Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ethanol fuels 24 May 2019 07:13 #804496

• TexasKZ
  • TexasKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
Although not the main point, this article makes some interesting statements about ethanol and small engines that I think largely apply to carbureted motorcycles, too.

www.imsa.com/news/052019/vp-fuels-not-ju...fuel-company-anymore
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ethanol fuels 04 Jul 2019 09:19 #806941

• jlaudiofan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I watched a few videos of guys removing ethanol from pump gas. It's incredibly easy to do (basically just add water to the gas and shake) and I will be doing this next time I mix up some 2-stroke gas for my chainsaw.

Might not be a bad idea to do the same thing for when the bike is going to sit in the off season... Run it out of pump gas, put some non ethanol gas in it (probably with Stabil) and run it for a few miles to flush out the ethanol, and store it.
1980 KZ650F

Ethanol fuels 04 Jul 2019 13:21 #806958

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895

jlaudiofan wrote.:
watched a few videos of guys removing ethanol from pump gas. It's incredibly easy to do (basically just add water to the gas and shake) and I will be doing this next time I mix up some 2-stroke gas for my chainsaw.

Do you have any Video link, (YouTube)???

Ethanol fuels 04 Jul 2019 13:31 #806961

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

jlaudiofan wrote: ..................Might not be a bad idea to do the same thing for when the bike is going to sit in the off season... Run it out of pump gas, put some non ethanol gas in it (probably with Stabil) and run it for a few miles to flush out the ethanol, and store it.

Or as an alternative just start the bike up once a week and let it idle for 10 minutes or so. That not only prevents and carb gum problems it also keeps oil on the cylinder walls and keeps the battery charged. I've done this with my KZ650 for many years, and it's easy to do. Also, when spring arrives there's never an issue about getting the bike ready to ride. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Ethanol fuels 05 Jul 2019 05:35 #806984

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Is this a sponsored "news" story? The article just says ethanol causes damage leading to costly repairs & it seems to be an advertisement for a custom fuel supplier.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Oldjeep

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Ethanol fuels 05 Jul 2019 06:05 #806987

• TexasKZ
  • TexasKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
I think it is clearly intended to promote a sponsor of the series, but I am not sure that automatically makes all their claims false. This issue has caused some heated discussion on other sites between folks who say that ethanol does no damage, and those who say we might as well pour hydrochloric acid in our tanks.
Personally, I am not sure. The nearest non-ethanol pump to me is 18 miles away, and is it quite expensive. I have been using nothing but e-10 for quite a few years. I have had absolutely no fuel related problems in my vehicles or my lawn equipment. That includes a supercharged Saleen that was only driven occasionally. I have had quite a bit of trouble with carbureted motorcycles any time they sit unridden for more than 4 or 5 weeks.
I think there is no doubt that e-10 produces less power and that it is hygroscopic and that it may accelerate carbon buildup in combustion chambers. Beyond that, I am not sure.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Ethanol fuels 05 Jul 2019 06:09 #806988

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
I use marine version Stabil in the gas for my bike and the garage storage can. Seems to be working well.

I'm not a fan of Ed's method of running his bike periodically through the winter because a lot of condensation is created in the engine and exhaust system. Kawasaki recommends draining the tank and carbs for storage. Suzuki (GS bikes) recommend using fuel stabilizer and filling the tank all the way to the top. There is more than one way to do things (obviously).
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110

Last edit: by Nessism.

Ethanol fuels 05 Jul 2019 06:37 #806993

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Nessism wrote: .................I'm not a fan of Ed's method of running his bike periodically through the winter because a lot of condensation is created in the engine and exhaust system. Kawasaki recommends draining the tank and carbs for storage. Suzuki (GS bikes) recommend using fuel stabilizer and filling the tank all the way to the top. There is more than one way to do things (obviously).

I suspect the key is to let the bike run until the mufflers get pretty warm. At that point the condensation is gone. I've done it this way for 42 years (since the bike was new) and never had any problems; so far - so good. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Ethanol fuels 05 Jul 2019 06:47 #806994

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
If you warm it up to full operating temperature, then that would be pretty much the same as if the motorcycle was ridden. Probably how some guys err is that they just run the engine for a minute or two.

Ethanol fuels 08 Jul 2019 06:16 #807161

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 595
Our 1978 Honda Hobbit 49cc. moped and our 2-stroke weedeater run noticeably better on pure gas vs. 10% ethanol fuel. Both require premix. That's all we can say for sure, other than we've observed plastic & rubber fuel system parts deterioration we can associate with 10% ethanol fuel.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Ethanol fuels 08 Jul 2019 13:39 #807186

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
The OEM mufflers have water condensation drain holes which often get plugged up by rust flakes. And once that happens the internal rotting issue accelerates. Be careful...

Ethanol fuels 08 Jul 2019 15:55 #807198

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
The proof is actually in the oil. If you are in the habit of running your bike during the off season to stir up the oil a good way to know if you are getting things warm enough to get rid of the moisture is to check your sight glass if your oil sight glass is milky you're not getting up to temperature. Keep in mind that in most motorcycle engines the oil also lubricates the transmission and that means that the internal volume of the engine and transmission is really huge and all of that metal and oil need to be heated enough to drive off the moisture.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

• Page: