Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 28 Jan 2019 15:48 #797765

• DWebb
  • DWebb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Hello gentlemen

I have lurked for quite a bit and am taking the plunge. I saw recently there was a lot of talk about Delkevic Exhausts. I took the plunge back in September and bought a 4 into 1 for my KZ1000.

I had some health issues and the bike sat for a while just after I put the exhaust on.

I started it up on Friday and it rode quite nicely. After about 5 miles the pipes turned gold. I rode a bit more over the weekend in the nice weather - about 65-70 degrees, an

It seems now there are blue flecks in place of the gold at the header on the pipes. What might be the cause of this?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DWebb.

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 28 Jan 2019 16:18 #797766

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Gold is good. Blue is lean.
Steve

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 28 Jan 2019 16:21 #797767

• DWebb
  • Visitor

SWest wrote: Gold is good. Blue is lean.
Steve

Thank you for your message.

I was just doing some research. Running rich seems to cause bluing as well. I did leave the choke on for about 5 miles when I was riding andI forgot. The pipes didnt blue until after that. Its not the entire top of the pipe thats blue, just little blue spots like paint splatter.

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 28 Jan 2019 23:11 #797786

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Maybe oil or something else splashed on them.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 06:09 #797795

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Gold color. I think that's what stainless steel pipes do, turn gold. The ZR7/ZR7S models from the early 2000s had a ss muffler system & just about every one of them I've seen has a golden hue. Here's a pic of Andy-the-Gringo's KZ650 w ZR-7 exhaust.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 07:31 #797798

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

DWebb wrote:

Steve

Thank you for your message.
I was just doing some research. Running rich seems to cause bluing as well. I did leave the choke on for about 5 miles when I was riding andI forgot. The pipes didnt blue until after that. Its not the entire top of the pipe thats blue, just little blue spots like paint splatter.

Steve is right. The bluing is from a lean condition overheating the metal to make it change color. The only way a rich condition would cause bluing is if it were causing excessive heating of the metal. My Delkevic exhaust also turned yellow within minutes after I installed it.

BTW, Welcome to the site. I am impressed that you were able to immediately figure out the software and insert your pics inline with your post. It make it soooo much easier to reference the text while viewing the pics.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 07:48 #797802

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
I have a touch of blue on my Delkevic header at the engine and suspect mixture is a tad rich ( (better rich than lean). It has been this way since 2017 and I am not concerned.
Most BMW flat /opposed twin airheads have SS headers that are quite blue and some people dig the blue. I haven't noticed the collector but checking will have to wait until our snow melts and things warm up.

Plug pic summer 2018
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

Last edit: by JR.

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 09:16 #797807

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655

Steve

Steve you do realise this is 650dude in his latest pseudonym Dwebb? Think he must have miss-spelt it though, think he was looking for dweeb

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 10:03 #797811

• DWebb
  • Visitor

Warren3200gt wrote:

Steve

Steve you do realise this is 650dude in his latest pseudonym Dwebb? Think he must have miss-spelt it though, think he was looking for dweeb

I made a post revealing my identity. Youre such a little girl posting this. Didnt need you to chime in, but clearly there is lack in your life and you need to feel important.

Straight up, youre a clown .Youre always following me from forum to forum harassing me. Must be because you saw the pics of my wife, the gorgeous blond model and our kids and youre jealous . Your life must be MISERABLE. You also must have seen the Aventador I have and the Enzo. Pure jealousy!

Last edit: by DWebb.

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 10:09 #797812

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 655
Whatever you say dickhead. Your the one that got yourself banned but felt the need to troll this site under another name.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, old_kaw

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 11:17 #797816

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

DWebb wrote: Hello gentlemen

I have lurked for quite a bit and am taking the plunge. I saw recently there was a lot of talk about Delkevic Exhausts. I took the plunge back in September and bought a 4 into 1 for my KZ1000.

I had some health issues and the bike sat for a while just after I put the exhaust on.

I started it up on Friday and it rode quite nicely. After about 5 miles the pipes turned gold. I rode a bit more over the weekend in the nice weather - about 65-70 degrees, an

It seems now there are blue flecks in place of the gold at the header on the pipes. What might be the cause of this?

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Hello from Page Arizona. Exhaust Question on a KZ1000 29 Jan 2019 11:17 #797817

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967

DWebb wrote:

Warren3200gt wrote:

Steve

I made a post revealing my identity. Youre such a little girl posting this. Didnt need you to chime in, but clearly there is lack in your life and you need to feel important.

Straight up, youre a clown .Youre always following me from forum to forum harassing me. Must be because you saw the pics of my wife, the gorgeous blond model and our kids and youre jealous . Your life must be MISERABLE. You also must have seen the Aventador I have and the Enzo. Pure jealousy!

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn