Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 08 Apr 2007 14:18 #127769

• madmadJ
  • madmadJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I haven't been on this site in a couple years, but I just thought I would let everyone know that my project is in the process of being resurrected. (As before, I appreciate comments, concerns, advice, etc...)

So here's the story--my memory is a bit fuzzy after having been away for a couple years so I may get years/numbers wrong a bit--I bought a 1973 CB350 homemade hardtail a couple years ago cheap on Ebay.

After trying to ride it/get it running well, I decided that even running well that engine would be a pity. A friend of mine saw a KZ650 engine on Ebay that had reportedly been bored to 720cc (I have no way of confirming this). The initial plan was for him to take the bored engine for his KZ650 and for me to take his original engine--he didn't have the right carbs/wiring/time to get it in his bike, so we traded and I have the apparent 720cc.

H'okay, so I had to hack the frame apart to get the engine to fit (and it barely did) and it was at that point that I went to school for a couple years and was not at home to work on it. Well I'm back, and the project has been placed back on the front burner, so to speak.

Upon inspection, I decided that the crappy homemade hardtail that was previously on the bike was not good enough. It was not straight nor level and didn't have clearance for the rear sprocket--it had to go.

So now I am in the process of designing and creating a new hardtail rear-frame. I am making a swingarm-like part for the lower horizontal component and once that is ready, I will design the upper angled half.

I'd like to post some pictures, but I don't have any good shots that really show the bike as it is right now... Well, I guess I have one of the remaining Honda CB350 portion of the bike, for anyone who's interested.

Post edited by: madmadJ, at: 2007/04/08 17:21
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 08 Apr 2007 14:24 #127772

• madmadJ
  • User
Here is the picture.

Post edited by: madmadJ, at: 2007/04/08 17:25
Attachments:

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 08 Apr 2007 19:52 #127911

• madmadJ
  • User
I noticed a few people on here are from Wisconsin--as am I (near Mt. Horeb, west of Madison).

Does anyone know of a good welding/fabrication shop in this area?

I am almost ready to start welding rear frame pieces together and will probably try to have someone else do the welding.

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 08 Apr 2007 20:31 #127945

• wireman
  • Visitor
wow:blink: i think it would be easier and cheaper for ya to find a basketcase 650 to put your motor into;) ya might try tganek hes in wisconsin and likes a challenge!:P

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 11 Apr 2007 17:46 #128939

• madmadJ
  • User
I could have found a KZ650 frame for the engine I guess...but that's really not what I was going for...

There are a ton of people with stock-style KZ650s (which I like quite a bit), but it would be very time-consuming (and rather expensive, quite frankly) to make mine distinct in a good way.

This way I have a bike that is in no way similar to anything on the road....and the CB350 get-up was actually pretty cheap to begin with.

I still have a long way to go, but I am optimistic and hope to have much more time to dedicate now that I am home again.

The major thing I don't like about this project is the homemade hardtail that was on the frame previously... It really was poorly made and I would much prefer to have started with a stock, suspensioned frame--then it would just have been a matter of getting the engine to fit (which I have already done).

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 11 Apr 2007 18:02 #128954

• wireman
  • Visitor
the problem is the front half of that frame was never intended for the amount of weight and power even a stock 650 will throw at it.you should atleast start with a frame with double downtubes and a good stiff backbone.the frontend and brakes are setting you up for a disaster also.god knows ive stuffed big motors into places they were never intended to be over the years and somehow managed to survive,but that combination scares the hell out of even me!:blink: :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: :blush: :woohoo: its the safety issues that im worried about!be safe;)

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 11 Apr 2007 18:21 #128971

• madmadJ
  • User
Duly noted. I appreciate your concern.

Most feedback I have received regarding this project includes some form of concern about strength/safety and I definitely understand why that is.:blink:

I might be completely wrong in my thought that it can be done, but I'm still confident.

The KZ/CB Has Not Been Forgotten 25 Sep 2007 21:52 #172888

• madmadJ
  • User
I'm back!

It's been about 5 months since I last posted on here and I'm back to post more because progress has been made!

I got rid of the previous homemade hardtail on my frame and made a new one. I cut the metal myself and took it to a professional welder to have it welded up.

So now, I'm back to having a rolling chassis. The engine sits at a much better angle than before and there is plenty of clearance for the headers/mufflers (which in retrospect, probably didn't need to be cut off...).

Please take a look at some pictures at this link: picasaweb.google.com/esromj/MotoPics925

As always, comments and thoughts are much appreciated.
-Jon
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Post edited by: madmadJ, at: 2007/09/26 00:55

Post edited by: madmadJ, at: 2007/09/26 00:57
Attachments:

• Page: