Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 07:17 #627651

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
My KZ750/4 needs new shocks. Have read through tons of posts in the archives about the various options but still not decided. First choice would be some Work's shocks, but not ready to spend $600.:( Progressive have a good reputation, and Hagon seems interesting as well, but reviews for these are more spotty. Hagon complaints typically reference a stiff ride. Does anyone out there have Hagon's, and if so what damping and spring ratings do you have? The Hagon website mentions various damping and spring options, so maybe the folks complaining have been improperly fit in that regards? Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

PS: if anyone has a nice set for sale, please shoot me a PM;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nessism.

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 10:00 #627679

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I have Hagons and I love them! I've had them for more than 10,000 miles and they still work and look like they are new. If a person thinks their shocks are too stiff it is because they did not set the shocks up properly with the correct springs for their weight, bike, etc. Correct springs matter on any shock. I suggest you contact Dave Quinn at davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/webc.cg...GON_TWIN_SHOCKS.html I bought mine from him and he set them up correctly after asking what bike I was putting them on, my weight, riding style, passenger and other loads, etc. He did a GREAT job and I couldn't be happier with the shocks or the outstanding service he provided. Mine are the the type marked #4 in the bottom picture of the link. Here's what they look like on my bike. Ed

Attachment Hagon.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 11:22 #627689

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
progressive shocks are good "for the money".i have a set on my 1980z1r.

i haven't had any but believe the hagon is prolly a better shock for the money.

and,
650ed endorses them so how much more do you want?

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 11:37 #627692

• Nessism
  • Nessism's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
One of the guys complaining is someone I trust from the GS Resources. Said he purchased his shocks from Dave but he wasn't much help after the sale. Some guys think Hagon's are overdamped. That's why I'd love to learn which specific damping level and which springs (and how heavy you are) you guys are using. www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=218943

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 11:53 #627693

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
  • Thank you received: 62
Interesting thread...I have a couple hundred miles on my new Hagons, and I do feel like they are a little too stiff...Am currently running at the lowest spring setting and, while MUCH better than the worn out stockers, they are a little hard on the grumpy ole tuchas! I'll hafta see if my Hagon box is marked with any specifics...they were set up for me specifically by Hagon...mebbe I just need to ride harder! LOL!
1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 11:57 #627694

• 74ullc
  • User
  • Thank you received: 23
So, Ed....first the FIAMM horn and now we learn your shocks are not stock either? :whistle: :P

I just called Z1E about Hagon shocks yesterday. On their website if you go to your specific model and look under 'body' the shocks are in there. It tells what would be your stock spring and how to pick if you need a different spring.

It doesn't tell the stock shock length, how do we know that? Do we take the old ones off the bike and measure bolt eye to bolt eye with them fully extended?

I'm needing some new shocks too, pretty sure my originals are dead, back end is very mushy. She is almost 40yrs old after all. How do you know if the stock shocks are shot?
Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

Last edit: by 74ullc.

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 12:54 #627700

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Nessism wrote: My KZ750/4 needs new shocks. Have read through tons of posts in the archives about the various options but still not decided. First choice would be some Work's shocks, but not ready to spend $600.:( Progressive have a good reputation, and Hagon seems interesting as well, but reviews for these are more spotty. Hagon complaints typically reference a stiff ride. Does anyone out there have Hagon's, and if so what damping and spring ratings do you have? The Hagon website mentions various damping and spring options, so maybe the folks complaining have been improperly fit in that regards? Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

PS: if anyone has a nice set for sale, please shoot me a PM;)

I have progressive brand gas shocks and they have been great. Weren't too expensive, huge improvement in ride.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 12:58 #627701

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

74ullc wrote: How do you know if the stock shocks are shot?

I asked that exact question of the mechanic in the service bay at the Kawi dealer where I bought the bike new. His response was:

"They were dead when you bought the bike."

The service manager glared at him.

The stock shocks are pretty soft and floaty.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 13:34 #627708

• 650ed
  • User

bountyhunter wrote:

74ullc wrote: How do you know if the stock shocks are shot?

I asked that exact question of the mechanic in the service bay at the Kawi dealer where I bought the bike new. His response was:

"They were dead when you bought the bike."

The service manager glared at him.

The stock shocks are pretty soft and floaty.

He was right! The stock shocks on my bike when it was new were barely adequate and were totally wasted by 10,000 miles. They were the only item on the bike that I felt was poorly done. Ed

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 13:35 #627709

• 650ed
  • User

74ullc wrote: So, Ed....first the FIAMM horn and now we learn your shocks are not stock either? :whistle: :P

I just called Z1E about Hagon shocks yesterday. On their website if you go to your specific model and look under 'body' the shocks are in there. It tells what would be your stock spring and how to pick if you need a different spring.

It doesn't tell the stock shock length, how do we know that? Do we take the old ones off the bike and measure bolt eye to bolt eye with them fully extended?

I'm needing some new shocks too, pretty sure my originals are dead, back end is very mushy. She is almost 40yrs old after all. How do you know if the stock shocks are shot?

The stock shocks were nearly shot when new and went downhill fast.

Yes, Fiamm horn, Hagon shocks, taper roller bearings in steering head, halogen light, electronic flasher, some stainless bolts, Pirelli tires.... I like stock bikes, but I guess I'm not a true purist. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

Last edit: by 650ed.

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 13:36 #627711

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
I opted for YSS shocks, they are spendy but worth the money. They transformed the way my 650 handles.

New shock options, Hagon? 03 Apr 2014 13:51 #627713

• 74ullc
  • User
  • Thank you received: 23

bountyhunter wrote: The stock shocks are pretty soft and floaty.

My bike only has 12K on it so I didn't think they could be dead, sure they are old, but low miles. But soft and floaty is exactly how I would describe what I was feeling on my last ride.

So is stiffer safer at higher speeds?
Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

• Page: