• Page:

TOPIC:

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 12 Aug 2019 16:14 #809082

• Bloggs
  • Bloggs's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I am having (some) alot of trouble starting my 1979 KZ200A, refresh yourself with my tale of woe below.

First of all, this bike was running, I was riding hot laps around the block and it was purring like a kitten. started pretty easily too.

I did have one issue (which was the last issue I was trying to resolve) a random increase in engine speed from idle to almost flat out revs without any intervention. Would be sitting on the center stand idling away and begin to increase in revs like the bike was possessed by some speedway demon. I could pull on the choke lever partially to control the revs, I also noticed that when I blipped the throttle it would also sometimes encourage this high revving to happen, and also to go away, but not all the time.

Anyways.

The last time my bike randomly revved high, it failed to start again. The list of things I have checked, checked and rechecked are as follows:

1. Mechanical advancer removed, checked, regreased, reinstalled (was lacking grease, a bit gummed up, thinking this was cause of random revving), bike was also previously checked (when running) for air leaks and none found.
2. Cam timing checked and its pretty damn close, less than half a tooth off the alignment mark in the head.
3. Static timing checked, (FAP) mark aligned on pointer to when points begin to open
4. Dynamic timing checked (at cranking speed only as it wont run), (FAP mark aligned to pointer)
5. Points GAP (dwell) checked and rechecked
5. Points plate checked and rechecked
6. Compression test 115Psi cold crank, 155Psi with a teaspoon of oil added, some piston ring wear im guessing
7. Spark plug & lead in good condition (NGK B8ES multiple plugs used)
8. Valve clearance (exhaust 0.4mm (limit 0.17-0.22) / intake 0.2mm (limit 0.08-0.13mm) - I will be resetting the clearance today.
9. I have even set the timing way out whilst using aerostart/ether to try and get it to kick (verifying is spark is occuring inside the head) have successfully got backfires out carby & large flames out exhaust.
10. Condensor resistance @ 17.5 Million Ohms

To check:
1. Coil
2. Reset valve clearance
3. Flux capacitor

Any other ideas? Please recall that bike was running, was revving high, and now it wont fire, not even with aerostart/ether. It definitely feels like a timing issue but timing is checking out perfectly. also recall I have checked all this multiple times, timing is spot on.

P.S. carb has been pulled of, pulled down, cleaned everything, reassembled and re-installed. Before fingers are pointed at a carb problem, even with a non functioning carby the bike should still at least kick with Ether/Aerostart.

Thanks guys!

Bloggs
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bloggs.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 12 Aug 2019 16:50 #809084

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
A hanging/high idle usually means a lean condition, often a result of a vacuum leak.

Did you install pods and if so did you rejet?

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 12 Aug 2019 16:51 #809085

• Tvag06
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Battery?
'80 KZ440D - Stripped for rebuild - kzrider.com/kunena/11-projects/611352-st...ng-a-rusty-80-kz440d
'04 Suzuki DL650 K4 V Strom

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 02:39 #809091

• Bloggs
  • User

Tvag06 wrote: Battery?

The bike runs an Antigravity 12V 4 cell lithium ion battery. Battery is great, was running previously with this battery.
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 02:47 #809092

• Bloggs
  • User

Nessism wrote: A hanging/high idle usually means a lean condition, often a result of a vacuum leak.

Did you install pods and if so did you rejet?

Correct high idle usually lean and points towards vacuum leak, tested for vacuum leak when running and could not find one.

I did however find a sticky mechanical advancing mechanism which i have regreased, but unfortunately i have not been able to start the bike to tell if that was the problem.

Yes bike runs a pod filter, no it has not been rejetted to accomodate, was running with the current pod filter installed.

When i am cranking this bike over including using ether/starting fluid/aerostart i dont even get small fire/ignition from the bike, i get nothing.

If i spray aerostart into carb and open it wide open it will back fire through carb with flames.

Carb is a Mikuni VM31 i believe, measured @ 31mm dia.
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

Last edit: by Bloggs.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 06:12 #809100

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
are you sure that your idle screw is set right?
78 KZ1000 A2A

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 06:42 #809103

• RustToRedemption
  • User
As everyone else said, hanging/surging idle state is from leaning condition from an air leak more likely than not. Often times, if the air leak is small, it can go undetected by the "spray and listen" test. Have the intake and airbox connector rubbers been replaced? Intake O-ring replaced?

When the bike was running, and then isn't running after I mess with stuff, the first thing I would do is check and double check everything that I messed with. Are you 100% positive you reinstalled the mechanical advancer correctly? Isnt assembling the mechanical advancer 180* backwards a common no-start problem when you've messed with the mechanical advance?

EDIT: Correction for clarity underlined

Last edit: by RustToRedemption.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 07:23 #809107

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
" installing the mechanical advancer 180* backwards" would definitely make it back fire if you used a starter fluid.

I know this from experience
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 16:51 #809145

• Bloggs
  • User

bluej58 wrote: are you sure that your idle screw is set right?

Hi bluej58,

Yes, I have not altered its position from when it ran last, even with an idle screw out of whack I would think I could still get the motor to kick with some aerostart/ether?
1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 13 Aug 2019 17:31 #809146

• Bloggs
  • User

RustToRedemption wrote: As everyone else said, hanging/surging idle state is from leaning condition from an air leak more likely than not. Often times, if the air leak is small, it can go undetected by the "spray and listen" test. Have the intake and airbox connector rubbers been replaced? Intake O-ring replaced?

When the bike was running, and then isn't running after I mess with stuff, the first thing I would do is check and double check everything that I messed with. Are you 100% positive you reinstalled the mechanical advancer correctly? Isnt assembling the mechanical advancer 180* backwards a common no-start problem when you've messed with the mechanical advance?

EDIT: Correction for clarity underlined

bluej58 wrote: " installing the mechanical advancer 180* backwards" would definitely make it back fire if you used a starter fluid.

I know this from experience

I've used liquid gasket against the head rubber as a check, new hose clamps, new rubber on pod filter, still wont fire (not even once) with starting fluid added either, only backfires out carb if throttle is held open.

Oh snap, i just realised replaying the pull down/re-build of the advancer in my head that the actual mechanical advancer lobe which controls the points and spark timing can be installed exactly 180 deg out on the advancer base plate, which could, when timed dynamically, show as being timed correctly but is actually firing on the wrong stroke, and timed statically show as being timed correctly but on the stroke.

I have the valve covers off at the moment so Ill check TDC and check what the points are doing.

@bluej58 @RustToRedemption I think you guys might be on the money!

P.S. thats not a cracked arm below, just some moly grease.

1979 KZ200A - cafe racer
1980 KZ250 - brat style

Last edit: by Bloggs. Reason: pictures

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 15 Aug 2019 07:26 #809200

• RustToRedemption
  • User
Bloggs did properly installing the mechanical advancer solve your problem?

1979 KZ200A - Will not start (need a guru) 15 Aug 2019 09:25 #809201

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
On a Kz with points and one coil, I think you would notice if the points cam were installed backward. When trying to time the points, the timing marks would be too far off (180 degrees off) to time the points correctly. That would have raised questions before trying to start it.

Whereas, on the bikes with two coils, there are two sets of timing marks so it would be easy to confuse one set with the other.

Or, on bikes with electronic ignition, it's easy to flip the rotor since you are not checking the rotor with anything.

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: