• Page:

TOPIC:

Another new guy. 23 Dec 2006 22:15 #101478

• sbodi4d
  • sbodi4d's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Name is Steve, Live in West Texas.
Concours owners group member. Have a 2005 Concours.

I was just given a 1980 KZ1000-E2 for Christmas from my daughters boyfriend. It has 33K on the odometer. I am not new to working on bikes, but I would call myself a beginner. I have done all the maintenance on my Concours so far, including valve adjustments.
Here are a few pics of the Kz: members.cox.net/sbodi4d/KZ1000.html

Not sure how long the bike has been sitting, but it looks like it's been a while. Would the first order of business be a complete teardown? I have a lift, and a mostly complete tool inventory. Any info would be appreciated. I will post further questions in the appropriate areas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 05:57 #101500

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Steve,
welcome and Merry Christmas. Raining out there in Texas, by the looks of your photos?

When was the last time that KZ ran? Rather than diving headlong into a complete teardown, I would start slowly- get a manual for the bike, start cleaning it bit by bit, maybe pull the carbs if they are crudded up bad.
Fresh oil and filters,clean the fuel tank, brake fluid, etc. Get it running and then go from there. The seat is obviously shot, but I'd just throw some tape on it for now and get any mechanical issues worked out first. You can look for a seat here and on eBay, just have to be patient.
Be Aware- working on these old KZs can become a powerful addiction! You may wind up like a lot of us here, buffing up every last nut and bolt in your shop, well past midnight; running back and forth to your computer to research old KZRider threads.... Don't say you weren't warned!:)

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 06:06 #101502

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Raining?, looks more like it came out of the lake :P Anyway, I agree with previous post. With 33K, engine should be fine. Fresh oil and filter, plugs, possible carb clean & rebuild, air filter, etc. After everything is up and running good you can start on the cosmetics. Any questions are more than welcome, good luck...
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 09:57 #101546

• wireman
  • Visitor
welcome to z-jungle;)

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 10:29 #101552

• CruisingRam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
sbodi4d wrote:

Name is Steve, Live in West Texas.
Concours owners group member. Have a 2005 Concours.

I was just given a 1980 KZ1000-E2 for Christmas from my daughters boyfriend. It has 33K on the odometer. I am not new to working on bikes, but I would call myself a beginner. I have done all the maintenance on my Concours so far, including valve adjustments.
Here are a few pics of the Kz: members.cox.net/sbodi4d/KZ1000.html

Not sure how long the bike has been sitting, but it looks like it's been a while. Would the first order of business be a complete teardown? I have a lift, and a mostly complete tool inventory. Any info would be appreciated. I will post further questions in the appropriate areas.

My KZ1000 "gimme" bike had sat for AT LEAST 10 years without running- I fired that bad boy right up with an oil change, a can a fuel with a hose hooked to it (didnt' want any gas tank crud in the carbs) and jumping a couple burnt wires.

them things is rugged!

Welcome to the board!
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 17:31 #101606

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome Steve. Looks like you got some work ahead of you but I see a diamond under all that rust. You know it reminds me of Wired Georges project bike a 79 1000 shaftie. Maybe you can pick his brain a bit.
His project
The price was right huh?

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/12/24 20:32
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 18:37 #101609

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Trust Nevco on that addiction stuff, I dont get enough threads on here now, its like everyone just fell asleep, and as for my newest bike to my short and recently ended at 2 Kz collection, I can't keep my eyes off of it. I can't stop touching it or playing with it, and all I have to fix on it is a valve cover gasket, but other than that its fine. Mine is almost in the shape as yours but just in case I would pull the sparkers and take a peep in the cylinders to see that its fine and give it a couple of kick overs to excercise it. Now time for me to look for a new thread. I would be outside right now doing some cleaning too if it wasn't for the cold weather, and we Caribbeans don't like the cold to much
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Another new guy. 24 Dec 2006 19:14 #101616

• sbodi4d
  • sbodi4d's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the welcome!

You are exactly right Nevco, it was raining and 37 degrees, but that wasn't going to stop me from picking up a free bike! Price was excellent, pumps, thanks for the link.

Addicting is the correct word kzwolfsr, my wife has already had to drag me back into the house twice to help with wrapping gifts, like that's more important.

Well I have a little more info. The key is not available, oh boy now what. The bike hasn't been started in about a year, the title has been lost, but the PO that sold it to my daughter's boyfriend is still around so maybe file for a lost title?

I have it on the lift right now with the side covers off, lots of spider webs. No front or rear brakes (the lever and pedal go all the way down when applied), clutch lever seems to work. Oh yeah, the steering head is locked up or something, it is hard as hell to turn the handlebars.

Another new guy. 25 Dec 2006 07:23 #101674

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome. Free bike is great!

Lube all the locks with WD40 or another penetrating oil. On the Ignition switch somewhere (side or bottom), you'll find the code number for the key and one could be made up by a Locksmith, or through the web, or a dealer might be able to order one.
Good luck with the KZ. Great bikes.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Another new guy. 25 Dec 2006 08:27 #101681

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi Steve and welcome to the board.

As to your key dilemma, you can pull the ignition switch of your bike, should be secured to the top triple clamp by 2 allen head screws. Look on the lock by where the bar for the fork lock comes out there should be a number stamped there should be something like Zxxxx you have to look close because it is small and usually difficult to see. Once you find the number you can contact Key Men at www.key-men.com they can cut you a new key. I had them do one for me a couple months ago cost me less than 20 bucks. If you are lucky the seat lock etc. matches the ignition as well.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

Another new guy. 26 Dec 2006 11:38 #101797

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Man I got dragged into cleaning from correcting my carb assembly Christmas day, you jokin!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Another new guy. 26 Dec 2006 12:20 #101802

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
sbodi4d wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!

Addicting is the correct word kzwolfsr, my wife has already had to drag me back into the house twice to help with wrapping gifts, like that's more important.

Uh oh, sounds like yet ANOTHER "KZ widow" in the making. :whistle: :laugh:

I agree, you definately scored your bike for a really great price (free has always been my fav price too). And she doesn't appear to need to much to get her back on the road.

Enjoy, and welcome to KZr Steve! B)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Page: