Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 18:04 #166981

• 13thlevel
  • 13thlevel's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
patmann wrote:

In MOST cases I would stay out of this, BUT..
I found that I have ordered the wrong item for my bike in the past. Did you order off the internet?? As I have in the past, and I bought the wrong item. OR did you call and talk to, ASK what you needed for your bike?? Talking to a person and telling them what you have done in modifications or NOT done to your bike makes all the difference in the world in if you get the right part or not.

Z1 Enterprises sells to THOUSANDS of people. Some are 100% stock, some are total race bikes. When we the rider start replacing parts with NON STOCK parts WE take chances on things just like this happening.

Slamming a guy or his business in a open forum is not the best way to get things done either ;)
Call Jeff or even PM or e-mail the man.
Don't start off mad ( even thou it may be hard not too, we have all been there ) EXPLAIN just what happened and how it happened. And discuss the problem in civil tones.
Just my words of wisdom. Something I have learned from my experiences both good and bad.
We are all on here because of our love of these old bikes and WE help each other. Sandy is a pro at trouble shooting electrical problems ( he's had enough of his own ;) )
Good luck, Pat<br><br>Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/08/28 12:02

I didn't mention any names so how am I slammin anyone,he replied to my post so he got himself into this.
To "sandy" where in the world did you get the idea I had replaced points and lobes and whatnot, I never mentioned doing any of that, I simply installed coils, coil wires and plugs, that's it! Sorry if I'm being an ass but I'm pissed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 19:32 #167010

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I hear you being pissed, but, what caused to orig coils to fail?, is it possible that something else is going on.
have you checked the points and condensers, along with the wiring and charging system, and yes I know you need to get it running in order to fully check the system.
Look at you book and check everything is right
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

new dyna coils cracked 28 Aug 2007 20:17 #167019

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
13thlevel wrote:

To "sandy" where in the world did you get the idea I had replaced points and lobes and whatnot, I never mentioned doing any of that, I simply installed coils, coil wires and plugs, that's it! Sorry if I'm being an ass but I'm pissed[/quote]

I was only trying to help,and thought that mentioning the things I DID mention,that it might maybe ring a bell or something.How do I know that maybe You didn't wire the coils up backwards by mistake??...IT HAPPENS!The backfiring would be clue number ONE!
They were strictly suggestions,and I was only trying to help.

And next time,deal directly with Jeff(like mentioned),because coming in here and running off at the mouth about Him ain't gonna go over too well.

Yes,the frustration IS understandable...without a doubt.
We're here to TRY to help,but it looks like You'd rather piss on the crowd...have fun with that too!

Hi Sandy,

I cleaned up some of this post, you know which parts.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/08/29 19:57
1977 KZ1000 A-1

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 06:28 #167086

• 13thlevel
  • User
BSKZ650 wrote:

I hear you being pissed, but, what caused to orig coils to fail?, is it possible that something else is going on.
have you checked the points and condensers, along with the wiring and charging system, and yes I know you need to get it running in order to fully check the system.
Look at you book and check everything is right

It was only one original coil that failed. The other is still good. After installing the two green dyna coils (that BOTH cracked), now bike bike is REALLY F'ed. I can't expect the company that sold me the green coils to replace any components that were damaged due to them selling me the wrong part because when I first had a problem, they wouldn't even stand behind the parts they sold me, their response was to "contact the manufacturer". WHATY B.S.! When my HVAC company sells a defective part or even worse, sells the customer the wrong part, we stand behind it and replace it. They took my money and left me high and dry. I guess I learned an important lesson there.

also, you all need to read and understand, MY BIKE ONLY HAD ONE COIL FAIL (due to age), NOW AFTER INSTALLING THE WRONG COILS, SOMETHING ELSE IS FRIED. I know for a fact they are wired properly. I work on HVAC systems that are much more complicated than two leads to each coil (yes I labled which side was which). I mean c'mon, this isn't rocket science. The problem is, I was 5 years old when this bike was built, I'm not very familiar with it's electrical system, and I don't want to be, I just want my bike running, that's it.
It's obvious though I'm not going to get any help here, just blame and good ole' boy bullshit!
This bike is for sale now in Louisville, KY if anyone is interested.........$2000.00

By KZCSI:

Sorry Joe, most of these assertions are unsupported. You've got another problem with your bike, as yet undiscovered. We're here to help you discover the problem, if you'll accept our help. I'm going to unlock this thread. If the discussion stays civil all is good. If it gets outta line I'll flush it forever. OH by the way, as the author of this thread you have the option of deleting it, should you so choose.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/08/29 20:04

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/08/29 22:38
Attachments:

new dyna coils crackedm 29 Aug 2007 07:06 #167096

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I think it's time to have this one locked by a mod.
His posting of shooting a gun and "tone" of his replies are not what I have come to expect from a fellow member.
It seems more of a strongly implied threat towards fellow members, that are only trying to help him.

So as far as I'm concerned.. GOOD BYE 13thlevel
Have fun ;)
And good luck selling your bike. Maybe a Harley is more fitting for you :whistle:
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/08/29 10:50
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 07:38 #167101

• 13thlevel
  • User
patmann wrote:

I think it's time to have this one locked by a mod. His posting of shooting a gun and "tone" of his replies are not what I have come to expect for a fellow member. It seems more of a implied threat towards fellow members that are only trying to help him with words of wisdom
:unsure:
So as far as I'm concerned.. GOOD BYE 13thlevel
Have fun ;)
Pat<br><br>Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/08/29 10:31

See what I mean. I'm the bad guy.........................MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMKKKK

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 08:52 #167111

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I didn't think You were the bad Guy(at first) but Your replies to this whole matter were totally uncalled for.You should have handled it in a more civilized way.
And I'm sorry You feel that way about My posts...NOT!
The way I see it,is ANY reply could be the reply that gets the situation figured out.I asked You about Your mechanical timing advance,thinking that it's possible that You got in there to investigate.I realize that has nothing to do with Your situation at hand(frying coils),but it would certainly explain backfiring,and THAT'S where I was headed with that.
But obviously,You're beyond that.(narrowing down).

When You don't post up what You HAVE(or haven't) done,We can only assume and guess.That's how a lot of problems are solved...square one...try doing this,or look into this,etc.

"STFU" ...what does THAT stand for?...

"Self-Tuned,F'd Up"??:huh:

Have fun;)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 09:00 #167116

• pawkz1k
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
13thlevel,

OK, I am going to ignore the BS content of your previous posts and respond 'cause I just bought Dyna 3.0 ohm coils (to go with a Dyna Ign.) from Z1 so I am curious...

Get out your DVM.
Set to an appropriate DC scale.
Ground lead to the Neg. side of the battery.
Pos. Lead to the hot-side of the coils.
What’s the voltage?
If (nominally) 12 volts, good.
If not, find out why (fuse, bad connection, burned switches(ign. and emerg.) bad battery, etc.)

Pos. Lead to the points-side of either coil.
What's the voltage?
If (nominally) 12VDC, that means the points for that coil are OPEN.
If near 0VDC, then the points are CLOSED.

Rotate the engine through one full revolution.
Retest the point-side voltage every so often.
Does the voltage ever change?

If the points-side voltage never changes, then there is definitely something going on with the points. If there was an over-current situation, then the points maybe badly burned which could cause an engine start failure. The problems could also be the condenser. An open condenser causes the points to burn pretty quickly. With a shorted condenser, you get constant current thought the coil and no spark.

Do the same test for the other coil.

Oh yea, before I forget, pull the plugs while you do this, makes rotating the engine lots easier. If you rotate the engine via the points/advancer mechanism, use the 17mm hex nut. Don't use the 14mm nut!

(Note: I am making NO assumptions regarding your experience working on your bike. I want to be clear/complete in regards to the Troubleshooting step given above. So don't "cap my @ss" with your virtual pistol.)

BTW: I installed a Dyna III ignition on my bike almost 20 years ago and have never looked back...

Any way, check it out and post back...

PAW-KZ1k

PS In defense of Z1 Enterprises, I have seen many Z1s and KZs running Dyna Green coils with points without problems. So I am suprised that Dyna is saying the Black coils are required. I need to double check, but I thought the factory coils are 3.0 ohm units. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Post edited by: pawkz1k, at: 2007/08/29 12:26

Post edited by: pawkz1k, at: 2007/08/29 12:27
1978 KZ1000, 1075cc, SS valves, RS34, Dyna S, welded crank, back-cut trans, Kerker System K exhaust (jethot coated)

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 10:45 #167139

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
I'm locking this thread till I can understand all of what has transpired. Until we mods can get on the same page I'm ASKING NICELY that every one respect the LOCK and DO NOT OPEN new threads on this issue.

Thank You
KZCSI

OK, Here goes, I'm opening this thread. I'm here online and I'll delete the whole damn thing if it gets out of hand.

Mr. 13thLevel,

You've got a chance to learn something here, as we all do. Regarding your claim that the 3 ohm Dynas caused the problem, most of us doubt it! Please, in a civil manner, teach us something.

Let's see what unfolds.

KZCSI

Post edited by: KZCSI, at: 2007/08/29 20:19
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 17:24 #167202

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hi Mr. 13th Level,

Did you ever answer my question about the running voltage of your system?

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 19:14 #167241

• 13thlevel
  • User
KZCSI wrote:

Hi Mr. 13th Level,

Did you ever answer my question about the running voltage of your system?

KZCSI

Please explain to me why Dynatek, the company that makes the coil, would tell me I was sold the wrong coil if most of you don't think it's the wrong coil. Can you see my frustration? The bike ran fine for about three or four months after I bought it. Then one day, a coil (1 COIL) goes bad. I contact a dealer and receive a pair of GREEN dyna coils as the replacement. I install these two green Dyna coils, coil wires and plugs. The bike fires right up and runs great for about 10 miles or so. Then all of a sudden while riding I loose 2 cylinders. I check the coils and discover one is cracked in half. I then proceed to try to get the bike home by running on two cylinders. After a mile or so, the bike completely shuts down and won't start. I check the coils again and discover that both are cracked in half. I then have to pay over $120.00 to have my bike towed home. I contact the dealer that sold me the coils and they say it's my bike that damaged the coils, but I should contact the manufacturer to have them replaced. After contacting the manufacturer I'm informed I was sold the wrong coils after all. Now after asking for help here I am treated as though my bike is the culprit once again..........can you see my frustration now?
I can't do any checks on the bike for a day or so, I'll have to get back to you on that.
:unsure:
Attachments:

new dyna coils cracked 29 Aug 2007 19:32 #167251

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
most of the time when coils break as you say they have had way too much voltage thru them.
There are a lot of people on the site that have been there, done that, got the tee shirt to prove it several times over
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob