Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SOMEONE HELP 31 Aug 2018 06:33 #790040

• BlazeWatson
  • BlazeWatson's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1976 Kawasaki KZ400. I have done lot of work to the bike. I fixed every thing tht was wrong and rode my bike for over 100 the first day it was plated.

The next day, I went out and got on it, started fine, put it in first gear, but it felt like it had no power. It was in first, but rpms had to be very very high to get it going. Once I got down the road and picked up enough speed I was fine. The problem persisted into the next day. The day after that, there is nothing. I can but the bike into first gear, I can feel if enguage, but when I give it throttle, RPMs go up, but the bike does not move. I can fully release the clutch level as well and the bike does not stall. When I rode the bike the day before it went out, the only issues I was seeing was that when cruising around 55/60 the RPMs would rev up randomly. I would be steady on the throttle, but it would feel like something would slip and the RPMs would shoot up.

I described what I was experiencing to a friend of mine, and he said without hesitation, your clutch plates are slipping. Explained to me what happens when plates slip, and it made sense.

Well... I replaced my clutch plates and the problem persists. The only other information I can provide is that if the back tire is off the ground, the tire will spin, but if you push your foot against it, the tire will stop.

I am stuck here. I have taken it to two of my knowledgeable friends, and they are also stuck. I have attached a video showing me putting the bike into gear and what it sounds like.

Thanks for any help,
Blaze Watson
Attachments:

IMG_8261.mov

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ.

SOMEONE HELP 31 Aug 2018 06:38 #790041

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Be sure the clutch cable is moving in and out freely and the adjustment in the sprocket cover is done right.
Steve

SOMEONE HELP 31 Aug 2018 06:41 #790042

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
If while in gear the revs go up but the bike does not accelerate at a comparable rate the clutch is slipping. Have you adjusted the clutch? Replacing the clutch plates won't help if the clutch is not properly adjusted. Also, what motor oil are you using? Is the oil JASO-MA certified? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

SOMEONE HELP 31 Aug 2018 07:09 #790046

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
SWest and 650Ed have posted the most common causes for your symptoms. To summarize,
The clutch cable must be in good shape (no broken strands or kinks) and needs to be well lubricated, as does the clutch lever.
The cable needs to be correctly adjusted. Kawasaki requires the adjustment be made in a particular order. It is important.
Modern automotive engine oil has friction modifiers that can be deadly to motorcycle clutches. If there is an energy conserving label on the bottle, it is not to be used in wet clutch engines. Most diesel engine oil is fine to use, but to be absolutely sure, use oil that lists JASO-MA certification on the bottle.
Also possible is that the clutch release mechanism inside the chain cover is gummed up and in need of careful cleaning and fresh lubrication.

Less likely, but possible--
The clutch release rod is badly gummed up with chain lube and dirt causing it to hang up and not always release fully.
The clutch springs are shot and need to be replaced.

The very first symptom you mentioned, having to rev a lot to get going, is probably unrelated to the clutch slippage. We can address that when this problem is solved.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

SOMEONE HELP 31 Aug 2018 18:46 #790079

• hugorruss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It sounds like you need to adjust the screw in the clutch cable cover where the far end of the clutch cable ends. If it is too far in, this screw will push the push rod, pushing your clutch plates out and giving you all the symptoms you mentioned. Probably on day 1 it was OK but by the second day you'd burned enough clutch it started to me a real issue.

Good luck!

SOMEONE HELP 31 Aug 2018 19:08 #790081

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I had a cable last year so gummed up it wouldn't let the clutch fully engage.
Steve

SOMEONE HELP 09 Sep 2018 18:50 #790624

• BlazeWatson
  • User
I have replaced the clutch cable and have adjusted it in every way possible. I believe it is an interior issue. Hoping someone has experienced something similar and was able to resolve the problem.

Thanks,
Blaze

SOMEONE HELP 10 Sep 2018 07:50 #790651

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 362

BlazeWatson wrote: I have replaced the clutch cable and have adjusted it in every way possible. I believe it is an interior issue. Hoping someone has experienced something similar and was able to resolve the problem.

Just so we're absolutely clear, you have adjusted the clutch in the following ways:

- on the lever perch

- at the middle of the cable, on the frame downtube near the front of the engine

- under the small aluminum cover which is above the shifter and is held on by two screws

Do you have a factory service manual and are you following the procedures as described in the FSM?

Related to that and to what others have said, are you 100% certain you are using the correct oil?
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

SOMEONE HELP 10 Sep 2018 17:50 #790695

• BlazeWatson
  • User
Yes, I followed the manual, step by step and did not get any change in the problem so I tried tweaking the adjustments for damn near two hours hoping to get something. There was still no reaction.

I do not know the brand, but I am using 10w40 oil. It is not synthetic. Is there a specific brand/ type of oil that I should try to use?

Thanks,
Blaze Watson

SOMEONE HELP 10 Sep 2018 17:52 #790696

• BlazeWatson
  • User
Would this adjustment be made on the same side as the clutch plates? I had made multiple adjustment to the clutch cable and clutch adjuster on the left side of the bike and have yielded no results. Is there and adjustment screw I may be missing?

Thanks,
Blaze Watson

SOMEONE HELP 10 Sep 2018 20:15 #790700

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
All the adjustments are on the left side of the engine, and they must be done in the order outlined in the factory service manual.
The clutch release mechanism may be packed up with dirt and dried grease. Have you cleaned and relubed it? It is reference numbers 1-8 in the diagram at the link below.
Do not use automotive engine oil. It will have an energy conserving label on the front of the bottle. An oil that meets JASO-MA specifications is best. A popular choice is Shell Rotella T. It is a diesel engine oil that also meets JASO-MA.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...ch-76-77-kz400-d3-d4
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

SOMEONE HELP 11 Sep 2018 06:11 #790713

• BlazeWatson
  • User
I have cleaned and relubed to clutch mechanism. When the clutch plate cover if off you can see that there is plenty of movement, both in and out.

I will try the oil suggested and hope to get something. Is it possible that the wrong oil could cause this much of an impact?

Thanks,
Blaze Watson

• Page: