing system off ebay. I did a little research and found out that not only does EPA concider chrome a toxic substance it has severe fines for not disposing of it properly. This totally scared me off. I also found out that what triple plateing means is presicely what you mentioned, Lorcan. Chrome won't plate properly directly to aluminum. In order to get a good chrome platting on aluminum you first need to plate it w/copper, then you plate it w/nickel, then the chrome will stick to the nickel. So, you should ONLY get triple plated chrome on aluminum, otherwise it simply will not stick.
Ron
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 28 Aug 2006 11:04 #72976

• wireman
  • Visitor
thats triple plating,thats the good stuff!you can make the single step stuff last ,the biggest thing is to keep it clean and waxed really good.;)

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 28 Aug 2006 12:58 #72994

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yup:P
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 12 Oct 2006 23:00 #83837

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Wow, I forgot about this thread. I got out my receipts tonight, and I was mistaken. It cost me $150.00 for all my covers to be polished. I think I did my fork legs at a different time. They might have been $40.00 or something like that. I just picked up my carb tops, float bowls (8 all together) and 2 fork caps and the guy charged me $40.00. He's the same polisher who Bourget uses located in the Deer Valley industrial area.
This guy does an incredible job. When he finishes the parts look like mirrors. They are a pain in the arse to keep looking great though. I will post pics of the carb parts when I finish putting my carbs back together this weekend.

Post edited by: austin3119, at: 2006/10/13 02:03

Chrome plating or polishing, whats the best? 13 Oct 2006 07:34 #83914

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Well what I do is just use turtle wax. Works for me and I tell you, I am beginning to use my clutch cover as a mirror
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean