No power 24 Jun 2006 17:31 #56865

• jackieray
  • jackieray's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My Bike:
78 KZ650xxx is what is says on the VIN tag
KZ750xxx is what it says on the engine stamp
I have had it for 8 months I ride it every day to work and back and have had a few wiring issues that I caused by changing the handlebars and twisting some stuff, along with oily looking spark plugs that seem to foul out every 6 months or so. About 1 month ago I replaced the plugs with slightly hotter plugs “it will make them last longer” is what I was told at the bike shop. The bike ran great then…

The Problem:
I was accelerating from a stop light, shifting up in gears I started hearing this clicking noise that sounded with the idle from the left hand side of the bike. I pull over and shut off the bike, I sat there for about a minute then tried to start it. It fired right up with no clicking but sounded kind of rough. I rode home. I checked all the plugs and they spark very well, I cleaned the air filters, and checked to make sure the carburetors were all together as it said is some of the forums and gas runs freely from tank to carburetors. It starts,runs and operates but sounds “not right” almost hollow and has no umph.

Thank you for your help

Post edited by: jackieray, at: 2006/06/24 20:41

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No power 24 Jun 2006 18:12 #56870

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Jackie, I would first do this... get a spray bottle and put some water in it. Then, I would warm the bike and spray each of the exhaust head pipes in turn. The cylinders on your bike are numbered 1 to 4 starting on the left as you sit on the bike. I say this, so you will be able to say which pipes are affected by the spray in a certain way. Anyway, if the pipe vaporizes the water, that is expected. If the water steams some but rolls off and to the ground, that is not so good. This will tell you if a cylinder isn't firing. I suspect you might have a couple different issues that need rectifying but this is a place to start... make sure all four cylinders are firing. The most common cause of sudden lack of power is one of the cylinders is not firing. Let me know. Thanks
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

No power 24 Jun 2006 18:55 #56872

• jackieray
  • jackieray's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Dang I should have asked my questions a long time ago, it is no.2 the plug does throw big sparks when it is connected to the wire sitting on the side of the motor. There is a short in the wire if I touch it I can feel a pulse I tried to tape it up with no luck.

Post edited by: jackieray, at: 2006/06/24 23:01

• Page: