Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1976 KZ900 15 Feb 2019 08:25 #798716

• ridecooler
  • ridecooler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Im new to this site and would like to share about my 76 KZ90. I think its a great story, for me anyway. I originally got the bike in the summer of 78 with 650 miles on it, Had an H2 for about 6 months and while it was cool I never really felt comfortable with its tweakiness. Found 900 in the paper on Friday went to the bank and borrowed 1500.00 to add to my saved 1000.00 and set off Saturday morning with my dads work truck and girlfriend. Living in rural central Virginia it was a 2 hour drive to meet the owner. Eyes laid on it I knew it was coming home with me. Brief negotiation and for 2200.00 it was mine. Rode it almost every day even thru winter and a couple of attempts at 2 colleges. Put 11000+ miles on it by 83. Taste changed so I got a Harley and sold it to a buddy only to buy it back 2yrs later. Then marriage and kids came about and I was forced to thin the herd and I again sold it to the same friend , Jay, knowing it was going to a good home once again. Fast forward to 2018 and my Mom dug out some old pics and in them was one of me jumping a bridge while my friend belly down snapped the shot. College. Since November I have been on a mission to find it and hope fully bring it to its true home. Unfortunately Jay had passed away 18yrs ago and trying to find his parents was an every Sunday morning ride to the country knocking on doors in the area. This past Sunday, Feb 10, I located his parents house and left a note then headed back home. They called an hour later and told me the bike went to a cousin and gave me his number. When I called a lady answered and I explained who I was and what I was hoping to find. She let me know that her husband would never part with it but got him for me anyway. We spoke for about15 mins and he agreed that I could come out on Monday and take a look. With 3000.00 in my pocket and no sleep thinking about how he told me it was garage kept I set out to see if I could wrangle it form his place back to mine. Damn he meets me in his drive and I know him from 35 yrs earlier. I told him how Jay had gotten the bike from me twice and I would really like it back telling I was sure that gas receipts and registration of mine were in the tail compartment. Sure enough there they were and at that moment he said its yours. Hell yes. I asked David how much was it gonna take since garage kept in the country means only 3 sides and no door. His reply was 500.00 donation to his church and I said done and asked if he had quit drinking Jack Daniels, along time ago he stated Loaded bike up and I inquired how long since he quit drinking. With a smile he let me know that he hadn't just drinks better whiskey now. It was a pleasure to see him after all this time and Ive got it back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1976 KZ900 15 Feb 2019 08:32 #798720

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Great story! I bought a Z1B new back in 1975 and sold it about 10 years later. In 2014 I got back into bikes and looked for my original bike but couldn't find it. So I bought another one just like it! Now I have two!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

1976 KZ900 15 Feb 2019 11:03 #798721

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
Great Story !!!
Need Pictures of the Bike

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

1976 KZ900 15 Feb 2019 16:30 #798743

• ridecooler
  • User
have tried loading pics but am having some with no success will try again since bike is totally apart. Frame at powercoating engine to a guru and chrome shipping out Monday. 6 weeks it will be new
Attachments:

1976 KZ900 17 Feb 2019 08:18 #798805

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Great story William! I wish I could find my '74. I still have paperwork for it. I should look up the serial no online and see if there are any hits. What kind of exhaust is that? A new 4 into 4 would be nice, but expensive. A Kerker would be nice too. What are you planning for it? Are you repainting? Good luck with the restoration. Looking forward to seeing the transformation.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

1976 KZ900 17 Feb 2019 09:25 #798810

• ridecooler
  • User
Thanks. I already have the bike apart. Frame is at power coating and will start on engine this week. Chrome will go out Wednesday. I hope to have it back together by spring time. Stay tuned for updates and questions about sourcing what can’t be reconditioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

• Page: