• Page:

TOPIC:

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 11 Feb 2019 18:28 #798510

• Z1F-00888
  • Z1F-00888's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,
I live in Nevada and have a 73 Z1. The bike has not run since 1980! I need a good place to send my engine/trans/carbs for a complete rebuild/restore. Anybody have any suggestions or experience of who can do it?

Thank so much!

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 11 Feb 2019 19:46 #798517

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
If that's your frame S/N you have a real jewel.

If your intent is to restore it I would highly recommend you join the website listed below because it has the best Z1 900 owners and restorers in the world as members.

This is the guy for your carbs. wgcarbs.com/

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com/forum/index.p...4b557e2f9155b49414e0
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 11 Feb 2019 19:57 #798518

• Z1F-00888
  • User
Thanks! I will join that group and see where it takes me. BTW. That is my frame number :) I just acquired it from a fella whose Dad bought it new in Dec. 1972. His dad rode it until 1980 and then parked it in his garage. The owner (dad) passed in December last year. It is 99% complete but obviously needs to be restored.

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 11 Feb 2019 20:08 #798519

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
One of the posters there is John Brookes. He has published a book on date codes for early Zeds that is essential reading for anyone who wants a correct restoration. A friend of mine who posts there is currently restoring 1006.

If the bike is still original you may not want to do much to it, as it's worth a lot more unrestored.

Edited to add that a few photos would be nice!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 11 Feb 2019 20:11 #798520

• Z1F-00888
  • User
Great. Thank for the info! :)

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 12 Feb 2019 04:38 #798528

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 166
Ditto the Photos!!

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 12 Feb 2019 07:37 #798534

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
The carbs probably must be rebuilt. The motor? Maybe not.

Miles on the odometer? And pics! Please post pics.

If you're mechanically inclined, get the Kawasaki service & parts manuals, and the Kawasaki service bulletins. Learning the bike will pay enormous dividends in knowledge, reliability and cost savings.

Before you make it go, make certain it'll stop. Focus on the brakes early.

The old air-cooled Z motors are very robust. Unless water has entered the motor there may not be much that truly needs to be done. As long as the motor can be turned through a few complete revolutions by hand with the kickstarter after a squirt of oil down each plug hole, we'd try starting it depending on the results of a complete maintenance servicing. Check the valves, oil & filter change, ignition tune, camchain adjust, etc., etc., etc. Do a cold compression test, maybe a leakdown test if compression looke suspect. If compression looks anywhere near to normal, start it & run it for a while. It may well be that it'll run just fine.

The clutch plates are almost certainly stuck. Replace the fiber plates and check the steel plats for flatness.

If the motor is cosmetically challenged due to flaking paint (likely), it is possible to refinish it assembled but out of the frame. We keep a set of covers (valve, dyno, points, etc.) for just that purpose.

Then there's a philosophical question that might be considered: It's only original once. There's something to be said for retaining the patina of age. If it is indeed 99% original, there is worth associated with an unrestored original.

Next step up is to do a refurb, as in disassembly, simple cleaning & re-assembly, but no refinishing. That splits the difference between unrestored and restored, leaving "clean" patina.

Then there's the full-on resto. Time & money are the keys to a good, full resto.

We'll second hardrockminer's invite to join us at www.kawasaki-z-classik.com. Our membership will welcome and offer encouragement for new owner of a 99% Z1.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 12 Feb 2019 08:19 #798537

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Not only the possible damage due to condensation in the cylinders another reason to open it up are the "rubberized" cam chain rollers. They get hard and brittle with age and can come apart resulting in major engine damage. It would be best to open it up to inspect the rollers and guides. If the cylinders look good you can stop there but replacing the valve guide seals is a must on a older engine.
I would suggest Liska rollers, the guides and center roller along with other parts can be found at Z1E among other places.
If you decide to do it yourself you will get plenty of advice and guidance here.
Besides, as I always say, "There's a certain security and satisfaction in knowing what's going on in between your legs. :woohoo:
Steve

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 12 Feb 2019 14:02 #798552

• Z1F-00888
  • User
Thanks for the great advice!

I know that some would simply want to restore and sell it, but I am leaning towards restoring it and keeping it. I am 58 yo and have owned and ridden bikes since I was 8. I remember being in "awe" of the KZ 900 as a kid and always wanted one. For some reason, despite owning numerous bikes, I never had one. I just want to restore/refresh it so that it is a reliable ride.

I have already started the teardown, but I will upload pics of what I have.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Need Advice? 1973 Z1 Engine Rebuild 12 Feb 2019 16:48 #798569

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
Where are you located ? I can handle this job for you if you are on the east coast I just finished a 1974 Z1 for a Customer.
1984 750 Turbo

• Page: