Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 24 Jun 2007 14:01 #152356

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I bought a new battery at Wally World, put in the acid and went to install it. It is about 1/2" too long! I checked it by holding up my old battery to the new one and it was the right size.. but I didn't take it out of the box. The numbers are 18-LA3 and my old one was 18-LA. It's an Everstart which costs $37 bucks.

Any suggestions on how to make it fit? I have to put on my side bracket because it holds on the side cover.

thanks
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 24 Jun 2007 14:17 #152358

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Don't know what bike you have, it would help if you put it in your signature. do that in "my profile" on the top of every page on the site.
All I know is my 650 battery takes all the room there is for in the box. If you can't get it to fit, I would chalk it up as an expensive error. Or, you could try taking it back and see if they will replace it, I know it's Wally world, but they do try to keep their customers happy.
Not saying "I" would do it, but new batteries have been known to be "defective", B) B) B) :laugh:
Ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 24 Jun 2007 14:32 #152362

• floridamba
  • User
I've updated my profile. I called WW and they said bring it back to Customer Service...

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 24 Jun 2007 15:57 #152381

• floridamba
  • User
WW took it back, since I had the receipt and bought it today. I had to tell them to keep it level.... since the battery was charged.

I bought their high-end battery, $63 bucks but it fits.

thx
David

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 24 Jun 2007 19:01 #152415

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 24 Jun 2007 19:53 #152431

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Man that is a lot for a motorcycle battery. I buy all mine from a local shop. I buy about 20 a year or the various bike I buy and sell. I just bought one for the KZ and one for the Triumph. Triumph was $17 and the KZ was $25. I just bought a battery today for my Accord and it was only $45 at Auto Zone.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 25 Jun 2007 03:30 #152494

• floridamba
  • User
I agree it's ridiculous, but with Wal-Mart it's probably a good price. It's their high-end batter though it's not a gel battery. The chain Advance Auto Parts had their base battery for $55 and the mail-order places were higher or had high shipping costs.

The WW lower cost unit was $37 but they don't stock it in my size. Oh well, the KZ is on the road.

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 25 Jun 2007 10:06 #152567

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Rumor has it more expensive batteies might be better quality, something about thicker plates, better construction, etc. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 25 Jun 2007 13:14 #152610

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Just curious... I buy Wally batteries for all my bikes since they are the only place to buy bike batteries within 50 miles or so... At my Wally they sell Everstart and they are $25-35 depending on size. Black box, if memory serves. What is the "upgrade" battery you are talking about? The brand? Is it an Everstart as well? What were the cranking amps on the cheapo and more expensive one? BTW: I ALWAYS measure the battery I need just to be sure it will fit. You can also buy a battery sometimes, that will work but has the terminals in a different place, etc. if they are out of the one you need... cables can be modified pretty easy if the pos and neg are at the wrong ends and you just have to have a battery.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 25 Jun 2007 14:16 #152620

• floridamba
  • User
WG, this was an Everstart but the higher-end one. They had one in the $40 price range and the better one with fiberglass mesh between plates, etc. etc.

It was black with a thin line where the level could be checked. The acid came in a six-pack container with a six-pack funnel to juice it up.

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 25 Jun 2007 19:21 #152686

• themachine
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
i spent 97$ on my battery, i think its 330 cranking amps or something, best interstate battery that'll fit in her.
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Bought a new battery and it does not fit!! 25 Jun 2007 19:25 #152688

• themachine
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
i spent 97$ on my battery, i think its 330 cranking amps or something, best interstate battery that'll fit in her.
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• Page: