Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crank cleaning 25 Jun 2006 14:14 #57048

• CTSZ1
  • CTSZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I should have hauled the engine down to the car wash and given her a good spray but I didn't.

So when I disassembled my 82,000 mile 903 engine some crud fell down through the cam chain hole and onto my crank. Now I've got grit on the outside of my crank and bearings. Anyone have a good way of cleaning the crank and not forcing grit into the bearings and how can I be sure the bearings are clean internally before re-assembly? May be elementary, but I don't want to wipe out a bearing. What's your method?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crank cleaning 25 Jun 2006 16:06 #57066

• wireman
  • Visitor
use a good non waterbased solvent let it soak then start scrubbing if the motor had synthetic oil used in it youll be there a while.are you getting crank pins welded?;)

Crank cleaning 25 Jun 2006 18:51 #57117

• CTSZ1
  • User
Thanks Wireman. From reading your posts I'm assuming you have done this many times. HAve you ever actually gotten the grit in the bearings? I haven't yet, but was concerned that if I did it might be hard to get out and to be sure you did.

Welding the crank pins? Is that a question or a suggestion?:) I hadn't actually thought about it. I had heard of guys doing that for racing motors, is it benefical in stock street engines also?

By the way, if the motor is cared for, how long will these bearings last?

Thanks

Crank cleaning 25 Jun 2006 20:00 #57138

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah ive been in the trenches once or twice!haha ive seen z1 motors with over 30,000 miles that didnt need anything done to bottem end.but as long as youve got the bottem end apart id get a long drill blank and check to make sure crank isnt twisted and weld the pins .id soak crank really good and give it a good scrubbing that should take care of any trash in there maybe check rods for play side to side.where are you located?

Crank cleaning 26 Jun 2006 03:55 #57182

• CTSZ1
  • User
I'm located in the Fort Wayne, IN area

Crank cleaning 26 Jun 2006 06:30 #57206

• wireman
  • Visitor
well thats a little out of my neighborhood,i was gonna say bring it over and we'll clean her up for ya:(

Crank cleaning 26 Jun 2006 08:54 #57224

• CTSZ1
  • User
Wireman, don't you know that's just a good excuse for a short ride. Nebraska to Indiana should be just a weekend trip for you!:P

Thanks for the thought, I can get her cleaned up, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a big deal with the crud getting on the crank and bearings.

Thanks

Crank cleaning 26 Jun 2006 11:48 #57263

• wireman
  • Visitor
the wife has the day off today,shes been screaming since she got up!skipper76 is coming up from missouri tomorrow if i wasnt waiting for him id be in the truck right now with a parts washer and scrub brushes heading your way to get some peace and quiet!!!!!:S :woohoo:

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/06/26 18:19

• Page: