Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 16 Feb 2016 05:55 #710871

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

H1Vindicator wrote:

looks weird wrong. stock is better than that. maybe put a fairing back on.
it's your bike though, so ....

I know it probably does. Looks better now that I've made a few more changes. I have a few more to go. If it had the fairing when I bought it I probably would have left it alone. GPz fairings are very hard to come by and expensive or in need of a lot of work when you find one. There's a nice replica being offered on eBay right now I might end up getting just in case I want to do a proper restoration. I've actually been on the look out for original/correct parts for good prices whether I intend to use them or not just in case....

The square light without the fairing looked terrible and was the first thing I replaced after buying it, even before I had it running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Re:Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 16 Feb 2016 06:07 #710874

• GPzMOD750
  • User

scubaanders wrote: I can se where you are going James, but in that case I think you should go for a clubman or a Laverda bar.
That up side down bar doesn't look very comfy.

/A

It actually feels very good. It's just the clearance. I don't want to limit the turn radius any more. I have emgo drag bars on order and they told me they were backordered last week.

I called then back yesterday and they told me they were available but they couldn't order anything until they had $50 cost in items. Emgo has what they call the CB400F replica bar which has half the rise I'd like to try too, that's actually why I called them. So if they need to up the amount I'm going to order clubmans and a few other things in addition and return, as per their 100% satisfaction guarantee, what I don't use. They won't take the order over the phone so I have to stop by after work.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 07 Mar 2016 18:22 #714375

• GPzMOD750
  • User
OK the winner is..... Drag Bars, They were the only ones I could get to fit for various reasons.

Watcha think?

They still need just a little tweaking but they feel great! I sit in a very natural position that doesn't feel too forward/low or too back/high. the factory ones would have me squirming around trying to decide whether to straighten my arms or back whether to lean forward, slouch, etc., etc., ect.....
Attachments:

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 08 Mar 2016 15:09 #714519

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Those look pretty darned good on there, and for the earlier model GPz I think that fits with the tank shape and lack of fairing well. That being said, my personal taste is to retain the stock fairings and to use clip-ons since I really dig that look. The only downside I found (fairly early mind you haven't spend a ton of seat time on the GPz yet, but that changes Thursday!!!) is that with the more aggressive riding position than the more upright bikes like SR650 etc, is that it does put significantly more pressure on my hands and wrists, so to combat this I got some really soft plush gel grips and when a bit more money comes in with be getting some heavier duty gloves with more palm padding too.

- Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 09 Mar 2016 07:09 #714604

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Irish-Kawi wrote: Those look pretty darned good on there, and for the earlier model GPz I think that fits with the tank shape and lack of fairing well. That being said, my personal taste is to retain the stock fairings and to use clip-ons since I really dig that look. The only downside I found (fairly early mind you haven't spend a ton of seat time on the GPz yet, but that changes Thursday!!!) is that with the more aggressive riding position than the more upright bikes like SR650 etc, is that it does put significantly more pressure on my hands and wrists, so to combat this I got some really soft plush gel grips and when a bit more money comes in with be getting some heavier duty gloves with more palm padding too.

- Brett

These are pretty comfortable for me. Just forward enough that my back stays in a comfortable position but doesn't put too much weight on my arms. I went for an hour ride and was fine. My wrists got a little tired but I haven't been out since last October, unusual for around here. I could maybe stand to get some better grips just for good measure.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 09 Mar 2016 07:37 #714610

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2643
I hate thick gloves. Can't feel to grip and have to move my hand down to grab a hand full. Cold weather gear sucks.
Steve

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 09 Mar 2016 11:02 #714630

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

swest wrote: I hate thick gloves. Can't feel to grip and have to move my hand down to grab a hand full. Cold weather gear sucks.
Steve

Yeah there is drawbacks for sure, but with my degenerative conditions this is the lesser of the two evils. For others NOT in my situation, I can easily see the distaste for thicker gloves, we each have to find our happy zen zone though :P

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 10 Mar 2016 15:09 #714764

• Stev-o
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Are the stock GPz handlebars adjustable? If yes, how??
'75 Z1 '74 H1 '74 H2 basket case ..... plus plus plus...

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 10 Mar 2016 16:05 #714777

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Stev-o wrote: Are the stock GPz handlebars adjustable? If yes, how??

No, unless you consider flipping the little alignment clips around to change the angle about 5 deg back adjustable.. At least for the '82 750.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 15 Mar 2016 01:06 #715469

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 64

Irish-Kawi wrote: <<snip>>
... is that with the more aggressive riding position than the more upright bikes like SR650 etc, is that it does put significantly more pressure on my hands and wrists, so to combat this I got some really soft plush gel grips and when a bit more money comes in with be getting some heavier duty gloves with more palm padding too.

- Brett

Well, not all SR's are setup stock. I'm 6'2", long arms and can't stand to have my arms bent. My SR now has drag bars... as did my ST.

I built up my own throttle grip on the 650 and covered it with leather. It was rough on the wrists, till you find what works. I also use a Cramp Buster. Worth every dime...

To each their own...
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

Last edit: by !Seymore.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 15 Mar 2016 19:05 #715600

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2643
I have a cramp buster and a flip on cruise control. That way I can rest each arm.
Steve

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 16 Mar 2016 07:07 #715652

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I love the look of the low bars and the cruise control I bought years ago and I rank it as one of the best things I ever bought.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.