• Page:

TOPIC:

converting shaft drive 23 Dec 2006 01:13 #101310

• vegasvideo
  • vegasvideo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • "Fat Guys need love too!"
  • Thank you received: 0
I know that it is possible, but does anyone know what is involved in converting a shaft drive 81 kz1000 motor to a chain final drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

converting shaft drive 23 Dec 2006 07:04 #101330

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The bevel gear case on your bike is shaped differently than a chain drive countershaft sprocket cover. First thing would be a chain drive crankshaft. The engine cases would have to be swapped for a chain drive cover I think. Now that you have a basically a new bottom end, you will have to figure out how to put a chain drive swingarm on your bike. Note the shafty has TWO smaller pivot points while the chain has one big pivot for the swingarm. The fittings on the frame are likely wrong because I believe the small shaft pivots are driven in place and ride on needle bearings so you would have to do some fabrication to get a chain swingarm mounted. Next, you will have to get a chain drive rear wheel. You will have to also buy a chain driver outer countershaft cover... By the time you finish, I suspect you could be using your old carburetors and front suspension. Seems to me if you want a chain drive bike, it would be cheaper and easier to buy a chain drive bike. I personally like shaft drive bikes... not as much noise, little maintenance and much cleaner. You pay for this by adding a couple of pounds and losing a little rear wheel horsepower. Since the bikes we are talking about are not speed wagons to begin with, a couple less horsepower than a chain drive model doesn't seem to be much of a price to pay.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

converting shaft drive 23 Dec 2006 13:37 #101385

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I didn't think the engine changeover was that complicated, so I just checked kawasaki.com.

Both chain and shaft models have the same part numbers for the cranks and cases.

I think you would have to change the output shaft on the trans and use the chain drive bike sprocket cover.

I assume you want to put the shaft drive motor in a chain drive frame.
KD9JUR

converting shaft drive 23 Dec 2006 21:52 #101473

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
very possible! not difficult at all! all the parts are readily available!

however it is a matter of budget,..is money a limiting factor??

we can discuss the frame you plan on using after the engine work.

converting shaft drive 24 Dec 2006 02:21 #101486

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I sold a set of shafty cases to a drag racer a few years back. He said they are the stongest cases Kawi made. He never got around to telling me what all was needed to change it over to chain drive but he has done it a bunch of times. Try dragbike.com and see what they say.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

converting shaft drive 24 Dec 2006 02:52 #101490

• vegasvideo
  • vegasvideo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • "Fat Guys need love too!"
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to see if a bike that I found is worth my time. Let me explain. I want to build a retro superbike style kz with a kz donor bike and the ZRX suspension components and wheels I took off my ZRX1200.

I am upgrading my zrx suspension to a zx10 front end (forks, triples, brakes, wheels etc.) and a 636 swing arm wheel and brake setup. I want to take the front end from my zrx (it has ohlins sprins and gold valves) the swingarm, shocks and wheels and put them on a KZ.

I have 2 ways I can go. I can take a donor bike that would be registered as a Kz, and just add the suspension components. If I do this, I can pick up a KZ1000 here locally for $500. It is a shaft drive bike. I would have to convert the motor to a chain final drive.

The second option is to use the spare ZRX frame I have and install a KZ motor and body work.

If converting the shaft drive motor is too costly, I will just go with option 2. I will just have to figure out a way to get the KZ body parts to fit on the zrx frame.

All I can say is..."PLEASE HELP!"

• Page: