• Page:

TOPIC:

dragging/scraping noise coming from clutch 01 Nov 2018 19:48 #793248

• Robb2018
  • Robb2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29
I'm towards the end of my KZ900 project, when test riding the first time I heard a dragging/scraping sound coming from the front of the bike. At first it sounded like a brake puck dragging but then I noticed that when I pulled the clutch in it went away. After pulling the clutch apart I found two broken friction plates... at first I thought.. good this must be it but then realized this wouldn't account for the dragging noise. I pulled off the clutch basket and saw that there was nothing between the "pusher" and the spring plate. I've never had a Kaw clutch apart before but every other bike I've had has had a thrust washer and flat needle bearing between the two mating surfaces. Looking at the exploded view in the manual I didn't see a needle bearing in there nor did I see it on the exploded view on Bike Bandit. I'm certain the steel pusher isn't supposed to mate up against the aluminum surface of the spring plate. What am I missing here?

Also... since I know the PO was a hack, and now I realize he was inside the clutch probably, I started checking around in there. I grabbed the clutch housing and found a tiny bit of play in it. Also when turning the spline axle coming through the housing, I hear a little play in the gears behind the clutch housing. Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.
KZ900; Z1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dragging/scraping noise coming from clutch 02 Nov 2018 04:06 #793258

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
My 78 1000 did not have a bearing as you describe
APE makes such a thrust bearing and I added it during one of my upgrade builds.
When you ad this bearing not so much stress and friction is placed on the ball bearing on the opposite end of the pusher mushroom.
You also have to shorten the rod a bit to fit the new bearing into the same amount of space
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb2018

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

dragging/scraping noise coming from clutch 02 Nov 2018 04:15 #793259

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595
There should be a single steel ball bearing inside the hollow clutch shaft between the clutch pushrod and the spring plate pusher. This allows the pusher to easily rotate with the spring plate.

A tiny amount of play is often seen in the clutch basket buffer springs. Unless one or more clutch basket spring is actually broken, not to worry. Ditto the tiny amount of lash in the tranny.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb2018

dragging/scraping noise coming from clutch 02 Nov 2018 05:12 #793260

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1460
The OEM pusher does not have a radial bearing as mentioned earlier and problems with the pusher would not quieten when the clutch is pulled in as this would put even more load on it.
All big zed clutches make a bit of noise due to the straight cut gears and the damper springs in the back plate.
Excessive wear in the damper springs or broken springs does cause a lot of chatter which quietens when the clutch is pulled in and this can also break plates so that is where you need to look first
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest, Robb2018

dragging/scraping noise coming from clutch 02 Nov 2018 09:38 #793274

• Robb2018
  • Robb2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll just replace the broken plates and put it back together. I'll check the springs first and replace them if needed.
KZ900; Z1

• Page: