1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 12:59 #479428

• ramtough_63
  • ramtough_63's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
Ok short shocks are on ordered a small led taillight with the signals built in its pretty cheasy but looks like I can mount it under my tail fin it's contour looks close from the internet shots and I gotta bleed the front brakes plenty to keep me busy have to put the new right side housing on got the pods with me its nothing but rain for last few days and not letting up now when I pull in my carbs are going back on Daddy always said if you wait on the weatherman you will never ride so a trip down the street is in my blood!!!

Attachment KZGREENGRIPS.jpg not found

loce the green grips 9.00 delivered
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 14:12 #479438

• ramtough_63
  • User

Attachment KZHEADLIGHT.jpg not found

Attachment Headlight13.jpg not found

few pic's of the headlight
The Superman Logo has always appealed to me and my original Idea was for a Superman S Ghosted under the grean and I nicked named my project Kryptonie I wasn't able to do that on my first paint scheme due to my deadline and 1000.00 promise to my girl so I came up with the idea to put an S on the tank with some skulls behind it Still I havent airberushed anything except for some black shadows on Jim's Honda paint that got my carbs built and I wasnt happy they looked like I hadnt painted in 20 years. after I dropped his tank off his buddy Charlie used yo own a Moto-Guzzi dealership commisioned me to paint a tire cover for his van he liked the pic's of mine and the flames I did on Jims so ok will do more for the Bike Kitty after buying some airbrush colors it reduces my over budget to about 30.00
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 14:20 #479439

• ramtough_63
  • User

Attachment GoodtimeCharlie.jpg not found

This is what I come up with not great but I have the colors to do mine now by the way he loved it sold the Van and kept his tire cover takes it with him to Moto-Guzzi Rallies (he is in his 80's) and still rides

I am getting so close Time to get busy on finishing my paint
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 16:20 #479450

• ramtough_63
  • User
Ok it raining and I'm broke today so I am gonna continue the saga I am sure aI will leave alot of stuff out and backtrack as this has been a whirlwind project I'm posting from memory until we get upto where I am now

on rightside I had to swap out throttle cable with one he had laying around the right side controls were from a 750 took way longer than I wanted using a single pull (was Already set up that way and I like it less cables hanging out the front. there are 3 bikes sitting there grab a tank and fire it up 2 weeks ahead of schedule well ok I said I would be riding in 2 weeks and just know hearing it run for the first time correctly I hope.

doesnt detur me I am an optimist it's even quit raining only bout an hour before he closes ( I could hold him up but after all he has done that would be major disrespectful this is his job and my hobby)

ok not a petcock on a tank. WTF? couple pit bikes that run his son says noway you arent taking the tank off I am about to understand the term Going POSTAL!! he has a rearend grease bottle he puts gas in to fill the bowls and fire bikes up I am IN lets do it go grab the battery charger it seems my headlight wiring drained the battery but fill the bowls pull the choke hit the button and I'm not sure but I may have messed myself IT's ALIVE grab the digital thermometer check the pipes they are all comming up to temp. YESSS!

Pull the clutch in put it in gear it will atleast pull I have to have a tank. so jims son grabs some fuel line an aluminum drink bottle drill and in 20 minutes I got a quart gas tank rigged to the handlebar and absolutely no gas. The filler bottle is empty he is closing in 20 minutes and his gas can is at his house something about getting his jetski running

I am not handling this very well so I go to the gas station buy a quart of gas being sure to turn my back to the clerk. hang it back on the handle bar fire it up and off I go!! Trans clutch all runs smooth I cannot believe it. 500.00 bike couple hundred in parts and it runs out

ok I am definately on schedule oh yeah I forgot new wires I still have those miss matched car wires on it. Calling Dyna Monday

still havent bled the front brake but back brake works good not going too far with no bodywork no tailight and an aluminun contraption leaking gas from my handlebar

I bought a 26000.00 harley in 04 and here I am sitting on this 500.00 rusty no tank birds nest wiring nightmare with one brake cheesing like the cat that ate the canary.

ok so its time to go home and paint I cant wait.

Attachment KZTANKSKULLS.jpg not found

Start layin the skuls out with white and white pearl and black

Attachment KZTANKSKULLS2.jpg not found

use somr copper pearl and yellow

Attachment KZLAYINGOUTSKULLS.jpg not found

Mask and paint the S with some dirty graphiti techno nor sure look I'm painting and hoping

I decides I liked the lines so i taped up the emblems stuck them on and painted the graph through them. I was on a role I would have kept painting until i Truly made it look like shit If my girl would have said thats enough

I still love the ghost effect so I had to try it I took some white pearland misted the superman S through the emblem area

Attachment KZS1.jpg not found

leti dry and clear it

Attachment KZGHOSTS.jpg not found

Attachment KZS9.jpg not found

Ok I didn't get much sleep and my yard barn looks like a hurricane went through it but I am pretty pleased with the tank now I only have the tail fin and side covers to do
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 18:07 #479464

• ramtough_63
  • User
do my usual after work stop to check in on her didnt bring the tank I still need to color sand it and jim happens to have a buffer someone gave him and he gives it to me. I got enough time to bleed that front brake and maybe even another trip down the street

The battery is dead again not that big a deal it has sat couple months and me draining it with the birds nest headlight wiring put it on charge bleed the brake without any success probably gonna have to rebuild the master cylinder but no biggy I still got a ton to paint I fire it up after a few minutes on the charger and the 2nd Kick head for home it's an hour driv.

Ok Kryptonite theme and my girls obsession with skulls has me thinkin skulls down the fin with an exploded Superman S and the name kryptonite sounds pretty cool. got plenty of time to plan before I get home using what i learned from the tank I hope to knock it out of the park. only prob with doing this kind of paint work is its all pearls and transparents and to get the same effect they need layered the same and since I mixed my own colors if I have to remix I may be screwed like I said too much time to think

get home kiss the girl pet the dog wolf down a bite and get started i gotta week and I hit my goal
start laying out the tail fin

Attachment KZTAILFINW.jpg not found

Attachment KZTAILFINBW.jpg not found

put a white base down went back in with black

Didnt take many shots throughout the process but another sleepless night and time to Clear it

Attachment KZTAILFIN4.jpg not found

Attachment TAILFIN9.jpg not found

Attachment KZTAILSKULL2.jpg not found

Attachment KZONFLOOR.jpg not found

1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 18:32 #479471

• ramtough_63
  • User
I havent buffed anything in 20 years either so I am extremeley intimidated by the color sanding a buffing process but I can always repaint it right? well now I gotta do the side covers in the mean time on my way home I take my tank put it on the bike and everone is ooh and ahh ing and pointing out the defects they way only your friends can do. i run down get some gas yes I brought a can this time put the gas in it fire it up and off I go still no tail light but i'm just running aroung the neighborhood 12 blocks from the local police station it seemed like every corner had a cop sitting at it and the vance and hines with no baffle draws attention even when you dont want it to so back to the shop I go my priority is mounting that cheasy taillight I got because June 1st is next weds less than a week away I try and bleed the front brake one more time before I leave and head for home the tail fin is plenty dry enough to colorsand or mount a light in and I got side covers to paint.

I just dont like that tail light cant seem to get it to sit right it just isn't the look I want too cheasy too cheap not sure but it just isnt right. I love the LED taillights they are so bright had em on my Harley my brother has been designing taillights for his harley buddies I know I can always mount my old one but I want it cool I might as well mask off the side covers

OK this is where over thinking and over painting has bit me in the behind the side covers look great especially since they were nasty and I mean nasty when I started but no I gotta put an S and the name on them

Attachment KZSIDECOVER5.jpg not found

should have left them just like this

but anyway I mask them and keep going

Attachment KZSIDECOVER4.jpg not found

Attachment KZSIDECOVER2.jpg not found

Attachment Sidecover1.jpg not found

Paint work is done a little rushed but I am starting to feel good about by abilities with my winter set will rock (In my mind)
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 25 Sep 2011 21:19 #479508

• ramtough_63
  • User
with the paint done still needing a mastercylinder rebuild I am in town on saturday gonna rig up my tail light and ride my girl says lets tun by JIms cycle (boneyard) he probably has one. the thing about jim's if you dont have the old one with you they have so much stuff they arent sure what they have. we swing by anyway they have one like the one I already sold on ebay he want 60.00 bucks because it has been rebuilt and quite frankly it looks to big for the superbars without the old one cant inquire about a rebuild because I dont have numbers and really dont know what it came off of. we are walking past the bone yard that just has a cable between the street and the bones. Laying at my feet was an 80's nighthawk 550 taillight assy it looks like it would be exactly what I wanted so back in I go 20.00 and I am on my way to fix me a tailfin taillight when I get to the shop attach a couple brackets it's the look I want my tailfin doesnt have a glove bosx so shooting a couple screws through it wont hurt anything.

I walk in bragging about my find and my buddy Jim says I think the brake fluid is making your paint lift on the tank. I went over and there is a small spot bottom edge of the lip I am not worried about. but it seams that master cyinder has decided to leak worse than the titanic after hittin the iceburg. he has a rag wrapped around it and it is soaked,I clean it up best I can and notice a much bigger bubble in the paint just above the petcock big enough it has to be fixed.

my cheesy chines tail/brake light vs what I had pictured in my mind? why not use both so geab a screwdriver take the led light apart and the oem light apart the circuit boart is slightly wider than my screw posts but its just the mounting area no circuitry rthe easily trimmed. now just remove the light socket cut a few grooves in the posts silicone it in run the wires use the grommet and waalaa now I have an awsome updated tail light with turnsignals

In IN they dont give you a plate at the license branch the give you a form to carry with you if you get pulled over and mail you the plate my plate wasnt in yet so I grabbed an old one to fabricate my mount with and wire it up.

Attachment TAILLIGHT1.jpg not found

Attachment KZTAILlight2.jpg not found

took the pic with everything loose it looks crooked, and even though My new Dekka Battery has been on charge by the time I got it wired didnt have much juice left. I am begiining to think my friend deal on a new AGM battery might not have been such a deal. its not june yet I am painted and running have a few minor things to take care of need a mastercylinder and reapait the bubbled paint No reason I cant be riding by the first weekend in june. Right??
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 26 Sep 2011 20:50 #479801

• ramtough_63
  • User
Took the tank home went to work on it sanded it down sleaned the area taped her up spotted it in and went to work on the mastercylinder you would have thought I would have tested it before I spent the time to polish and paint on it but NO! i'm mr OCC with my budget and my deadlines. so I take it apart and get frustrated I have another paint job to do from all the pictures I am flashing around work

The head of maintenence has a 76 KZ900 he bought new in 76 and with all my banter about getting mine going he has gotten the fever as well. he had it painted to match his dragster trailer and golf cart in the late eighties and the tank is not usable according to him. he asked me if I could find him one and match the paint so I know have the means to just buy a mastercylinder.

Reclear my tank and I am good to go. I learned a lesson i am gonna test it Put gass in it and set it outside in the sun just double checking. order my mastercylinder it's all good or is it???

My inexpearience is showing through. it wasnt bad prep it wasn't brake fluid it was a freakin PINHOLE rusting through!! so I am on Feebay looking for a tank when I read about all the fixes Kreem redcoat silver solder etc... Kim;s cycle has Kreem so lets go for it

for those of you that have used it on a tank that has rusted through probably could have told me this if I had of only joined KZR earlier. by the time the acid etch was done it was a steady stream in several places around my pinhole. But the lady said it would seal an eith inch hole I'm this far I gotta go for it. do my sealing and the fist weekend has come and went over budget by 150.00 at this point.

but seriously this would have been doable if my bike were here with me. instead of 55 miles away and a curfew. oh well...

here are a few pic's of the paint match I did which incedentally paid me 150.00 after materials so my 1000.00 project is at 1000.00 at this point

Attachment DSC01024.JPG not found

Attachment DSC01032.JPG not found

Attachment DSC01028.JPG not found

I only charged him for materials since I am just learning but he wouldn't except that had to pay me for my time (Bike Kitty)
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 26 Sep 2011 21:51 #479815

• ramtough_63
  • User
it's not like I dont have a bike to ride I have the Goldwing but at this point it's an obsession I am on a mission Slow down, Cant too busy. Just get another tank. Nope it's gonna be that one.

You guys reading this already know this part' It's Kreemed it's not leaking and I am off work the new wires are in hand the fixed tank the mastercylinder is it my fault my girl has to work?? Didn't think so either. exacrly one hour and 9 minutes I pull up to the shop and get to work I did stop and fill the tank up on the way. wires crimped and on? Check! tank hooked up? Check! master cylinder on breaks blead? Check! 2 hours before my gal gets off work It's on battery dead Check! 2 kicks and that sweet sound fill the garage, and off I am down the side street couple blocks in town then Hit the expressway and Wow I am loving this it's all been worth it.

mid june june I am riding out the highway cant wait for the weekend for sure. put about 20 miles on her came back checked her over and you guessed it the damn tank is leaking again!! in the same @3**@ing spot! paint bubbled not dripping and it wont start when I push the button. Well maybe I didnt ride it far enough to charge the battery it was pretty low. I have to have a tank but honestly not sire I can reproduce it the way it is and my Girl loves it.

I have already Kreemed it so basically I am screwed what are the chances of getting that cleaned out grinding it down and soldering it withiout completely destroying the paint. I am thinking it will look good on the wall.

unbeknownst to me the next few weekends were cluttered with family stuff kid getting married grandbaby birthdays Don't these people know I got stuff to do? ok maybe thats a little dramatic but I had all kinds of how stupid I am stories to tell. did stop by and look at it though lol

Attachment TrudyKZ2.jpg not found

Attachment TRUDYKZ1.jpg not found

1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
Attachments:

Thrown together to ride til winter 27 Sep 2011 23:39 #480094

• ramtough_63
  • User
Ok, all the weddings out of the way birthdays behind me and some storms Had to resort to a temporary fix on the tank I did it. I fround out the area filled it with JB Weld and let it sit for a week sansed it patched me some primer arounfd it (not gonna paint match it it's low left side by the petcock about 1.5 High and maybe 2" wide. it seems my battery is dead once again. put it on charge do some superficial cleaning nut no leaking gas and everything tightened up it's time to grab my girl and put some miles on her we are pretty happy with the it overall. my buddy Jim asks do I get the first burnout? My exact words were if it's gonna come apart I would just assume it do it right here in front of the shop with you on it. pull it off the charger and well... thank god for the kickstart

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/v/w0eBVzZ-E_M?version=3">www.youtube.com/v/w0eBVzZ-E_M?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360">
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100

Thrown together to ride til winter 27 Sep 2011 23:43 #480097

• ramtough_63
  • User
Ok, all the weddings out of the way birthdays behind me and some storms Had to resort to a temporary fix on the tank I did it. I fround out the area filled it with JB Weld and let it sit for a week sansed it patched me some primer arounfd it (not gonna paint match it it's low left side by the petcock about 1.5 High and maybe 2" wide. it seems my battery is dead once again. put it on charge do some superficial cleaning nut no leaking gas and everything tightened up it's time to grab my girl and put some miles on her we are pretty happy with the it overall. my buddy Jim asks do I get the first burnout? My exact words were if it's gonna come apart I would just assume it do it right here in front of the shop with you on it. pull it off the charger and well... thank god for the kickstart

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/v/w0eBVzZ-E_M&rel=0&hl=e...r_embedded&version=3">www.youtube.com/v/w0eBVzZ-E_M&rel=0&hl=e...r_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360">
1978 KZ1000 A2
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100