Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Camshaft oil leak 25 Sep 2022 07:06 #874490

• Feanor_twh
  • Feanor_twh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I have a significant oil leak at the plug that covers the end of the camshaft. I tried to pull it out to see if I can replace the o-ring or something, but it won't come off, and I don't want to break anything.

I've searched extensively on the forum and even disassembly diagrams but I can't find out if that plug can be removed as is or if it is necessary to disassemble the head cover.

How can I unmount it?
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Camshaft oil leak 25 Sep 2022 09:00 #874497

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 365
I have never pulled a 400 top end apart, but in looking at partizilla  www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...covers-76-77-kz400-d
there is  clear silicone used as a gasket between the head and the cover which covers the cam end cap..  I do not know if you have to pull the cover off and clean and re-due the silicone gasket or if you can just leave the cover on and attempt to seal up the cam end cap; 
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Camshaft oil leak 25 Sep 2022 10:42 #874509

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Apply liquid gasket on the cylinder head cover o-rings.

ebay.com/itm/301708784373
Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Camshaft oil leak 26 Sep 2022 02:52 #874546

• Feanor_twh
  • User
Thank you all for your comments. However I still don't know if that plug can be removed without open the head. I drive the bike daily and I plan to open the engine soon to check several things (balancer chain, timing chain, joints...) but I would like to fix it temporarily so I can use the bike while.

I had thought about sealing with gasket paste from the outside, or maybe silicone (if the plug can't be removed)
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Last edit: by Feanor_twh.

Camshaft oil leak 26 Sep 2022 04:26 #874549

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
The plug can´t be removed without open the head, so do a temporarily liquid sealing from the outside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

Camshaft oil leak 26 Sep 2022 05:35 #874552

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1755

The plug can´t be removed without open the head, so do a temporarily liquid sealing from the outside.
Give it a good wash down with brake cleaner first, this will give the best chance of sealing 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feanor_twh

Camshaft oil leak 26 Sep 2022 08:05 #874563

• Feanor_twh
  • User
It is understood. Luckily I didn't force it...

I'll clean and seal, thank you all.

• Page: