Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

. 29 Sep 2011 08:37 #480407

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 29 Sep 2011 10:07 #480417

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
I still think the self checker would work as a bulb circuit tester, when power is first applied via the key switch, it would illuminate the bulb for a few seconds to show it is functioning. So it should have a timer circuit to it. With its three wires, power ground and an output, I would try to test that theory. As you've ordered another, one of them should get a brief output when first having power applied.

Green/White= output Brown= Ignition Switched power Black/ yellow= Ground or Earth

This is the strange part, output from self checker on the Green/ White goes to the Thermistor, and Black/ Yellow Which is ground. Now look at the Bulb circuit down here;

The Power is of course the Brown, and the Ground is the Green/ White from the Thermistor.

So the thermistor as we know opens and closes the ground to the light, on the Green/ White. Self checker supplies this ground for Bulb test on Key On.
thinking that increased draw from the Light bulb, such as with added resistor could get more current through the Thermistor/s to "Heat it".

Didn't your low level light function, when fuel was low, when you started this project? Or was it in-op?
Every time I ride mine with the float arm, and get this constant bouncing of the needle on the gauge I think of this thread. :P
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Last edit: by Motor Head.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 29 Sep 2011 11:30 #480427

• Schorly
  • Schorly's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Here are my clocks:

I am sure these are Honda clocks. So I don't have the fuel level light. When I got the bike the sensor in the tank was disconnected hence the fuel level check switch not in use. Now I thought it would be good to use the tem gauge in the rev counter as a fuel gauge. So i tried various things including hooking up a light bulb and trying to get the original low level light indicator working. So my thinking is if the light with the sensor in the tank can indicate one fuel level (reserve) why can not show several sensors indicate various levels in the tank via the gauge? This is where I am.
I terms of the diagrams you sent, I think the sensor reduces the resistance when hot (low fuel) hence 'closes' the path to earth. The check switch must do the same at start up, but as i say I am not sure.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M
Attachments:

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 29 Sep 2011 11:38 #480428

• Motor Head
  • User
The self Checker has to do this at start up, otherwise I can't see any need for the device.
As you were trying to get the Thermistors you ordered to "Heat Up", you said you put a resistor in parallel to the Thermistors. Have you tried either a higher wattage Bulb, or a resistor in this side of the circuit to pull more current through the ground/ Thermistors?
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 29 Sep 2011 11:51 #480430

• Schorly
  • User
I have connected five thermistors in series. Those 5 gave a resistance which was too high for a current to flow which heats up the thermistors. So I tried to reduce the resistance of the circuit and connected a resistor in parallel. All this did was that now the current went across the single resistor, because its resistance is lower that the five in series and got hot.
The more resistors are in series in the circuit the higher the resistance, the less current flows which does not heat the resistors sufficient for them to change resistance.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 29 Sep 2011 13:09 #480432

• Motor Head
  • User
Have you read any of these in your Internet searching?
www.ti.com/lit/an/slua398/slua398.pdf
www.intersil.com/data/an/an1174.pdf
www.intersil.com/products/deviceinfo.asp?pn=ISL6295
Here is another Forum with a discussion, at the end it talks about thermistors and micro-controllers.
www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=171250

Maybe some of this helps? having an interface IC chip?
I can't see where this particular kit has a Thermistor that can be submerged in Fuel. But an Email to them could answer such specifics.

Then here at Babbits they have have the level sensors, with output for a Analog meter, but so far I see 120AC of 24DC units. I see no lengths maybe to order? An Email here maybe?
www.babbittlevel.com/lt9000.html

Here is another read, and it seems to have a schematic for a pretty simple circuit that you could try for cheap. Go to LINEARIZATION SOLUTIONS in the article, then circuit 5a. Maybe a Zener Diode would help stabilize the in coming Voltage.
ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00685b.pdf

Attachments:

Last edit: by Motor Head.

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 30 Oct 2011 09:43 #486041

• Motor Head
  • User
Nothing New? Did you figure it out? Or do something different altogether?
Bump :P

Fuel warning light switch or sensor? 03 Nov 2011 12:23 #486834

• Schorly
  • User
No, nothing new. I am bit busy with work at the moment and did not find the time. i will have another go at it as I amstill unclear why it could not work. As long as I don't have all doors closed I will try.
1982 KZ1000 CSR M