Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 09 Aug 2015 14:58 #685120

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80

GPzMOD750 wrote: OnkelB, I do like that, it actually looks like the rise is about standard but the straighter bars put grips a bit forward from stock.

Never rode a stock GPz so I can't say for sure, but I believe you're right - when I got the bike I remember it felt like I had to stretch for the bars (especially compared to my 650). Back then it was set up German style with the bars tilted forward (don't know what that's all about), I made a few adjustments, got used to it and now it feels really comfortable.

Nice 750 you got there, I think mine looked a lot like that originally.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 09 Aug 2015 20:36 #685180

• theneckasaurus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Tyrell Corp wrote: theneckasaurus, as well as 35mm tubes you need the correct yoke offset or you'll change the steering geometry -can be done, just you want to know what you are changing and the effect it will have.

You could fit risers like on my 81 550,

Doesnt it have 35mm tubes? As referenced here:http://www.nwsca.com/gpz550/specs82.htm

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 09 Aug 2015 21:10 #685185

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
The H series is 35mm. earlier twin shocks are 36mm.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 10 Aug 2015 11:16 #685253

• theneckasaurus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Mine is an '82 with a monoshock.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 22 Aug 2015 13:43 #686743

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I've been giving it some thought and I think I might build some adapters at work with some scrap 6061-T6 I found and some universal bar clamps and use a set of superbike or drag bars.

I'll post some pics and info once I get into it.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 19 Sep 2015 15:35 #690897

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Because you asked in your other thread, and because I'm slow as crap, here are some pics of what my 82 is running
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke
Attachments:

Last edit: by Shabba.

Re:Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 19 Sep 2015 16:57 #690906

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Thanks, I can't really tell how it was done. Did you use some type of adaptor? Did you rig it yourself or did you get it somewhere?

It looks like you brought your bars up and back. My objective is to move mine forward and down.

Re:Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 19 Sep 2015 18:42 #690922

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47

GPzMOD750 wrote: Thanks, I can't really tell how it was done. Did you use some type of adaptor? Did you rig it yourself or did you get it somewhere?

It looks like you brought your bars up and back. My objective is to move mine forward and down.

Sorry. I was in the garage snapping photos and uploading. I didn't have time for a quality explanation.

This is the way the bike was when I bought it. I intend to ask the PO more detail. Though I don't know what this is from, I can tell you that the top of the tree was switched out and the handlebar was added after the bike was dropped. I would have known this by the bent bar in the box of things that came with the bike. My riding position is about as perfect as I could hope for without a set of risers, lower pegs or a shaved seat. While I am not short (5'10), I have had back surgery and sitting as upright as possible makes long rides much easier on my back. With this set up, my wrists have been feeling great and my lower back has yet to complain. I'll probably keep it despite have the entire original set up.
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

Re:Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 20 Sep 2015 03:56 #690959

• GPzMOD750
  • User

Shabba wrote: Sorry. I was in the garage snapping photos and uploading. I didn't have time for a quality explanation.

This is the way the bike was when I bought it. I intend to ask the PO more detail. Though I don't know what this is from, I can tell you that the top of the tree was switched out and the handlebar was added after the bike was dropped. I would have known this by the bent bar in the box of things that came with the bike. My riding position is about as perfect as I could hope for without a set of risers, lower pegs or a shaved seat. While I am not short (5'10), I have had back surgery and sitting as upright as possible makes long rides much easier on my back. With this set up, my wrists have been feeling great and my lower back has yet to complain. I'll probably keep it despite have the entire original set up.

OK, I didn't see an adapter because there isn't one. He prorbably used a KZ750L top tri clamp. If you can find out for sure that would be great.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 14 Feb 2016 17:06 #710733

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Hey!

I found a triple tree for a '84 KZ700A, Which is basically a de-bored KZ750L3. I put them on today and had mixed results. I have super bike bars and tried them on upright. They felt pretty good but still felt kind of high so I flipped them over and they felt awesome! The problem is that with the switch gear and grips on they hit the tank before the triples hit the stops. I have drag bars on back order and I'm not sure how long it will take before they come in, I guess I'll have to wait.

One thing I did do was mount my instrument cluster to the bottom of the triple clamp instead of the top which dropped it down about 1/2". Oddly the mounting point on the GPz clamp was only about half as thick and it wouldn't have been as low if I'd done the same on them.

Here's some pics anyways. You can see how little clearance the bars have on the last pic.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 15 Feb 2016 06:35 #710761

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45

..... I had to ditch the square headlight too. {attachment} gpz pic round headlight tiny turn signals {attachment}

looks weird wrong. stock is better than that. maybe put a fairing back on.
it's your bike though, so ....

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

Let's see GPz handle bar conversions. 15 Feb 2016 10:39 #710786

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
I can se where you are going James, but in that case I think you should go for a clubman or a Laverda bar.
That up side down bar doesn't look very comfy.

/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91