Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 Kz1000 "Z1 Classic" fuel pump filter problem 16 Aug 2011 23:16 #469474

• zelsdad
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i am going out on a limb here BUT
IF YOU RIDE A 1980 Z I CLASSIC WITH THE ORIGIONAL " WORLDS FIRST FUEL INJECTED PRODUCTION BIKE "
and if it hickups or acts as if its starving check out the fine photo shoot of the fuel pump in line filter removel , and do it!!!!!
i have had my first day of crotch rocket riding in 30 years , my bike's hickups are gone i spent over 400 dollars at a performance kaw shop and they said it wasnt a fuel problem , it must be the strange electrinics on this one year wonder.
all i can say is thank you for this site and its members detroits "kawasaki jerry"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 Kz1000 "Z1 Classic" fuel pump filter problem 16 Aug 2011 23:26 #469477

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Inside your bikes air box is a movable air vane/blade that controls the throttle responce, someone here a few months ago had similar problems with the "G" model like your's:

1980 KZ 1000 G1 (Z1 Classic)
I took this from the www.kzrider website.

below is a description with autos and part numbers for this throttle switch. ONLY COST $80.

This little switch has *profound* affects on the usability of the bike. Only 1 side of the 2-pole switch was intermittently bad, and it basically made the bike UNUSABLE.

I found the switch today at O'Reilly Auto Parts store here in Silicon Valley -- they used the matching autos to look it up in the O'Reilly computer in the store (using 'Kawasaki' or the Kaw part number was *not* useful, it had to be a car with the year/model or a part number for the switch).

The local O'Reilly store today looked it up for the 1979 Datsun 280zx and they HAD ONE IN STOCK. Put it on the bike, I'm gone on a 45-minute ride around the Valley!
NARY A HICKUP. Bike is fiiiiiine.

So for anyone else with this one-year-only Kz1000 "Z1 Classic", here are a few ways to find this switch:

1) 1979 Datsun 280zx "Throttle Valve Switch"

2) 1980 Datsun 200sx, find it at
Remartautoparts.com, with Remart part # TH114

3) "BECK ARNLEY 158-0492 Fuel Injector Throttle Switch" (NOTE: the 158-0492 is a 'master' part number apparently that most Auto parts stores can use to find all the vendors of this switch)

4) 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo "Throttle Position Sensor",
the part is mfg. by 'Nile'

If I were you, I'd buy one to have on hand if your bike acts up like this rider's did.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: zelsdad

1980 Kz1000 "Z1 Classic" fuel pump filter problem 10 Aug 2012 12:17 #541734

• zelsdad
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
my final steps were pull the injectors and have them rebuilt , pulled sneaky filter out of fuel pump , bench tested the pressure (69 lb) all of these should have helped ,and prob . did ,but i got to thinking if the pump is pushing all that gas out ,and the filter passes gas freely , what next ? i think my low pressure side fuel lines ,while working well at idle were collapsing under high draw requirements , replaced the lines between filter and pump with the heavest hose ,all is well now , once again the bike is faster than i want to go !