Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 16:11 #731099

• Kowitz
  • Kowitz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone!

Just purchased this 1981 KZ550c a few days ago. It was pretty rough, but I got it running, and pretty well at that. Now Im just trying to clean it up and make it safer, while I diagnose other issues. But all in all, not a bad bike for $600.

My biggest issue right now is this grinding/popping sound coming from the rear drum brake/hub area. I have some pictures and a video to show(bike has no mufflers right now, previous owner chopped them off) I have also noticed that sometimes when riding, the rear wheel(99% sure its the rear anyway) completely seizes up, and I have to rock the bike back and forth until it frees up, and then its fine again for awhile.

Here was my 1st clue that something wasn't right, there is definitely metal on metal contact/grinding.

And the video, again sorry, bike has no mufflers, but you can hear the sound still. The rear brake is disconnected from the brake pedal in the video.

Any ideas/tips/guides on how to fix this? I looked at the brake shoes today when I had the wheel off to paint it, but too be honest, I don't have much experience with drum brakes.

And here is the rest of the bike, just for fun. Gas tank paint coming soon.

Thanks in advance!!

-Brenton
1981 KZ550c

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kowitz.

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 17:40 #731108

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Don't ride it. Something is missing or the bearings are toast. Pics of the brake? Could be a missing spacer. You'll need mufflers or it won't run for SHT.
Steve

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 17:51 #731111

• Kowitz
  • User
You want pictures of the brake shoes? I'll try to pull the wheel again and get you a picture.

And are there any diagrams of the rear brake/hub assembly and how it goes together, so I can see if I am missing anything? Missing a spacer or something would make sense, because the more I look at it, I think the sound is that metal on metal between the wheel and the brake shoe cover.

And yeah, mufflers are coming soon. But the bike actually runs pretty well without them. Would be cool to see how it runs with proper back pressure.
1981 KZ550c

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 18:12 #731118

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The diagrams will be in your manual. I would like to see the hub inside and out, the bearings and how it's mounted on the bike.
The bike is engineered for back pressure. You lose top end and it flattens out early. A tuned exhaust will give you more power all the way through the RPM range. Loud doesn't make ponies.
Steve

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 18:29 #731121

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

swest wrote: ................... Loud doesn't make ponies.
Steve

+1 !!!

Attachment 00003a-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750Kruzer

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 19:59 #731135

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071

Kowitz wrote: You want pictures of the brake shoes? I'll try to pull the wheel again and get you a picture.

And are there any diagrams of the rear brake/hub assembly and how it goes together, so I can see if I am missing anything? Missing a spacer or something would make sense, because the more I look at it, I think the sound is that metal on metal between the wheel and the brake shoe cover.

And yeah, mufflers are coming soon. But the bike actually runs pretty well without them. Would be cool to see how it runs with proper back pressure.

You can see an exploded view on Kawasaki.com, under owner info.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 20:05 #731136

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Even if the shoes look okay, I would install new. oem or vesrah (made in Japan).

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 20:17 #731138

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

TexasKZ wrote:

Kowitz wrote: You want pictures of the brake shoes? I'll try to pull the wheel again and get you a picture.

You can see an exploded view on Kawasaki.com, under owner info.

I would like to see the condition of the parts in question.
Steve

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 20:35 #731142

• Kowitz
  • User

swest wrote: The diagrams will be in your manual. I would like to see the hub inside and out, the bearings and how it's mounted on the bike.
The bike is engineered for back pressure. You lose top end and it flattens out early. A tuned exhaust will give you more power all the way through the RPM range. Loud doesn't make ponies.
Steve

I don't own a manual, I guess that should be on my list. I just got this bike a few days ago. And Yeah, I plan on getting the exhaust asap, the previous owner had just chopped them off, and took the paint off the tank, he was going for a ratty look I think.

I will try to get pictures by tomorrow. Thanks everyone!
1981 KZ550c

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 20:41 #731145

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Loud has manual downloads in his signature. Glad you're going a different direction. I was impressed with the 550 I got last year.
Steve

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 12 Jun 2016 21:16 #731154

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Here is a pic of rear wheel 550 drum brake.

Attachments:

Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound. 13 Jun 2016 08:35 #731195

• Kowitz
  • User
Thanks for the picture. I have a long day at work today, but when I get home, Ill try to pull the rear wheel assembly and get pictures for everyone.

I also noticed this morning on my way out the door, that one of the rear wheel tensioner bolts is missing. i, I will need to get a new bolt and lock nut asap.
1981 KZ550c