• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 15 Oct 2018 19:13 #792350

• outbackjimnt
  • outbackjimnt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking for advice.

Rebuilt the 81 KZ650 and did the AFR with the colortune so they're each just yellow. idles beautifully. One thing I noticed after a few minutes of idling, cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4. There is a noticeable difference to the touch on the cam covers left and right sides. It is a real problem because the jugs are painted and the left side is becoming discoloured. I assume it is both 1 & 2 but it may be only one of them.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this issue. I will check the AFR again and look at the carb sync in case there is a difference causing 1, 2 or both to overheat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 15 Oct 2018 20:48 #792352

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
A simple and painless way to determine if there is a dramatic temperature difference between cylinders is to load a plastic spray bottle with some good, old fashioned water, and spray a litte on each exhaust pipe near the head while the engine is running. Notice how violent the sizzling is and how quickly the water evaporates. It will be more violent and quicker on the hotter pipes. If you want a more accurate assessment, a decent infrared thermometer will do the trick.
A more painful and expensive way would be to grab each pipe and pay attention to how much flesh is charred and how quickly. This is not generally the recommended method. :whistle:
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: outbackjimnt

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 05:23 #792358

• Hardgun
  • User
  • STERCUS ACCIDIT
  • Thank you received: 12

TexasKZ wrote: A more painful and expensive way would be to grab each pipe and pay attention to how much flesh is charred and how quickly. This is not generally the recommended method. :whistle:

Nonsense! Just lick a finger and touch the pipe real quick! B)
But seriously, whether you do that or the spray bottle, the water (and/or saliva) should sizzle pretty violently and evaporate off the pipes darn near instantly. What leads you to the determination that 1&2 are running hotter than they should? Just the paint discoloration?
1983 KZ750 LTD
1982 KZ1100 A2 Cafe

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 05:45 #792362

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
If you have the stock ignition coils & spark plug wires, I would redo the plug wire connections at all points. the plug wires unscrew from the coils by unscrewing the ribbed compression boots. If there's oxidation on the plug wires, nip off the ends. or go ahead & get new. I solved an intermittent firing problem by redoing the connections, then later got a new Dyna spark plug wire set when replacing the ign coils.

Coils. Check the coils to see if they're getting hot. press hard with your fingers. they should be warm, not hot. Mine were very hot, so I got new green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils from Z1Enterprises.com. the grey Dynas are a closer match for the stock electronic ignition, but I got the green ones in case I had to get the Dyna S. I replaced the spark plug wires at the same time.

Battery. make sure the battery is good & fully charged and do a load test. the motorcycle needs a good, fully charged battery to run right. I use a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 digital multimeter. I have the same motorcycle.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 06:06 #792365

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
A few drops of beer, then dispose of the rest as you see fit.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 07:06 #792366

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I would check the vacuum level of the carbs to ensue they are all the same. Also, how long are you letting the bike sit there and idle, and what is the outside air temperature? If the air temperature is pretty high the air cooled engine can get pretty hot rather quickly if the bike is stationary. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 14:43 #792399

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

Warren3200gt wrote: A few drops of beer, then dispose of the rest as you see fit.

That is alcohol abuse!
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 20:56 #792413

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
:lol: :lol: :lol:

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 16 Oct 2018 23:44 #792414

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656

TexasKZ wrote:

Warren3200gt wrote: A few drops of beer, then dispose of the rest as you see fit.

That is alcohol abuse!

Your concentrating on the wrong part of my post. Any excuse to open a tinny will do for me !

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 17 Oct 2018 02:10 #792419

• outbackjimnt
  • outbackjimnt's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes. not sure if both 1, 2 or both are the issue. The discoloration was quite evident after a short idle period. Mind you since then, I have found that 4 is not firing due to a faulty new spark plug. Replaced it ok but not run the bike yet so it may just be that which was causing the difference on each side. The discoloration may also now occur on the side of 3 & 4 now which I suspect may be due to a clear-coat that was applied over the paint. Don't ask who put it on as it will cause me to lie...........:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
I intend to get the jugs and head aqua blasted when I remove them to replace the piston rings due to low compression I recently checked. I will get back onto it on the weekend and let you know the outcome.

Jim

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 17 Oct 2018 06:37 #792427

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Just in case something isn't connected correctly. the cylinders, spark plugs, etc are numbered 1-2-3-4 .Left-to-Right .sitting on the motorcycle.

RH ignition coil = 1-4 spark plug wires with red (+) & black (-) primary wires.

LH ignition coil = 2-3 spark plug wires with red (+) & green (-) primary wires.

The stock coils are embossed with (+) & (-) at the end near the primary terminals, but I'm not sure if it matters.
I would go ahead and connect red to pos (+) & black/green to neg (-). see the 1981 KZ650 service manual. section 6-6. Polarity of ignition coil.

There are resistance checks for the ignition coils in the manual. The coils can test good but still be bad, especially when tested cold. Inspect them for cracks or damage. A simple check mentioned previously is to ride the motorcycle to fully warm it up, then feel the coils to see if they're getting hot. press hard with your fingers. they should be warm, not hot.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ650 cylinders 1 & 2 run hotter than 3 & 4 17 Oct 2018 07:15 #792429

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Was it a resistor plug? I've seen those fail more often than non-resistor. I don't even see how a non-resistor plug can fail, but it probably happens.

• Page: