Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

shifting problems - diagnosis? 14 Jul 2006 10:24 #61953

• kc5deb
  • kc5deb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 78 KZ650 B with about 11,000 miles. The engine runs strong, tires are good, new chain, etc.

I've changed the oil, oil filter, etc.

What I've narrowed it down to is this-

When I'm upshifting, and pull the clutch in all the way, it seems to bind between some of the shifts, and just doesn't shift right. It never grinds, but, let's say from 2nd to 3rd, I'll pull the clutch all the way in, and pull up, and it doesn't go; it feels like I'm in 5th, and have hit the last gear. I sometimes have to either let out on the clutch then pull in on the clutch again, or let the RPM's fall way down before it'll take the gear.

NOW, if I barely pull in the clutch when I shift, the shift if MUCH smoother, and never binds. I can go all the way up and all the way down with no problems, but, I'm only pulling in the clutch maybe to a 1 or 2 position.

My question is, is it possible to engage the clutch too much and cause shifting problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

shifting problems - diagnosis? 14 Jul 2006 10:28 #61956

• wireman
  • Visitor
try adjusting clutch.;)

shifting problems - diagnosis? 14 Jul 2006 12:54 #61984

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I would have to say "no". A properly adjusted clutch should not cause those symptoms. A poorly adjusted clutch might need to be pulled back to handlebars. What does it shift like without clutch.

shifting problems - diagnosis? 14 Jul 2006 14:13 #61994

• kc5deb
  • kc5deb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Shifting without the clutch (which is something I've tried once or twice, but try never to do) is pretty rough. No grinding, but, you can tell that it hit the next gear for sure. I haven't shifted "clutchless" through the gears to see what happens, but, I can if you need me to.

shifting problems - diagnosis? 15 Jul 2006 06:40 #62128

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
if the clutch effects the shifting start by inspecting the adjustment and operation of your clutch.

shift drum, detent, and pawl are spring loaded and need to be in alignment. but if there was a problem in there it would be at all times with all gears no matter what the clutch does

shifting problems - diagnosis? 17 Jul 2006 10:06 #62623

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm still saying no you cannot engage the clutch too much and cause shifting problems. Double/triple/quadruple checking of clutch adjustment as per manual is needed.
You may need to check clutch plates for broken ones. In that case may be pulling back on lever allows broken pieces to hang up. I am more inclined to think bad tranny, but I am no expert, I repeat no expert.

Post edited by: RomSpaceKnight, at: 2006/07/17 14:08

• Page: