Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 20 Apr 2022 12:25 #865837

• SeanBP
  • SeanBP's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm looking at my options on the project bike. It is turning into a nightmare, and reaching the limits of my knowledge and the cash & facilities I have. I guess the issue is that I can't see an end to it, every time I fix one problem, two more worse ones appear. I get that old bikes need a lot of TLC, but I've been working for months trying to get this Zed roadworthy and it's reached the point where my sentimental attachment to a machine I've had for a long time is outweighed by the frustration of being unable to get it roadworthy.

The latest issues are that having replaced the fork seals, when I put the forks back in and tighten the bolts, the upper fork yoke snapped. Also that having replaced the fuel tap and rebuilt the carbs three times before discovering that I needed to replace the inlet rubbers as well, fuel got past both the tap and a (presumably sticking) float and dumped a whole full tank of fuel into the sump.

It's cosmetically average - poor paintwork, reasonable but not perfect chrome, good alloy. The engine runs, but the carbs need balancing and there seems to be an endless litany of fuel leakages, so it may need new carbs. I'm reluctant to let it go, but think it's time to consider the options. Bearing in mind I'm in the UK, what is the kind of ballpark figure I should expect if I sold it as a spares or repair case ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 20 Apr 2022 12:36 #865838

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Where abouts in the uk are you? I'm also in the uk, Kent. I'm not sure a US forum is the best place to ask about UK prices and none of us can respond Sensibly without pictures so that we can assess condition for ourselves.
I currently have 2 mates that are looking for a 650 project at the right price. 
Z650 proboards is a UK based forum. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: SeanBP

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 20 Apr 2022 12:43 #865839

• SeanBP
  • User
Hi Warren - thanks for the fast reply !

Sorry, should have said; I'm in Hampshire.  I keep forgetting about Z650 Proboards.....  I guess the thing to do is take some close up photos and post it on there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 20 Apr 2022 13:02 #865842

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Hi Sean, I've just had a look back at your previous posts and pics. 
It mostly looks cosmetic issue unless it's changed since those pictures. If it's still as those pics I would say as a spares/ repair project somewhere between £1000 to 1,500 would be fair. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 20 Apr 2022 13:16 #865846

• SeanBP
  • User
Hi Warren, thanks for that - it's mostly cosmetic, but there is a definite litany of issues that need sorting !  I suspect someone with a better workshop setup and more time than me could probably get it all sorted fairly easily.  I'll probably give it a bit of thought over the next day or two and then make a decision once I'm less emotional about the blasted thing......

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 20 Apr 2022 14:53 #865850

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
As another uk member I would agree with Warren on the price for our market, the bike has it's problems but looking at your older posts it looks honest and pretty much all there. When I bought my 1000 last year I walked away from a couple that where in boxes and rotted out but still fetched around £1000. One the frame has disintegrated which would suggest the rest wasn't much better and one was complete but been in the garden for 20 years. everything was heavily rusted, the forks where scrap - the corner of the tank had rusted away to the point you could put your hand through the hole ! And these were both 82's so the least desirable of the 1000's

Z650B1 in UK for spares or repair - how much should I ask for it ? 21 Apr 2022 04:02 #865869

• linuxrob
  • User
  • Thank you received: 43
Followed the post so far Sean and agree that up to 1500 is a good price for what is now becoming a very desirable bike. Did the yoke snap at the stem pinch bolt by any chance??? there are a few facebook pages that advertise Japanese classics for sale but most ask silly prices, and you know what facebook is like.

The mates of Warren look your best bet as you should get honest no messing about buyers. Alternative would be you local section of the VJMC, John Barter is the section coordinator and can pass you details to members. His details are on their faceache page facebook.com/VJMCHampshire

Best of luck what ever the decision Sean

Rob B
North East UK
1980 Z500 B2 owned from new 78260 miles
1980 Z500 B2 in bits since 1982 23000 miles
2004 GSF1200S Bandit K4
2000 GS125 ESD

• Page: