Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

new dyna coils cracked 11 Aug 2007 17:54 #163265

• 13thlevel
  • 13thlevel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My new dyna coils self destructed after about 10 mile. The coil housing on both new dyna coils cracked in half. Can someone tell me what happened? I'm clueless:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new dyna coils cracked 11 Aug 2007 18:02 #163267

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Pics?
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

new dyna coils cracked 12 Aug 2007 04:40 #163338

• 13thlevel
  • User
If you know what a green dyna coil looks like then imagine a crack in the center of the case extending all the way around the case, then you know what it looks like. I am very upset about this and I hope Z1enterprises stands behind what they sell and sends me a new pair.
My original problem was one coil had gone bad so I bought a new set, now both are cracked. On top of that, I had to pay $100.00 to have my bike towed back home. I put my new coils on, test drove it and everything seemed fine so I went for a ride across town, got half way across town then the bike stalls mid-way. You can imagine how pissed I am right now.

new dyna coils cracked 12 Aug 2007 04:57 #163340

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Were they clamped securely to the frame? It sounds like a mechanical failure caused by loose mounting.
KD9JUR

new dyna coils cracked 12 Aug 2007 06:20 #163345

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Sounds like excessive voltage or too low impedance. I imagine the coils are 3 OHM primaries like the DYNA1. If they are what voltage to do you see at three or four thousand RPM?

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

new dyna coils cracked 12 Aug 2007 08:29 #163366

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
Dynatek would need to inspect the coils and replace them if they are defective.

dynaonline.com/english/warranty_info.htm

All warranty claims must be sent directly to Dynatek by the original purchaser for test and evaluation. Call 626-963-1669 prior to shipping the unit for an R.M.A. # (Return Merchandise Authorization Number).

Dynatek
Attn: Warranty Department
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
164 S. Valencia Street
Glendora, CA 91741
FAX 626-963-7399

In all the coils we have sold, I'm only aware of ONE single coil failing like this in the thousands of sets we've sold - so for both to fail does suggest something wrong with the electrical system on the bike.

The failure is probably caused by a suspect charging system - if the regulator is bad or the battery is bad you can be pushing too much or too little voltage to the coils.

Another possibility is the ignition left on with the bike not running (although usually only one will get cooked).

If you have any problems with Dynatek, let me know and I'll get involved.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

new dyna coils cracked 14 Aug 2007 20:23 #163977

• 13thlevel
  • User
:whistle:
Update coming soon!

Post edited by: 13thlevel, at: 2007/08/14 23:24

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 06:05 #166838

• 13thlevel
  • User
Well I received my new "black" dyna coils from Dynatek today. They informed me I was sold the wrong coils (green) for my bike. My bike still has the points ignition. Anyway after installing the proper coils for my bike it won't even attempt to start now. I'm wondering if the green coils damaged something else when they fried. When cranking over the bike it backfired. I'm extremely pissed that I was sold the wrong coil and now that I have the new coils the bike won't even try to start. My original problem was the coils only. I know this because when the original coils went out, I installed the green ones (the wrong ones), and the bike fired right up as usual, then after riding for 10-15 minutes everything went haywire and the coils (both) cracked almost in half. Now I go to install the proper ones and the bike just cranks over while backfiring. You can see why I'm so upset. What would you all do in this situation? I need some guidance here:angry:

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 06:10 #166839

• 13thlevel
  • User
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

Dynatek would need to inspect the coils and replace them if they are defective.

dynaonline.com/english/warranty_info.htm

All warranty claims must be sent directly to Dynatek by the original purchaser for test and evaluation. Call 626-963-1669 prior to shipping the unit for an R.M.A. # (Return Merchandise Authorization Number).

Dynatek
Attn: Warranty Department
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
164 S. Valencia Street
Glendora, CA 91741
FAX 626-963-7399

In all the coils we have sold, I'm only aware of ONE single coil failing like this in the thousands of sets we've sold - so for both to fail does suggest something wrong with the electrical system on the bike.

The failure is probably caused by a suspect charging system - if the regulator is bad or the battery is bad you can be pushing too much or too little voltage to the coils.

Another possibility is the ignition left on with the bike not running (although usually only one will get cooked).

If you have any problems with Dynatek, let me know and I'll get involved.

Hey man, your company sold me the wrong coils. Dynatek said I should have been sold the 5 ohm coils instead of the 3 ohm. After the green ones fried now my bike wont start at all, even with the new ones.....................wtf

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 07:58 #166853

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
13thlevel...You say the bike backfired when You installed the new coils...are You SURE that they're not wired up backwards?

Another thing...have You ever had Your timing advance mechanism apart?Apart to the point where You removed the springs and the lobed section of it?
I ask this for a reason,because if You re-installed the outter lobed section backwards(180 degrees out)then Your ignition timing is GOING to be 180 degrees out.That lobed section is there for a reason.
Just wondering,as it's happened before.As a matter of fact,one of My parts-bikes had IT'S advance mechanism 180 degrees out,and the Guy I got the bike from said that They could not get it to run...way back when They were trying to.(that was why)

And when You ordered the coils from Jeff,was He aware that You were still running a "points ignition" on the bike?

Jeff wouldn't sell You something that would not work on Your bike Bud...guaranteed.Especially ignition-related!
I know the frusteration and I can imagine how pissed You are,but just remember...these are old bikes We're tinkering with and modifying(and upgrading,etc.).

Jeff will not leave You out in the cold.

In the meantime,some other tests should be done to Your bike...charging issues,like mentioned,for one...wiring(old cracked wires shorting out somewhere?)

Might be time to pull out the multi-meter,Bud,and get some(other) issues sorted.
B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 08:51 #166861

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
In MOST cases I would stay out of this, BUT..
I found that I have ordered the wrong item for my bike in the past. Did you order off the internet?? As I have in the past, and I bought the wrong item. OR did you call and talk to, ASK what you needed for your bike?? Talking to a person and telling them what you have done in modifications or NOT done to your bike makes all the difference in the world in if you get the right part or not.

Z1 Enterprises sells to THOUSANDS of people. Some are 100% stock, some are total race bikes. When we the rider start replacing parts with NON STOCK parts WE take chances on things just like this happening.

Slamming a guy or his business in a open forum is not the best way to get things done either ;)
Call Jeff or even PM or e-mail the man.
Don't start off mad ( even thou it may be hard not too, we have all been there ) EXPLAIN just what happened and how it happened. And discuss the problem in civil tones.
Just my words of wisdom. Something I have learned from my experiences both good and bad.
We are all on here because of our love of these old bikes and WE help each other. Sandy is a pro at trouble shooting electrical problems ( he's had enough of his own ;) )
Good luck, Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/08/28 12:02
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 18:00 #166980

• 13thlevel
  • User
Sandy wrote:

13thlevel...You say the bike backfired when You installed the new coils...are You SURE that they're not wired up backwards?

Another thing...have You ever had Your timing advance mechanism apart?Apart to the point where You removed the springs and the lobed section of it?
I ask this for a reason,because if You re-installed the outter lobed section backwards(180 degrees out)then Your ignition timing is GOING to be 180 degrees out.That lobed section is there for a reason.
Just wondering,as it's happened before.As a matter of fact,one of My parts-bikes had IT'S advance mechanism 180 degrees out,and the Guy I got the bike from said that They could not get it to run...way back when They were trying to.(that was why)

And when You ordered the coils from Jeff,was He aware that You were still running a "points ignition" on the bike?

Jeff wouldn't sell You something that would not work on Your bike Bud...guaranteed.Especially ignition-related!
I know the frusteration and I can imagine how pissed You are,but just remember...these are old bikes We're tinkering with and modifying(and upgrading,etc.).

Jeff will not leave You out in the cold.

In the meantime,some other tests should be done to Your bike...charging issues,like mentioned,for one...wiring(old cracked wires shorting out somewhere?)

Might be time to pull out the multi-meter,Bud,and get some(other) issues sorted.
B)

By KZCSI:

Hi Joe,

You went a bit over the line with this post. I've had several complaints about the picture of a firing gun. If you had bothered to read the rules you would have read that complaints of this nature are best handled by PMs.

I think that you should reread Sandy's post as it contains some good suggestions.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/08/29 19:52
Attachments: