Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 19:54 #93621

• dutchz
  • dutchz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Alright, most of you got an eyeful of my mishaps on the SoCal ride in september. Thanks again to all the guys there for the help. I got away with some bumps and bruises, the bike was off a little worse but I limped her home.
Short list of the damage: bent fork tubes, bent front wheel, bent lower tree, bent top clamp, bent clipon, barend mirror gone, sheared of rearset mount, broken shift lever, broken shift linkage, torn seat, dented seat cowl, dented tank, scratched stator cover, paint damage.
Two months later, I'm finally back on the road. I've fixed what I could, replaced what I couldn't, learned how to lace a wheel and even made a new fork brace from scratch.
Here's some pictures of the damage.

Hmm something's out of whack...

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2006/11/20 22:55
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 19:55 #93622

• dutchz
  • User
That's bent as well...
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 19:57 #93623

• dutchz
  • User
This was my eh... shift linkage for the ride home... 40 miles through the mountains and a giant cramp in the left butt cheek on every shift
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 19:58 #93626

• dutchz
  • User
Scratched stator cover. It's still scratched :lol:
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 19:59 #93628

• dutchz
  • User
Torn seat and dented seat cowl. I had the seat repaired and hammered and sanded the dents out of the cowl. You can't tell now...
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:06 #93629

• tganek
  • Visitor
Good to see you back in action!

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:06 #93630

• dutchz
  • User
First I set off to fix the bent triple tree and forks. The Z1 triple tree was bent badly, and the polished top clamp I made was warped and cracked beyond repair. I found a KZ650 triple tree at the local salvage yard and decided I wanted to use that instead of a Z1 tree. The Z1 and KZ650 have the same fork spacing, but the offset is different. On the 650, the forks are closer to the headstay, which reduces both wheelbase and trail. I vaguely remebered reading some racers' notes somewhere that did the same thing to improve cornering. Seeing as I can use all the help I get :whistle: and I like the way my wife's 650 handles, I decided to give it a go. Beside, I got it cheap :lol:
1974 Kawasaki Z1

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:08 #93631

• dutchz
  • User
I cleaned up/welded/semi-polished the top clamp like I did before for the Z1. New tach mount was also made.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:11 #93633

• dutchz
  • User
Hey tganek... thanks! It feels good to be back.
1974 Kawasaki Z1

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:17 #93635

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Glad You're ok,Dutch...and welcome back to riding!
What put You down,btw...I don't remember...
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:18 #93636

• dutchz
  • User
My boss helped me straighten the fork tubes in a simple press. You kinda put them on two v-shaped blocks and spin them, then bend them the other way. They're as close to straight as they'll get and definitely good enough for these old forks.
In order to get my front end back together, I needed to fix my wheel, and the rim was bent pretty badly. The spokes were really rusty as well, so really the wheel was pretty much junk. I was already planning on getting some nice shouldered rims, I just didn't plan on it so soon. I ordered a rim and spokes from Buchanan's. I went with a nice 18x2.15 shouldered alloy. So a bit lower and fatter than stock (if you look at my bike it makes sense). I used the trueing stand at work and with some pointers from my boss and my co-worker and certified bike nut Dustin, I managed to get the wheel laced and trued. Here she is:
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

Dutchz back on the road.... I'll try and stay on it this time! 20 Nov 2006 20:21 #93637

• dutchz
  • User
Hey ya Sandy, cheers. Youthful enthousiasm put me down haha.
1974 Kawasaki Z1