Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 15:29 #470357

• Schorly
  • Schorly's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My CSR KZ1000 M2 1982 has a fuel warning light checker. The previous owner has swapped the clocks over to Honda GL clocks and they don't have a spare light fitting in the Custer to use as a fuel warning light. But it has a temp gauge which I thought I could use. The CSR tank has only the fuel switch rather than the sensor. I have no cut out for the sensor in the tank, but it looks like it is moulded in the way to take the sensor. Now, i think about a few options on how to best use what I have. In order to do so, does anybody know how the Fuel warning light self checker works? There are three wires. I think one is 12v+ and the other -. what is the third wire for? Can I test the checker to see if it is still ok and usable? Also, maybe it is easy to cut a hole in the tank to take the sensor, so I can make use of the gauge in one of the clocks. Has anybody done this before? I am not sure how to get threads fitted once the hole is cut to hold the sensor foot plate? Any suggestions to get me think would be welcome.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 15:36 #470361

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Pictures? Some of the Kawasaki's had a floating sensor(actually a float on the end of an arm) with 2 wires that when raised/lowered changed resistances indicated on the instrument panel.

As for a 3 wire hook up, I'm puzzled about that one.

How's Loudhvx's IC Igniter replacement working?
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 15:38 #470362

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
There is a wiring diagram in File Base for your bike, www.kzrider.com/filebase/cat_view/102-19...-kawasaki-kz-1000-m2
i shows the three wires for the Level sensor. Black/ yellow is ground. brown is + ignition switched voltage and the Green/ White is a ground that happens when the switch is closed, Low Fuel. That wire is the one that would be the ground for the warning light, with one side of the bulb hot from the Brown wire, and the Green/ White providing the ground when Fuel is Low.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 15:54 #470366

• Schorly
  • User

MFolks wrote: How's Loudhvx's IC Igniter replacement working?

Good of you to remember!!! The ignition is working without any problems. In the meantime I had the cylinder changed as i had some bad scoring in all bores but very bad in #3 and #4. I used about 1L of oil for every 150miles and after the last winter it would not run very well. So I decided to take everything off so I have no excuse not to investigate and sort the oil problem. But now the bike is absolutely flying and I am happy with everything, well most of it. The starter clutch and center bolt for the rotor keeps coming loose and I am trying to fix it and now I also would like to figure out what options I have with the Honda clocks and a possible fuel indicator come warning.

The switch is part No 27010
C:\fakepath\tank.pdf

not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can not attache a picture?
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Last edit: by Schorly.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 16:00 #470369

• Schorly
  • User

Motor Head wrote: There is a wiring diagram in File Base for your bike, www.kzrider.com/filebase/cat_view/102-19...-kawasaki-kz-1000-m2
i shows the three wires for the Level sensor. Black/ yellow is ground. brown is + ignition switched voltage and the Green/ White is a ground that happens when the switch is closed, Low Fuel. That wire is the one that would be the ground for the warning light, with one side of the bulb hot from the Brown wire, and the Green/ White providing the ground when Fuel is Low.

So I understand the switch in the tank is grounding the warning light. What is the self checker doing?
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 16:23 #470370

• Motor Head
  • User
Well i have a different bike, with the gauge. So explain what you mean by "Self Checker".
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 16:41 #470374

• Schorly
  • User

Motor Head wrote: Well i have a different bike, with the gauge. So explain what you mean by "Self Checker".

On the diagram you pointed out to me are the 4 left handle bar switches shown. This is on the bottom of the diagram in the left hand half on the right. Just above there is the self checker on a three pin connector.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 16:55 #470378

• Motor Head
  • User
Oh I see, I actually was looking at that thinking this was the sender. Now I see there is a two wire sender switch, that is a simple ground when Fuel Low. So I have looked through the Manual trying to find info on the self checker, three wire unit. I don't see it, but I would say what it does is a bulb and circuit self check. Does the warning light come on when first started for a bit then go out? this is how most would operate in Cars.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 17:19 #470391

• Schorly
  • User
Yes, my manual does not mention the self checker unit either. It just talks about the sender unit and I think this one does work without a self checker. Before i start trying out several things I just want to make sure all the units are working as they should. I assumed the switch in the tank is just an on off switch so I should read 0 ohm or open circuit, but I read about 2kohm and I have petrol in the tank. So maybe this will switch to 0 ohm when towards empty and the switch is active. But I don't know what to expect on the self checker unit, hence I would like to understand how it works.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 17:27 #470396

• Motor Head
  • User
I'm thinking it would be a timer circuit. But could be wrong, as I don't have one on any bike I have had. They either had a gauge and sender or nothing. Just a low fuel light, I would think the "Self Checker" would Illuminate the bulb on start up briefly, then just leave that part of the circuit open, and let the switch take over.
It has the three wires, power, ground and one output which is also power. so you could hook it up, the power and ground. then test the output to see if my "Timer" theory is correct.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 17:54 #470410

• Schorly
  • User
It would make sense as the switch in the tank could provide earth when switched or the the self checker unit. Does this mean there is a relay in the checker unit with a large capacitor to provide a time delay? I will try a bit more tomorrow as it is now late where I live. Thanks for your thoughts so far. The best would be if I could change the switch in the tank for a sender unit, but i fear it is a bit awkward to get around the complex shape of the petrol tank for float to move up and down freely.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 20 Aug 2011 18:01 #470413

• Motor Head
  • User
Would the OEM Kawasaki sender from a same year but different model fit? Can you post a picture of the mounting for the Switch? The sender on my 82 has six small shouldered screws holding it in. Then inside the tank there is a baffle, around the float arm area.
There are also a lot of Universal float made, to upgrade some tanks that never had floats.