Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 15:27 #540516

• ScottyKZ1000A2
  • ScottyKZ1000A2's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
OK OK OK
Instead of getting a custom top tree made for me, I just filled the bottom of the top tree with a strong epoxy. My thinking is that I can make the mounting point for the riser much stronger than if I just drilled through the aluminum, see pic

Once that was all done I mounted the Driven risers and the kermaxx carbon fiber bar.

It looks very cool.
I then took some time to mock up the front end (mounted the wheel, brakes, fender and zip tied the headlight on) just to see how it will all come together. The only problem is that my brake line is waaaay too short. Since these brakes are from a ZX14 they were made for clipons so I am probably 4-5 inches higher. Anyone have any brake line company that they can recommend?

And last but no least here is a pic of the tank wrapped in carbon, I think I will take another run at it with 2000 before I figure out what kind of Kawi stripes to paint on it.

That's all for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 15:46 #540524

• damarble
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Dang.
Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 16:33 #540534

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

ScottyKZ1000A2 wrote: ...brake line is waaaay too short. Since these brakes are from a ZX14 they were made for clipons so I am probably 4-5 inches higher. Anyone have any brake line company that they can recommend?....

Z1 Enterprises has a wide selection.
www.z1enterprises.com/ListItems.aspx?keywords=brake%20hose

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 17:37 #540545

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
lookin pretty danged good sir. :evil:

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 20:33 #540595

• ScottyKZ1000A2
  • User
I went to one of my local shops today to pick up a scrub tire and came across a deal that I couldn't pass up on. He had a FMF carbon fiber slipon hanging on his wall for a GSXR1000. Brand new in box for $300 CDN!!!! yup gotta have it, see pics

as you can see I am just mocking up the bike so it isn't attached permanently. Just hung with some wire.

Anyone have any ideas for some custom headers???
Attachments:

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 20:59 #540602

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
Scotty, I do believe you love carbon fiber even more than me! Nice score on the can, hopefully it's not too much trouble to adapt to a kz header. The tank looks great too! How many coats of resin did you have to brush on and sand down to get to that point? Have you clear coated it yet in those pics?
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 21:04 #540603

• ScottyKZ1000A2
  • User
There is about 10 to 15 coats with a sanding to every 3 coats to get most of the imperfections out. Since this was my first experience with carbon it was a lot of trial and error. In the pics the tail and side covers have clear, but the tank needs a final sand and clear.

Last edit: by ScottyKZ1000A2.

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 03 Aug 2012 22:19 #540610

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
The bike is looking great. nice work.

i have bought my lines from both of these places
www.cyclebrakes.com/html/galfer_brake_lines.html

Pashnit moto
www.pashnit.com/product/galfer/brake_lines.html#top

they will make custom lengths for u.
i got the cabon fiber look with gold ends.
i would like to encourage u to use 3 lines with a splitter on the front.
i used 2 long lines from the master to each cal.
i have to tie wrap my lines to keep them from wandering.
some guys use 1 line from the cal to the left cal then a short line from the left cal. to the right cal.
I have used and , i strongly feel that, the splitter is a tidier setup , that it is easier to keep the lines from dangling and getting into area they should not.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 04 Aug 2012 09:03 #540653

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Like mark said, go to spliter, I thinks it's not only cleaner but a little more traditional.

C:\fakepath\waiting on head 9.jpg

Les

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 11 Aug 2012 10:22 #541915

• Drooz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Lookin' good Scotty! B)

I wish I could help with the header challenge you're facing. :( My "guy" really isn't interested in doing custom work. :huh:

I'd be interested in knowing what you and the guys think of acquiring an appropriate header and then just bending a connecting pipe to join the FMF can. I know lots of R&D work goes into pipe length, diameter, collector shape, etc. I wonder how critical the mid pipe is in all that? :unsure:

As far as the brake lines go, I'm a fan of 2 lines from the master. Yes, you'll need a couple of cable ties to keep it tidy, but I'd rather that than the extra fittings with a splitter. Just my preference! ;)

Keep up the great work! B)
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 15 Nov 2012 01:45 #558420

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
The carbon fiber looks good. Usually the home jobbies look like shit but your looks quote nice. I love the CF handlebars.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

ZX14 front end and rear end conversion carbonfiber 27 Dec 2012 06:38 #564820

• SBK Racer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

ScottyKZ1000A2 wrote: Time to mock up the front end, no turning back now.

Just added the fork before I had to go to work, there isn't any bearings in the head, but it looks very cool. I still need to precisely measure the clearances for the steering stem, hopefully I won't have to swap the stems from the KZ to the ZX14s but only time will tell

Has anyone done this swap before? Any advice would be appreciated.

You are going to need to install the original KZ stem on the ZX14 triple... You can use KZ all Balls bearings... You will need to make a custom upper triple that drops down to grab the top of the forks... See you need to drop the forks down the lower triple to at least the ZX14 position... And if the ZX14 forks are shorter than the KZ forks, there is where you need to drop the forks further down...

As far as the swing arm... This is going to be a real pain... Base you measurements on the Center of the ZX14 rear wheel to the Center of the KZ frame... Then you will need to re build the front end of the ZX14 swing arm to work with the KZ swing arm pivot bolt... This can be a simple as spacers... However you still need to align the ZX14 swing arm...

You need to disassemble the pivot end of the ZX14 swing arm. You should have 1 Left Side inner bearing race/spacer, 1 Left Side bearing, 1 in long Center floating spacer, 1 Right Side bearing and 1 Right Side inner bearing/spacer...

Measure 50 times before you cut... You may need to cut both right, and left side... What ever you cut off on each side, you need to drill in for the Bearing stop... Now, for the 1 Left Side inner bearing race/spacer, 1 in long Center floating spacer, and 1 Right Side inner bearing/spacer... The outside dimensions of your machined spacers will be identical to the ZX14 spacers... The inside should be identical to the inside of the KZ swing arm pivot spacers... Last the End of the Center floating spacer is going to be same as the original ZX14 minus what ever you cut off the sides of the swing arm...

Another piece of advise... Kawasaki is a metric motorcycle... All measurements are metric!!! I suggest not even think of the idea of measuring in inches... Good luck!!!!!!!!! :) Luis
MOTORCYCLES ARE DANGEROUSLY FUN!!!
A good street rider uses judgment, to avoid situations that require superior skill...
A good track rider uses superior skill, to seek situations that define their judgment...

1998 KZ1000P-17 - 2004 PW80 Pit Bike - 2005 SV650R - 2006 SV650 - 2006 GSXR750 - Soon day...