• Page:

TOPIC:

New Member Helping a Friend 18 Jul 2018 04:42 #787151

• ubertalldude
  • ubertalldude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, all

I'm a guy who's helping a friend with his dad's '76 KZ900. My main goal personally is to help him get it running so he can go ahead and restore it at his own pace. It's been sitting for a couple years I think, under a cover, so it's in rough shape but it seems like everything is there. 

I've worked pretty in-depth with motorcycles ever since I bought one ('05 Kawi Vulcan 750) over 2 years ago. I have experience with carbs, but points ignition is going to be a new one for me. 

About the bike, it was his late father's bike, which he evidently rode A LOT because it has 68,000+ miles on the clock. My friend also says his dad had the engine bored to 1000cc (though I wonder if that might have been sleeve kit? Not sure if that will affect tuning). It has the stock ignition from what I can tell and the stock Mikuni 26mm slide carbs. 

So far I've pulled the carbs, found we'll need a rebuild kit and the two tee-fittings for the fuel inlets. So far here is my plan of action, please feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything! 

-Rebuild carbs
-Change oil & filter
-Unstick starter motor
-Check for spark
-Deep Creep the cylinders
-Try to start it

If we can get it started then I know I'll need to do all the basic roadworthiness thing like put tires on it, fix the brakes, install turn signals, etc. but I reckon I'll also need to

-Set initial timing
-Clean & set points
-Clean & lube ignition advance
-Set valve lash
-Tune idle/pilot mix screws/sync

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member Helping a Friend 18 Jul 2018 04:46 #787152

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
Move valve lash up to the top list.  When rebuilding the carbs inspect all the internal parts before buying aftermarket carb kits.  The original Mikuni jets are superior parts and can be reused most of the time.  Z1 Enterprises sells O-rings and float bowl gaskets.  Only other thing you may need is float needles and seats and OEM is best for that.  

New Member Helping a Friend 18 Jul 2018 06:21 #787157

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I second the comments about the carburetors. Before I knew anything, like most folks I was going to buy carb kits, but lucky for me nobody had them listed for my bike. So I removed the float bowls to take a look & everything appeared to be in very good condition. I did the complete disassembly & soaked the carb bodies in Berrymans chem dip (the good stuff. maybe now NLA?). The brass parts looked new.

Then I got a metric nitrile o-ring kit from HarborFreight & gaskets from Z1Enterprises.com.
The dealer at the time had the starter plunger o-rings (the HF kit didn't have that size).

Last edit: by martin_csr.

New Member Helping a Friend 18 Jul 2018 07:24 #787160

• ubertalldude
  • User
OK, I'll plan to check the valve lash before we try and crank it. I know that means measure and then order the proper shims, and I'll also need the valve cover gasket. eBay seems to have cheap reproductions for like $15, OEM seems to be about $60, not sure if I can get away with the cheap. 

I see z1parts has the full carb kit, and we were planning on using the old jets. All parts fully disassembled and soaked in chem dip. I'll try to see if I can get just the o-rings and gaskets, though we appear to have misplaced a washer for one of the jets or maybe the needle seat. Everything in the carbs are in good shape other than the gaskets and o-rings. I'll look more into the o-ring and gasket kits. 

New Member Helping a Friend 18 Jul 2018 09:00 #787167

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
I would definitely get these type of fuel tee's if yours are leaking: www.z1enterprises.com/fuel-pipe-joint-z1...0-1000-aluminum.html
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

New Member Helping a Friend 18 Jul 2018 10:37 #787172

• ubertalldude
  • User

KZJOE900 wrote: I would definitely get these type of fuel tee's if yours are leaking: www.z1enterprises.com/fuel-pipe-joint-z1...0-1000-aluminum.html

I was already planning on getting those, glad to see they come recommended! They're not even leaking, they're just so loose they fall right out. Completely shrunken and useless. 

I'll be posting updates to the carbs and technical details over in my posting in the carburetor section of the forum. 

• Page: