• Page:

TOPIC:

MOTOGADGET M-UNIT Conversion // Wiring ? 26 Apr 2015 19:31 #669701

• Kodymadro
  • Kodymadro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey All,

Had this 79' Kz400 for years and its gone through all sorts of transformations. I usually can figure stuff out on my own but i am stumped on a minor issue.

Problem: Green wire coming from engine.

Explaination - recently fitted my bike with the Motogadget M-UNIT. The system is great. I used three different schematics to get everything figured out. On factory detailed(colored) Kz400 specific chart, it shows the system with Rectifier and regulator as separate objects, On that diagram it shows the green wire going from the engine to the regulator.....

My bike is equipped with the all in one Rectifier/regulator. Coming out of the engine i have 2 yellow wires, one black , one green. A simple fix would be to pop the cover off and follow it down except, my screws are stripped out and id rather not turn one project into another project.

I simply just need to know what the wire is for... if its a positive, ground or otherwise.

Attachment unnamed.jpg not found

Attachment 10484408_10152727998872624_2665984115418549705_n.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MOTOGADGET M-UNIT Conversion // Wiring ? 27 Apr 2015 06:06 #669729

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Assuming your bike is a 1979 KZ400-B2 (rather than an H1) take a look at the wiring diagram in the link below. It shows 2 yellow wires going from the generator to the regulator, a red/white coming off the regulator and going to the battery, and a black wire coming off the regulator and going to a lighting circuit. Is it possible that the green wire you have there is coming from the neutral switch? I think that switch is relatively close to the generator under the sprocket cover. Ed

kz400.com/Techh%20tips%20bilder/Wiring%2...9%20400,B2,%20G1.jpg
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kodymadro

MOTOGADGET M-UNIT Conversion // Wiring ? 27 Apr 2015 09:47 #669754

• Kodymadro
  • Kodymadro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
AH! now that you mention it you're totally right. That makes a lot more sense to me. it was definitely a light green color as oppose to full green. i just assumed the color had been weathered and faded.

Is the neutral switch mandatory in operation or was that strictly for the indicator light on the tree?

Thanks a bunch.

MOTOGADGET M-UNIT Conversion // Wiring ? 27 Apr 2015 12:34 #669773

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
The neutral switch only operates the little light on the tree. It is handy to have, but not absolutely necessary. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

MOTOGADGET M-UNIT Conversion // Wiring ? 27 Apr 2015 12:37 #669774

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
...Just a convenience device... it is the ground connection for the neutral light... it's grounded when in neutral.

(For anyone else looking at this: On the earlier motors, the dark green wire would have been the positive wire for the field coil of the alternator.)

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: