Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oil leak stop 14 Jul 2006 06:33 #61900

• Christo
  • Christo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I probably know the answer to this question but I want to see if anyone has had this problem and tried to fix it this way. My 1982 LTD100 has an 2 anoying oil leaks, the first is at the valve cover on the left side, not a big leak just enough to spray my pantleg if I don't keep it wiped up, the second is at the shift lever pin and it is a bit worse than the first, I don't notice it while riding but when it's parked it drips onto the ground bad enough that I won't park it on anyones driveway and at home I keep a board under it. SO, my question isif the oil leaks arent really that bad, would an oil additive "leak-stop" help ?? would it cause any problems ?? or can anyone offer any other suggestions ?? The valve cover leak is really the least of my worries, I know I could have a new gasket installed and the cost wouldn't be huge,, it's the shift pin leak that is my big problem, from what I understand replacing the seal IS a big deal and would run me more than I'm prepared to pay right now...I'm open to any thoughts you guys might have..thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil leak stop 14 Jul 2006 09:43 #61943

• EddieBoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
your clutches ride in that oil as well. i wouldnt use any kid of oil seal conditioner/sealer in this type of motor. i had a buddy slick50 his virago and then spent an afternoon disassenbling and cleaning all the clutch plates. i dont use stop leak mixtures anyway. they just soft and bloat the seals. if you plan to ride the bike often id just replace the seals that were leaking.

oil leak stop 14 Jul 2006 18:44 #62063

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Don't use the miracle oils, replace the seals. The valve cover will be easy.

Post edited by: KZ_Rage, at: 2006/07/15 00:00
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

oil leak stop 14 Jul 2006 19:16 #62068

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
buy the engine cover gasket and seals for the cover the shift rod passes through. replace
check valve cover bolts. do not over torque!!! if this doesn't fix then buy the valve cover gasket. replace

• Page: