Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

First decent ride on new bike. 22 Apr 2012 01:05 #517224

• KZP20Rider
  • KZP20Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally had the chance to take my bike for a decent spin and see if anything breaks ;) It was over 70 and real nice out, so I poaded up and went for small jaunt. I only managed to get about 117 miles, I left my home city and headed north over secondary roads (note to self - quit leaving sunglasses behind) till I hit Banks Lake. From there I decided I needed to stay within a reasonable distance from home base until I know this bike and how reliable it is, so I headed back south on Hwy 28 past the dry falls area and past the many lakes along that route. Stopped in Soap Lake to stretch the legs and rub the knot out of my forhead...having to tilt my head down so the helmet will block the low sun angle causes very annoying turbulence which transmits to my forhead...again, use sunglasses B) So, I get rolling again, headed down Hwy 28 towards Moses Lake, sun is finally far enough behind me that I can see and my eyes slowly quit burning and watering. When I get to Moses Lake the bike sounds like it starts missing...WTH? It has been running perfect and smooth as butter the whole way, now it suddenly starts missing and having a dead spot in the throttle. :(

So, I thought...Hmmm, wonder if I finally sucked up some scum from the tank, this bike has not been run nearly enough over the years, so I immediately start remembering all the talk on this and other forums about running SeaFoam...too late. I switched to reserve in the hopes it is the tank that is plugged up, not the inline filter. The bike starts to respond within a few seconds and acts perfectly normal. So, I thought...I only have 112 miles on the odometer, the fuel gauge indicates between 1/4 and 1/2...I have been lower when I topped it off...obviously I loosened up some debris in the fuel system. I switch back to normal petcock setting, ride happily through town, and decide I should hammer it on the freeway just to make sure the gunk is blown out. As I get near the freeway, it starts to sputter and hesitate again...switch to reserve...all good. So I go ahead and hammer it on the freeway and head home on reserve, all good...this thing only gets 112 miles till it hit reserve...and that is after I changed the gearing to improve highway running.

On the plus side, bike ran perfect, rider kind of slow apparently. The oil leaks or seeps appear to be self sealing, could be from the bike sitting too long and needing to have oil actually circulate so they don't dry out? So far so good, looking forward to a long warm summer on this one...just have to seriously plan fuel stops of I will be walking.
2001 KZ1000P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First decent ride on new bike. 04 May 2012 01:30 #519739

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52
Don't forget to switch back off of reserve when you fill up. DAMHIKT!
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

First decent ride on new bike. 04 May 2012 11:02 #519792

• KZP20Rider
  • KZP20Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, I have still remembered to do the little things...although that appears to be a failing trait also :)

Next two tanks the bike averaged 42 MPG and then 51 MPG, and then the last tank it only average 35 MPG...must be me or something? I have a new tall windshield on order, maybe the reduced buffetting I am experiencing will improve airflow enough to improve mileage? Time will tell.
2001 KZ1000P

• Page: