Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

valve seals 31 Jul 2006 14:41 #66151

• 1977kz
  • 1977kz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Has anybody put valve seals on with head still on bike? If so how and with what tools? 1977kz 1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 07:15 #66301

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Can't...you must pull the head and use the 'special tool' to compress the valves:(
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 09:05 #66333

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Can be done with compressed air connected to a modified spark plug mounted to the air line.Insert the plug to hold the valves closed with the air,depress the retainer and pull the keepers.Pull the seal and replace, and reinstall the keepers and retainers.Not easy but it can be done.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 10:05 #66359

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
it is more work to do it the wrong way.

half assed head work is just asking for more trouble.

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 10:22 #66373

• wireman
  • Visitor
been swapping valvesprings on cars that way for years,whats half assed about it?compressing the springs on a bike might be a little harder though.:whistle:

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 15:30 #66472

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
if the seals are gone,melted,hardened, or just leaking then the valve guides are definitely worn and the valve faces and seats likewise.
cars-bikes-generators any 4 stroke O.H.V.

if you do partial mechanical cyl. head work like that--fine

I do not.
...and I feel exactly how I stated.

just put a band-aid on it and pass it on to someone else.

just about everyone has bought a bike with a hidden problem that someone went to gerat lengths NOT to fix it properly---right??

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 16:44 #66482

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
trippivot wrote:

if the seals are gone,melted,hardened, or just leaking then the valve guides are definitely worn and the valve faces and seats likewise.
cars-bikes-generators any 4 stroke O.H.V.

if you do partial mechanical cyl. head work like that--fine

I do not.
...and I feel exactly how I stated.

just put a band-aid on it and pass it on to someone else.

just about everyone has bought a bike with a hidden problem that someone went to gerat lengths NOT to fix it properly---right??

Got to agree with this thinking. The Z motor is one of the easiest motors ever to work on and if the seals are shot it almost certainly has other head/valve problems as well. Might as well fix it right the first time. It's sort of like lapping valves and calling it a valve job. Just my opinion....mod

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 18:12 #66500

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey trippivot and modprod,
I just can't agree with your thinking about valve seals. While worn valve seals may indicate other engine wear, they're just not a good indicator. Valve seals are way more likely to deteriorate from the passage of time than anything else. I have a several older Kawasakis that have LOW mileage but still smoke just after startup. Once they're up to temp they run as clean as you could want.

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 19:00 #66515

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
KZCSI wrote:

Hey trippivot and modprod,
I just can't agree with your thinking about valve seals. While worn valve seals may indicate other engine wear, they're just not a good indicator. Valve seals are way more likely to deteriorate from the passage of time than anything else. I have a several older Kawasakis that have LOW mileage but still smoke just after startup. Once they're up to temp they run as clean as you could want.

KZCSI

If an engine smokes at start-up and then stops after warm-up the valve guides are more than likely shot too. In this case he has 30000 + miles! I'd be surprized if the guides really were still very good but I have learned that different peoples standards vary on what a good running motor is and that many don't share my standards and that's Ok:) ...mod

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 22:01 #66558

• wireman
  • Visitor
ive seen more than one high mileage z motor that didnt need much of anything when i took it apart.i pulled the topend on my dads 78 chevy pickup years ago to swap the heads intake and cam.not becuase it was worn out,but because he had been driving it for 20 years and all he did was keep the oil changed and change the clutch 3-4 times.motor ad 350,000(yes that is thousands)miles on it and still had origional crosshatch on cylinder walls he just wanted to have some fun with it!:evil: he has run mobil one oil in that truck since it had its first oil change.if the motor is solid and doesnt smoke like a diesel id say go ahead and try it,hes got nothing to lose but a few hours of his time doing it and it might help him get through the rest of the season riding his bike.oh yeah heres my idea of a good running motor,and yes we do change valvesprings on them between races without pulling heads.

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/02 01:02
Attachments:

valve seals 01 Aug 2006 22:34 #66564

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
IMO trying to work in the tight space is way more trouble than pulling the head. You're going to be chasing bottom turn of thread in the cam cap holes. It's kinda tight and awkward to do this with the heas in. You can take a look at valves with the head off. Getting the hard guide seal off and the new one in is easier with the valve out.

-Duck

valve seals 02 Aug 2006 06:36 #66612

• Jack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Didn't say it was easy,just that it CAN be done.I agree,pulling the head is far easier and yes you will be chasing threads if you pry the springs down.
79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• Page: