Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 30 May 2007 13:17 #144949

• darmahsd
  • darmahsd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, now that I'm on board, my first question is about getting my old 100GPZ back up to snuff. It needs a battery and since I first got the bike, I honestly don't have a clue to what that pink sensor wire that goes to the 3rd (or 4th) cell of the battery does. Low electrolyte? Low voltage? No matter what shape the battery was in, I never saw a warning light. A search on the forum found no answers. If you look at the cost of batteries, the stock battery with the sensor wire for this bike is $50 bucks more because of this cheap wire. The big difference is the reverse +/- orientation to the motorcycle frame. I've tried a regular battery and changed the cables so it would fit, let the bike side of the sensor wire dangle and there seemed to be no change to the way the electrical system worked.
Now I want to try one of those dry Odyssey batteries. So with that investment I want to make sure that pink wire is not needed. Does anyone know?
Thanks,
Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 30 May 2007 13:34 #144955

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301
The story I have is that the pink wire is merely a sensor and warns of low electrolyte. That said, if you hook up a battery w/out a sensor, the warning display on the dash should flash. To stop it from flashing, ground the pink wire:) If it doesn't flash now with a sensorless battery, your problems are solved.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 03 Jul 2007 21:15 #154597

• darmahsd
  • User
OK, I just installed my Odyssey PC545 battery to replace the stock battery with the sensor wire. The battery warning does keep blinking so I grounded the pink wire as suggested. It still blinks. As I said in my first post, it didn't blink another time I tried this with a standard battery with no sensor. I just had to make new cables to fit the switched +/- orientation. 'Left the pink connection open.
Any ideas to stop the light from blinking?
Thanks,
Stephen

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 07:09 #154631

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Remove the bulb from the warning indicator device. If you knwo the battery is full, and check it often, then remove the bulb, and you're all set.

If you like the warning light to function, then trace that wire from the sensor, to the bulb itself. You might have a bad connection somewhere in between.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 07:41 #154635

• darmahsd
  • User
The old remove "check engine" bulb from the dash. That was my last resort. Nice 550. 'Used one at Keith Code's California Superbike School, with the rear brake pedal bent inward to discourage you from using it.

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 08:19 #154645

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
That picture is from the original brochure, and as much as I'd like to take credit for it being me, I can't. Maybe someday...

The removal of the bulb or putting some black tape over it should be left as the last solution.

Keep us posted on your findings.

You sure the battery fluid if full?

Here's a few I've come across that will get you excited:

Not me in the picture either. :whistle:

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2007/07/04 11:23
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 09:24 #154673

• OnkelB
  • User
If your 83/84 is anything like my 82 the warning light is actually two warning lights: the red alert light flashing and an LCD indicator showing which part is malfunctioning (battery sensor, kick stand switch, fuel level etc.) - if you remove/block out the alert light because you don´t have the battery sensor you will also lose the alert for low fuel, kick stand down and so on, which you may not want.

Rather than removing the bulb, connect the pink wire to switched 12V power and the warning light should stop blinking - I tapped into the fuse box connector, but any switched 12V source should work.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scubaanders, howardhb

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 18:47 #154767

• gpzrox
  • User
I hook mine to the positive side of the battery. Works fine.

I believe it is looking for the + voltage and such, negative is ---well--- so negative, and doesn't get any more or less negative, if you catch my drift.

I am such a cornball, but it is true. Connect to the positive, you'll smile.
84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 21:53 #154801

• darmahsd
  • User
OK, so it will take the full 12 volts. Thanks guys, 'didn't understand if it was supposed to pick up current from the one cell or 2 volts if everything was OK.

Yeah Corey, that brings back memories. Looks like the same era too, in the early eighties. Used the old bikini fared GPZ he's sitting on. Was at the old Louden, NH track before it went NASCAR and the AMA quit the Laconia Classic. Thanks for the photos.

The beauty of the Odyssey dry cell is just that. It doesn't loose electrolyte and recirculates the gas. You can leave your bike in the cold of winter without a trickle charge or Battery Tender and it will keep it's charge. Lasts much longer too from what they claim and what I've heard. 'Remains to be seen if it's worth $80 bucks.

Stephen

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 04 Jul 2007 21:56 #154802

• darmahsd
  • User
OK, so it will take the full 12 volts. Thanks guys, 'didn't understand if it was supposed to pick up current from the one cell or 2 volts if everything was OK.

Yeah Corey, that brings back memories. Looks like the same era too, in the early eighties. Used the old bikini fared GPZ he's sitting on. Was at the old Louden, NH track before it went NASCAR and the AMA quit the Laconia Classic. Thanks for the photos.

The beauty of the Odyssey dry cell is just that. It doesn't loose electrolyte and recirculates the gas. You can leave your bike in the cold of winter without a trickle charge or Battery Tender and it will keep it's charge. Lasts much longer too from what they claim and what I've heard. 'Remains to be seen if it's worth $80 bucks.

Stephen

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 14 Jul 2007 12:43 #156805

• reputrid
  • User
OnkelB wrote:

If your 83/84 is anything like my 82 the warning light is actually two warning lights: the red alert light flashing and an LCD indicator showing which part is malfunctioning (battery sensor, kick stand switch, fuel level etc.) - if you remove/block out the alert light because you don´t have the battery sensor you will also lose the alert for low fuel, kick stand down and so on, which you may not want.

Rather than removing the bulb, connect the pink wire to switched 12V power and the warning light should stop blinking - I tapped into the fuse box connector, but any switched 12V source should work.

Thank god, thats exactly what info I was looking for. The blinking warning light was about to drive me insane!

Thanks a million, I love the internet.

'83-84 GPZ1100 Battery 28 Jul 2023 08:39 #887684

• Bobby82GPZ1100
  • User
I have a real nice 82 gpz1100 with same blinking battery light thanks for all the info I'll try the suggestions.

Attachments:

• Page: