Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 04 May 2008 15:10 #211118

• humourcar
  • humourcar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 1976 KZ-750 twin. It seems to start easier using the kick start that it does with the electric start.
The engine usually turns over to the point of killing the battery using the electric start but starts on the 1st or second kick using the kick starter.

Could this be the ignition coil or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 04 May 2008 16:13 #211131

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
This is a pretty common problem with these old bikes. Between old wiring and corroded connections, worn starters drawing more power from the system and weak coils because of their age, enough spark isn't being created to start the ol' girl.
It's time consuming but worth it to go thru the wiring haress checking for any corroded terminals, disassemble the starter do a general cleaning and lube, check condition of the brushes and bushings.
And, an easy and inexpensive mod it doing Wiredgeorges coil relay conversion which is found here.
Along with a lot of interesting things on the carb guru's website.;) ;)
And, even with all this done I still usually use the kick starter for the first start on cool mornings here in Maine.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by The Milkman.

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 04 May 2008 16:44 #211138

• humourcar
  • User
HI Milkman,
That's an awesome read!

It was like wiredgeorge was working on my bike the way is was described.

I will give it a shot.
I was getting close to giving up on this old girl...but with the support I keep getting from people like you, it's hard to turn my back.

humourcar
aka Joe
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 04 May 2008 19:00 #211160

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Wait... these things have an elecri... wel,, I'll be darned, *that's* what that button is for...!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...seriously, I have disabled both my 750 twin's starter clutches, due to their propensity to fall apart... so I always kick anyway... it's a great way to start the day, if you ask me... ;):P :cheer:
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 05 May 2008 02:56 #211250

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Have you considered that you might be just that much of a baddass that you can out-kick the starter? Just a test, see if you can pick the bike up over your head.;)
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 06 May 2008 15:32 #211616

• humourcar
  • User
Does anyone know if Wiredgeorge's coil relay conversion will work on a single coil bike? Or is it only for double coil bikes?

humourcar

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 06 May 2008 15:43 #211620

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
Undoubtedly, it will work.:blush:
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

Last edit: by Qdude.

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 06 May 2008 16:38 #211627

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
There's nothing special about the coil mod, it's common to use a switch controlled relay in that type of circuit, it will work for any common electrical load.
KD9JUR

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 06 May 2008 17:53 #211647

• 76 LTD
  • User
I use the kicker just to save wear an tear on the starter which aint cheap if ya hafta buy one.also less strain on battery.

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 07 May 2008 10:28 #211797

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
76 LTD wrote:

I use the kicker just to save wear an tear on the starter which aint cheap if ya hafta buy one.also less strain on battery.

I do it because it's cool :D

Course I really started out on Brit bikes that didn't have electric start anyway :)
KD9JUR

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 07 May 2008 16:10 #211894

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
  • Thank you received: 0
How do you kickstart a bike?
I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 09 May 2008 07:09 #212280

• humourcar
  • User
Well, I couldn't wait any longer. I was confident I followed wiredgeorge's instructions to a tee and I had to know if this is going to work.

I opened a beer, took a large swig, called my insurance company to insure that I had fire insurance on the bike and then I put the key in the ignition.

All I can say is, WOW!
What a difference!

A little bit of adjustment to the idle but now my old 76 Kawi twin purrs like a kitten. Hopefully she'll see another 30 years on the road.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. And especially wiredgeorge! If I ever make it to Texas I owe you a beer.

Joe
Ontario, Canada
Attachments:

• Page: