Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 04 May 2021 09:22 #847991

• 82KZ305Belt
  • 82KZ305Belt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
I found a new one. I suppose I could go used, but do I want to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 05 May 2021 08:09 #848028

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
I should've bought that beauuuuutiful, "running but not running right" KZ400 that just came up for sale for $500 and was gone within hours. At least I can find parts for that.

Now the bike machinist I was sooooo happy to find has backed off on his previous comments that he's sure it would be fine as is saying that "there are no guarantees" the bore is OK, and he got audibly upset that I wanted him to measure it because the Kawasaki specs are metric. "This is why I don't work on metric bikes...". You see, he's a Harley machinist and metric is so hard.    Good freekin grief. Now he says its right at the limit "it might be OK and it might not" so I guess that means I need to rebore. He's already done the head work, which I didn't tell him to do. He was just supposed to tell me how much it would cost. So now I'm pretty much locked into this $600 job, and counting, with a set of piston rings that I can't use.  At least I didn't order the piston...

Last edit: by 82KZ305Belt.

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 05 May 2021 08:12 #848029

• katit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48

I should've bought that beauuuuutiful, "running but not running right" KZ400 that just came up for sale for $500 and was gone within hours. At least I can find parts for that.

Now the bike machinist I was sooooo happy to find has backed off on his previous comments that he's sure it would be fine as is saying that "there are no guarantees" the bore is OK, and he got audibly upset that I wanted him to measure it because the Kawasaki specs are metric. "This is why I don't work on metric bikes...". You see, he's a Harley machinist and metric is so hard.    Good freekin grief. Now he says its right at the limit "it might be OK and it might not" so I guess that means I need to rebore. He's already done the head work, which I didn't tell him to do. He was just supposed to tell me how much it would cost. So now I'm pretty much locked into this $600 job, and counting. 

Geez.. Man, tell him to measure in inches. We will convert it for you :)
78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZ305Belt

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 05 May 2021 08:17 #848030

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

Now the bike machinist I was sooooo happy to find has backed off on his previous comments that he's sure it would be fine as is saying that "there are no guarantees" the bore is OK, and he got audibly upset that I wanted him to measure it because the Kawasaki specs are metric. "This is why I don't work on metric bikes...". You see, he's a Harley machinist and metric is so hard.    Good freekin grief. Now he says its right at the limit "it might be OK and it might not" so I guess that means I need to rebore. He's already done the head work, which I didn't tell him to do. He was just supposed to tell me how much it would cost. So now I'm pretty much locked into this $600 job, and counting. 

Geez.. Man, tell him to measure in inches. We will convert it for you :)

I'm not a Harley machinist, I know how to convert measurements.

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 05 May 2021 08:20 #848031

• katit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48

I'm not a Harley machinist, I know how to convert measurements.
I know you can :) I was just suggesting to tell him that 
Not sure why they do that (work before estimate). As a matter of fact - my head is at the shop right now and guy told me 2 times they don't do work until they call and confirm numbers. For some reason I think I may be in your situation still
78 KZ650B2A - resto in progress
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/615161...s-1978-kz650-project
Other bikes: 1978 BMW R100/7, 1978 Moto Guzzi T3, 2016 DRZ400s

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 05 May 2021 11:47 #848051

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Well new oversize pistons and rings are even harder to find (and I won't pay $140 for the one set of rings I found) so I guess I will proceed as planned with one new piston and no rebore and hope for the best. Its either that or abandon ship. I've already spent 300 bucks on the head, gaskets and rings, so whats another 80 for a piston? Then I'm done putting money into this bike, other than filters and fluids. If it wants to break down again I'll take it out back and shoot it.

Have I mentioned how much I wish I had jumped on that 400? 

BTW, the piston I found is a 13001-1279, which apparently superceded the original part#. But I could only find one, in Germany.

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 05 May 2021 18:08 #848058

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
My Kawasaki manuals have both metric and imperial specs.  But they are for Z1's.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 07 May 2021 14:47 #848182

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

Checked my strainer just now - not too bad. I didn't see the problem plug that was mentioned in the other thread, so let me know if you find it. 

Uhhh...so I'm inside (thank you impact tool!) and I'm looking right at the scene you pictured....where is the strainer???

NVM. I knew I'd find it 10 seconds after posting, that's why I posted.

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 10 May 2021 15:14 #848311

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User

The oil strainer. Doesn't look too bad until you look at it under the microscope and see the cylinder shavings and chunks of red plastic from the alternator. I decided to replace it because the plastic at the oil pump end was kind of deformed.

I couldn't find the cursed bolt that supposedly obstructs it, probably have to go deeper than I'm willing. I shined a light into the orifice and couldn't see anything intruding. For braver explorers its probably near the pointy end of the pencil in the image above, in that blind gallery.

Here she is after the honing, for better or for worse. Hopefully it will get me through a season or two while I hunt for my next cheap bike that now I'll hopefully be able to fix. Assuming this all ends well, which I'm not assuming lol.

I'm very proud of my first valve job, even though I didn't do it. They couldn't have done it without me!

And now begins the forever-long process of scraping the old base gasket off... FUN!

Attachments:

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 10 May 2021 19:12 #848319

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I think I have it figured out - I'll try to get myself into it tomorrow to get some good pics for you. The general idea is removing the clutch cover (and gasket) as well as the timing cover on the opposite side, then using a long object tapping out the aluminum plug described in the article I shared last week. I've circled the spot that the long object goes into, but I haven't been under the timing cover on my bike, so pics to come. 

The article's photo is from an upside-down perspective, but I think I have it right. Hoping my next house has a paved driveway. 
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 11 May 2021 10:21 #848329

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Mixed results from today's work. 

Clutch cover off, here's the channel that goes to the back of the aluminum plug. I would suggest getting something long, strong, and not larger than about 1/4" or 6mm. There's a ridge in the middle that blocks anything larger. 

Timing cover off; you'll need to take out one gear to see the plug, but it just slides off. The plug itself takes a lot of force to pound out.

Beneath the plug. The small hole (hard to see in the photo) is indeed partially blocked by the plug, but as it's on the bottom of the hole, you can modify the plug (once removed) by cutting away only half of it on the inside, which is photographed in the article shared earlier. 

As you may be able to tell, I cracked off some of where the plug sits, but it's because I bent something that I was pounding on in such a way that it could only come out from the left side of the engine, and when I drilled the plug out I did a pretty poor job. So don't try to drill the plug out, just hit it. 
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R
Attachments:

KZ305 Rebuild...attempt 11 May 2021 11:59 #848332

• 82KZ305Belt
  • User
Yikes. This may be above my grade level.