Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine too hot? 12 Jul 2006 11:50 #61444

• 77_650B1
  • 77_650B1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally got my bike fully back together yesterday. Woohoo. I went for a little 3km test ride, everything was fine, more power than i expected, btu when i got back i couldn't hold my hand on the cam cover for more than about 2-3 seconds, too hot. Is this even abnormal?

Now i have a new oil filter and a good conventional 10W40 in her, so i doubt its that. Could my channels be plugged? The only thing i had off the engine was the oil filter and the cam cover, but she's been laid up for a year. A friend said it could be running rich, so i'm gonna clean the carbs, they havent been touched in the year either, and make sure the pilot screws are correctly adjusted. Should have done that anyways.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine too hot? 12 Jul 2006 12:02 #61449

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
These are air cooled engines. After a couple of miles you can't touch my engine it's way hot. There is nothing wrong with yours it's normal.

Engine too hot? 12 Jul 2006 12:05 #61451

• NormZ
  • User
I think it is normal for the cam cover to be too hot to touch. However I would expect this after a 10-15 minute ride, not a short 3km ride.

If it is indeed hotter than normal, likely it is running lean. Lean=hotter and rich=cooler. Since it has sat over 1 year (probably with fuel in it) cleaning your carbs is a good idea. However, you may want to also check valve clearance and ignition as these can make it run hot also.

Engine too hot? 12 Jul 2006 12:09 #61452

• 77_650B1
  • 77_650B1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Its not too hot to touch, just too hot to touch for long. I'm gonna clean my carbs, I'd say thats prolly it if there is anything wrong. I just installed a Dyna-S, that wouldn't do it would it? I have the stock spark plugs.
1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Engine too hot? 12 Jul 2006 12:44 #61466

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Sounds about normal to me, too.
If your engine is running hot (too lean), you'll see it in your exaust pipes, right where they bolt to the engine. The chrome will turn yellow/brown (fairly common), then blue (also pretty common), then black (not common). Some members have even written that they've seen their pipe glowing (bad news)!
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Engine too hot? 12 Jul 2006 18:36 #61552

• Willo46
  • User
Not to make it sound stupid but there is hot engine oil just inside the cam cover. I've checked the cam cover with the motor running with a handheld infrared thermometer and it was about 200 degrees or so.

Keep an eye on it though if you feel concerned. I had trouble with my motor overheating after a rebuild. The rubber cam plugs would get so hot they started bulging out and the motor would get just cracking hot. It would not idle after a few miles. I fixed a lot of things on it, but after I discovered significant compression loss into the crankcase and rebuilt it yet again, I haven't had any trouble. I think the real problem was that the rings didn't seat due to my ignorant rebuild technique.

Good luck with that!

• Page: