Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Headgasket 23 May 2019 22:56 #804474

• Kwakers
  • Kwakers's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Athena gaskets DON'T touch them. I replced the topend gasket set after i holed one of my pistons and its leaked ever since. So im now getting fed up with an oily foot . So its strip down again i thought I'd buy an Athena gasket set unfortunately it didn't contain the rubber o'rings had to buy them separately along with the cam end half moon seals. I cleaned everything and inspected and reassembled reset the shims for the valve clearance. Started the motor up took it for a blast. And you've guessed its still leaking in the same place. Has anybody gad the same issue with these aftermarket gaskets? Im going to replace the headgasket again but use a genuine kawasaki gasket. So I'll get back with the results in a few weeks time as ive got to save up for another gasket there not cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Headgasket 24 May 2019 02:16 #804479

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I always use OEM gaskets for the engine, although in the past I've used others. Vesrah is good.

When you mentioned o-rings I assume you mean the ones around the cylinder sleeves?

Just wondering....did you torque the head down in the correct bolt sequence? Did you use a torque wrench?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Headgasket 24 May 2019 03:43 #804481

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
OEM gaskets or Cometic for me

No Problems

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Headgasket 24 May 2019 05:19 #804483

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 599
What bike?

Did you heat cycle the new gasket once & re-torque again when cold before ridin'?

Agree with the above re: correct assembly process and brands. Never heard of Athena.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Headgasket 24 May 2019 05:35 #804485

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2677
Athena gaskets suck. I've posted these photos several times previously as a warning but not many people search out such info.
The damage occured because the base gasket couldn't take the clamp load. I retorqued the head after a rebuild and found the torque super low. After the second retorque the gasket extruded out of place. Never again.

IMG_1931 by nessism , on Flickr

IMG_1930 by nessism , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, 650ed, slmjim+Z1BEBE, Scirocco, Kwakers

Headgasket 24 May 2019 08:20 #804505

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Thinking it was your warning Ness that steered me away from these green gaskets and to oem. Used the Wiseco head gasket that came with the kit but everything else oem.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Headgasket 24 May 2019 09:43 #804512

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 599

Nessism wrote: Athena gaskets suck.

Looks like melted plastic.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakers

Headgasket 24 May 2019 12:50 #804520

• Kwakers
  • User
Yep used a torque wrench. correct sequence, followed the manual to the letter. It wasn't leaking with the original gasket it only started after fitting the after market gaskets been a mechanic for over 40 years so i feel i know what I'm doing apart from trying to things cheaply but i think ive learned my lesson

Headgasket 24 May 2019 15:17 #804524

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I didn't mean to insult you with my questions about torque wrenches. It normally would be a given, but some people......well you never know.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kwakers

Headgasket 26 May 2019 22:22 #804656

• Kwakers
  • User
None taken thanks
Just done 200 miles and no oily foot, so the jury's out for the moment. i resorted to a wynns oil additive its supposed to stop minor oil leaks and its safe apparently. I even put a small amount of epoxy resin over the seepage as the oil is not leaking under pressure, so far so good, ill kerp you posted
The only issue i had on my journey was the balance pipe between the down pipes worked its way to one side so i had a noisey ride home. Need to get some new seals for the pipe.

Headgasket 26 May 2019 22:36 #804657

• Kwakers
  • User
Wish i read your post first would have saved me time and money ive now put a genuine base gasket on . Which is holding up fine but i still have the afternarket athena head gasket on and keeping fingers crossed it was leaking or seeping at the front ot the head between the down pipes but its now stopped after putting in some Wynns oil additive which is supposed to stop small leaks. I KNOW it's not very proffesional but needs must. Had to try something as i promised to visit my daughter while she was camping with her family . So at the moment no oily foot after 200 miles

Headgasket 02 Jun 2019 09:29 #805025

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Has anyone used the Cometic MLS head gaskets? I think they discontinued the composition gaskets that leak, but haven't heard anything on the new MLS.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

• Page: