Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Koni shock rebuild pics 29 Mar 2006 17:01 #35294

• neilage66
  • neilage66's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Greetings: I'm going to rebuild/refurb a set of vintage Koni 7610 shocks which are leaking oil. These shocks are designed to be rebuildable. I have new springs and will soon have a seal kit in my hot little hand.
Question: Does anyone here have direct personal experience doing this? If so, could you give me some specific instructions for assembly/disassembly?
There is virtually nothing (that I can find) online for the "how to.....do it yourselfer".
I have gotten a good bit of info from Ikon Suspension in Australia including a detail drawing, but still no specific instructions.
Thanks for any help! :)

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/08/05 17:40

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 05:00 #35675

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Usually the seal kit will come with directions. The seal kit that I have says to use 130cc of shock oil (not hydralic oil or fork oil). They are pretty simple to rebuild and the kit should have directions. U2U me if it does not have instructions.
Fish

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 05:16 #35677

• neilage66
  • User
Thank you to the fish for the response.
I guess I hadn't thought about the kits maybe having "destructions".....doh!
Time will tell, I'm picking them up after work today.

I'll check back later and let y'all know...thanks again.

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 05:59 #35683

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374
Let us know how it works out, and scan the instructions if you can.

I emailed Koni a while back asking for info on who/where I can get mine rebuilt if needed. I was suspecting a leak, which I wiped clean, but remimnds me I need to check them again. Anyway, The rep from Koni gave me a smart ass reply to the effect that I suspected the shocks had a life time warrenty, which they do, and wanted them fixed. I was only looking at info on getting a repair and got nowhere with his help. :angry:

Where did you get the springs and seal kit?

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/03/31 09:01
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 08:38 #35731

• captaincrusty51
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I spent a bit of time looking for rebuild info for my Konis and came up with nothing. Where did you get the kits, and how much were they?
1978 KZ650C
Keihin CR Special carbs, MAC 4 into 1, Koni Shocks, Emgo Pods

2002 ZRX1200R
Akrapovic exhaust, Teds Ignition Advance, Steering Damper, Dunlop Qualifier tires, Corbin GF/L,Rear tire hugger, Tsukigi braces

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 16:27 #35799

• neilage66
  • User
Hey people: KONI is only involved in automotive racing applications now and will barely admit they ever made motorcycle shocks according to people I've talked to. Their headquarters is in Hebron, KY and just for good measure, here is a link to them.
www.koniracing.com/shopservices.html

KONI motorcycle shocks division was bought by IKON Suspension in Australia a few years ago and they still make all the old, classic designs. Geoff is the man there...he has answered all my emails and has tried to answer all my questions, but still no specific instructions! They offer direct ordering for US customers. IKON has some good info on their site if you poke around a bit. Here is their link.
www.ikonsuspension.com/

MG Cycle, in Albany, WI carries the KONI/IKON seal/rebuild kits for the 7610 series shocks (dial a rides) and sells them for $19.95. These kits do not come with any instructions! These guys specialize in parts for Moto Guzzi. Here is their link.
www.mgcycle.com/

FYI: IKON sells springs for most applications. I found some NOS/OEM Koni's on eBay for cheap that will work...they are not progressive wound springs but oh well. all 7610's had progressive wound springs originally I think, but I'm not worried about historical accuracy with my GPz!

Hope this answers your questions...wish I could get answers to mine (specific instructions/exploded view).

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/03/31 19:30

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/03/31 19:31

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 17:20 #35814

• captaincrusty51
  • User
Thanks for the info. The Guzzi site has some cool stuff on it. Especially the wav. of the V8.
1978 KZ650C
Keihin CR Special carbs, MAC 4 into 1, Koni Shocks, Emgo Pods

2002 ZRX1200R
Akrapovic exhaust, Teds Ignition Advance, Steering Damper, Dunlop Qualifier tires, Corbin GF/L,Rear tire hugger, Tsukigi braces

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 18:07 #35823

• gas
  • User
Weren't you the one asking about this last year on the old site? One of the Europeans, a Swede or Norwegion did a great big write up about it, with pics. Check the archives.

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 18:27 #35827

• neilage66
  • User
I'll try that. I did not search the "old site" only this one.
Koni were originally made in Holland I believe, so the European connection seems a likely one.
No...it wasn't me that asked this question last year, but I really hope someone did, so I can glean the info.
I'm off to the archives...thanks!

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/04/01 10:33

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 19:52 #35858

• neilage66
  • User
Found in the archive:
...a spring compressor design using two plates (wood or metal) and threaded rod
...idea to use ratchet tie downs to compress springs
...reference to HVI shock oil and Amsoil
www.bestsynoil.com/suspension_fluid/shoc...suspension_fluid.htm
...slideshow from Shovel Fred on rebuild for Marzocchis shocks NOT for Koni's...doh!
smg.photobucket.com/albums/v230/tonyque/shock%20pics/?
So goes the search for Koni info. :blink:

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 31 Mar 2006 21:12 #35876

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 374

MG Cycle, in Albany, WI carries the KONI/IKON seal/rebuild kits for the 7610 series shocks (dial a rides) and sells them for $19.95.

I have to have a close look at mine, but how do you find out which model you have? Are the dial a rides the ones with the dampening adjustment wheel on the top end, adjustable from 1 -4?

Here's a pic of my right side in two types of light. Do they look like 7610 series? I added the red reflective tape.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/04/01 00:13
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

REBUILDABLE KONI SHOCKS? 01 Apr 2006 07:30 #35927

• neilage66
  • User
Yes, 7610's (dial a rides) have the 4 position finger wheel at the top.

The shocks in your photos look to be 7610's. Your stampings are probably under the reflective tape!

The exact model number is usually stamped on the main body of the shock in the bottom area above the eye. Some stampings are on the main body, under the spring, near the bottom, just above the preload adjuster.

For example: The set I'm rebuilding are stamped "Koni - Made in Holland - 7610P-1343 - Special D - 208" on the main chrome body near the bottom.

If you poke around on the IKON site, you can see charts that list all the particulars for each model number.

Post edited by: neilage66, at: 2006/04/01 10:31

• Page: