Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 09 May 2008 08:39 #212305

• genesis
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
PFC FNG wrote:

How do you kickstart a bike?

put the bike in neutral. flip out the kick starter, do not pull in the clutch and start kicking. Your bike will take a few kicks when it's cold (shouldn't be more than 3-4 on a bad day)as long as there's gas in the tank and the battery is charged.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 04 Jul 2008 13:38 #224028

• 28years
  • User
  • Live to ride
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello:

My 1979 kz750 b1 bike has to be kick started too. Lately, I bought a service manual on E-Bay and found it quite informative.

I have power to the seloind, which then transmits power to the starter. The starter turns and drives the chain, but it doesn't turn the motor over--just like what is reported here by others.

The idea of removing the starter clutch is something that I would like to pursue. There is one thing though, you need a special tool, a "dynamo rotor puller" and "spanner wrenches."

It seems that some guys are successful in getting their starter clutch working by replacing springs on their model motorcycles.

Since there are so many models of motor cycles, I hope that someone here can focus their description on their work on this model of bike--KZ 750 B1.

Doug Johnson
KZ 650 B2 1978/KZ 1979 B4

Kick start works better than electric start on my '76 KZ750 05 Jul 2008 00:05 #224174

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Special tool to remove the rotor? Try using the rear axle, it works just fine :)

Sounds like your starter clutch is bad, it's a common problem.

Take out the bolt that holds the rotor on, screw in the axle as tight as you can, smack the end of the axle with a big ol hammer, and the rotor should pop right off. The rotor is a taper fit, as soon as you break the taper it's loose.

By the way, a 79 KZ750 is a B4, not a B1, the B1 is a 76.
KD9JUR

Last edit: by steell.
  • Page: