Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 15 Aug 2019 12:14 #809208

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
It´s possible to turn the pointer plate 180 degrees of.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 15 Aug 2019 14:28 #809215

• kzsolo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I had a similar situation with a Yamaha XS400. Turned out that part of the problem was the butterfly seals on the carb shafts. Once the bike warmed a bit it would create a vacuum leak around the seals. They had small cracks in them.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 16 Aug 2019 06:32 #809254

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
A little motor like this is just about as complicated as my lawnmower. LOL With that little bit of sarcasm out of the way,.. ether + spark= KaBOOM. I do this quite often to seat the bead on a tire, if I can't get it to seal by pulling it up on the bead. Be sure to have your fingers out of the way or they will get smashed in the explosion.

ANY motor with 110 PSI compression and spark will fire on either. No spark = no kaboom. Easy peasy.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 17 Aug 2019 23:29 #809376

• Bloggs
  • Bloggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

RustToRedemption wrote: Bloggs did properly installing the mechanical advancer solve your problem?

Indeed it did, kudos for the help bro. Mech advancer re-installed correctly, had it timed perfectly 180 out haha. Fired up easy as on both electric and kick start!

Now to chase the hanging idle. It is only a hanging idle now, the hunting idle which was constant is gone.

Bike when warmed up and with no choke idles fantastically, has the hanging idle which comes down slowly after the motor is revved.

I'm guessing it's probably good etiquette to close off this thread and move over to the carby section to keep the threads clean and to the point, assuming the hanging idle is a lean condition that is.

No doubt they will say turf the old mikuni VM33 lol

Thanks again @rusttoredemption
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 17 Aug 2019 23:35 #809377

• Bloggs
  • User

Scirocco wrote: It´s possible to turn the pointer plate 180 degrees of.

100%

When you realise your on TDC comp stroke, watching the valves and realising the points are out 180deg it's a face palm moment.

Bonus to this is I learnt a hell of a lot along the way I didn't know before.
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 17 Aug 2019 23:54 #809378

• Bloggs
  • User

loudhvx wrote: On a Kz with points and one coil, I think you would notice if the points cam were installed backward. When trying to time the points, the timing marks would be too far off (180 degrees off) to time the points correctly. That would have raised questions before trying to start it.

Whereas, on the bikes with two coils, there are two sets of timing marks so it would be easy to confuse one set with the other.

Or, on bikes with electronic ignition, it's easy to flip the rotor since you are not checking the rotor with anything.

You wouldn't believe it, but, I did eventually notice lol

And it taught me to look at the system as a whole, not just when the timing marks roll on past.

The mech advancer lobe was 180 out, points cam rolls around once and the same timing marks go past twice on the crank, Statically timed on wrong stroke with cam lobe 180 out it was never going to fire.

When I popped the valve covers and watched valves in motion in relation to spark timing I said a few choice words, undid 4 screws, fixed the problem and reassembled.

Props to RustToRedemption.
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

Last edit: by Bloggs.
  • Page: