Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

79kz1000st----with a bit of a knock? 08 Aug 2006 00:03 #67948

• dropkik77
  • dropkik77's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i was riding it home from work and stopped at a light, in neutral. i dropped it into gear and hear a loud metallic noise... from then on it was a slight knock. i limped home about 200yrds. and let it sit. later, i took off the valve cover and didnt see anything that looked out of place...(although i guess im not so qualified to say). i took an extension magnet and stuck in where the oil goes to see if there were any metal fillings or pieces..and there wasnt. i took a wrench and tapped all over the outside just to see if there might be something on the outside thats making noise...there wasnt....any ideas?? i dont want to start it again as to not casue anymore damage...all help is appreciated!
thanks,
dropkik77
marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

79kz1000st----with a bit of a knock? 08 Aug 2006 05:32 #67964

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The knock is something bumping as the engine turns. The only way to locate this knock is to start the engine and listed; perhaps with a stethescope. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight. The alternative is to squat next to the engine and listen. If you don't feel comfortable doing this and diagnosing the location of the knock, take it to a mechanic.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

79kz1000st----with a bit of a knock? 08 Aug 2006 10:30 #68028

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
You can use a long screwdriver or a piece of metal rod or pipe and listen around the engine to find the knock. Might not be in the engine. Tuch one end to engine and the other to your ear.

-Duck

• Page: