Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Engine painting? 20 Oct 2018 10:58 #792607

• Orinoko
  • Orinoko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Guys,I'm a newbie on here and am restoring a Z1100A2 from 82,I've owned it since 86 and we've been alot of places together.
Anyway I'm in the process of restoring this beauty that actually is in pretty fine fettle.
So my question is abou engine case finishes.I have completely dismantled the engine ready to be vapour blasted.
Once this is done should I leave alone,paint a correct siver colour (which one?) or lacquer,obviously heat proof.
Any suggestions please.
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Engine painting? 20 Oct 2018 14:30 #792615

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I used VHT rattle can paint on my 750 engine and consider it a mistake. Despite heat curing the paint in an oven per the mfg instructions it flakes off in large pieces under bolt heads and such. It gets soft if gasoline touches it too. If I could do it again I'd use Gunkote. I used it on my wheels and brake calipers and they turned out nicely. Far tougher and more chemically resistant compared to rattle can paint. It sprays well but needs to be heat cured.

Engine painting? 20 Oct 2018 15:36 #792617

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Not sure if you can get it in the US but simonez tough paint range is good stuff. Fuel and heat resistant. Works a treat on engine cases No primer needed. Available in both silver and satin black.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Engine painting? 26 Oct 2018 19:22 #792863

• VTEC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
I've had good and bad luck with VHT paint. The bad was using Nu-Cast Aluminum. It turns gold when it gets hot. No shit, serious gold. I bitched to the company and they gave me significant money for my troubles. They obviously knew it was an issue.

But Universal Aluminum works pretty well. I've even tested it with gasoline without a mark.

I think the biggest factor is the surface you're painting. Over old paint isn't gonna work. I glass bead, spray with brake clean and blow dry, then paint as per instructions. I think the curing in an oven at 200F is BS. You should let is sit for a month minimum before firing the engine, then engine heat will do the rest of the curing.
KZ1000-K2
ZRX1100
XR400R

Engine painting? 27 Oct 2018 07:10 #792873

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
I found Duplicolor Aluminum Engine Paint with Ceramic to be a near-perfect match for color. It's easy to use, dries quickly and is durable. Readily available at NAPA :)

www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DE1615-Cerami...Engine/dp/B000B68V9A
1982 KZ1100-A2

• Page: