Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

zr7 motor in KZ750 09 May 2016 19:46 #725444

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
The GPz unitrac motor's are not KZ's they are a ZX motor but are the same family
of motor and looking on Partzilla it look's like the shaft is the same so the
6 speed should work in a ZX motor.
As for holding the roller in oil pressure will push it out of the shaft
the mushroom puller holder hold's it in it float's in and out as the clutch pressure plate move's.

When I had my case's split I left it out by mistake and with the clutch lever pulled in and the motor
running it would fill the clutch with oil to the point in about30 second's it would start pulling like
you were letting the clutch out
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

zr7 motor in KZ750 09 May 2016 21:19 #725458

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
So a GPz550 6 speed tranny as a whole unit could be swapped into the 83-85 Uni-Track 750's is what I'm hearing right? If so way kewl and in time will want to do this swap myself, cruising at 80-85mph I'm hitting 5500-6000rpms depending on grade and passing etc for extended periods and I don't like constantly running an air cooled engine at those speeds sustained. Would make it tough to travel anymore than 4hrs tops on it trying to make a destination. Curious how the different gearing in 1-6 would affect acceleration at the slow speeds since this is such a rocket off the line as is. :evil:

Sorry to jack your thread Dave, wasn't my intention but I appreciate you sharing some thoughts and experience on it all the same too! ;)

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

zr7 motor in KZ750 09 May 2016 22:14 #725463

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
That is exactly why I am going through so much trouble to do the swap while I have the engine apart. I can't relax when cruising at 6000rpm's on the highway.
But to get the desired drivability, It not only takes factoring in the gear ratios of the 550 transmission, but the front and rear sprockets teeth count/ratio, chain pitch and the rear wheel and tire sizes. The cool thing is you can use the 6-speed from any kz550, gpz550, zr550 and even the 85-90 zx600 ninjas, as they all have the same gear ratios. The zx600's and the zr550's have a longer output shaft, which means your front sprocket may not need to be offset depending on how wide of a rear tire you have.
Not even getting into the clutch hub modifications needed to make the conversion work, there are so very many variables to consider and research before even turning a wrench or buying parts to do the swap. But I did, I have and I am.

zr7 motor in KZ750 10 May 2016 08:00 #725516

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2632
I keep looking for 6th on my 1000. I'm at 80 at 5000 and want more. :evil:
Steve

zr7 motor in KZ750 10 May 2016 08:08 #725520

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

swest wrote: I keep looking for 6th on my 1000. I'm at 80 at 5000 and want more. :evil:
Steve

Bingo, same here Steve I hear ya... Get up to indicated 80-85 cruising ( likely 6-9mph faster than real speed, Kawi speedos are notoriously generous at the high end from our era of bikes), and I go to grab a gear and the shifter jabs into my foot and won't go up a gear :P :P :P

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

zr7 motor in KZ750 10 May 2016 10:15 #725535

• turboguzzi
  • turboguzzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72

The Gringo wrote: Cool swap too bad you didn't get the exhaust with the engine as well. I put one on a 650 I had and man is it nice. Whisper quiet, made with stainless steel and really performs well.

I actually got also the zr-7 exh system and i do like quite bikes but after trying a bit for fit, i decided against it. it weights a ton and would require a big change of the right passenger footpeg and silencer hanger.

i am keeping it for when the light Sito system i have will rot through, so it couold be interesting to see how did you solve the area of the rear right side. mind posting a pic?

zr7 motor in KZ750 10 May 2016 13:32 #725559

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

turboguzzi wrote:

The Gringo wrote: Cool swap too bad you didn't get the exhaust with the engine as well. I put one on a 650 I had and man is it nice. Whisper quiet, made with stainless steel and really performs well.

I actually got also the zr-7 exh system and i do like quite bikes but after trying a bit for fit, i decided against it. it weights a ton and would require a big change of the right passenger footpeg and silencer hanger.

i am keeping it for when the light Sito system i have will rot through, so it couold be interesting to see how did you solve the area of the rear right side. mind posting a pic?

The easiest thing is to cut it behind the collector and either put an aftermarket pipes and muffler on our adjust the orientation of the pipe and muffler.

I got mine for under $100 shipped on eBay but it was already cut and came with a Kerker muffler and no mid pipe. I just got creative and made it work. I found a titanium Muzzy with stainless mid pipe that I'm going to refurbish and attach eventually using the rear peg attach point.

The scrape marks on the Kerker are from when it hung a little too far out to the side and before I put the longer shocks on.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

zr7 motor in KZ750 10 May 2016 15:41 #725594

• turboguzzi
  • User
interesting solution but definetely not my cup of tea in terms of looks for a street bike. please dont take it as as an offense, my vintage road racer setup with an R6 Ti silencer is quite a bit like yours. in any case, not doable with the much bigger stock zr-7 muffler if you want it to be quiet too. your kind of muffler would be an instant cop magnet here in northern italy. gringo, westill want to see your solution :)

Attachment exh.jpg not found

Attachments:

Last edit: by turboguzzi.

zr7 motor in KZ750 10 May 2016 16:52 #725600

• GPzMOD750
  • User

turboguzzi wrote: interesting solution but definetely not my cup of tea in terms of looks for a street bike. please dont take it as as an offense, my vintage road racer setup with an R6 Ti silencer is quite a bit like yours. in any case, not doable with the much bigger stock zr-7 muffler if you want it to be quiet too. your kind of muffler would be an instant cop magnet here in northern italy. gringo, westill want to see your solution :)

Attachment exh.jpg not found

A temporary solution, my bike is ugly right now but it is running awesome compared to when I bought almost a year ago. The Muzzy which is off a R1 so it probably wont be as loud as one would expect and will probably end up looking like your race bike. I didn't like the stock pipes and they were in need of some attention so I sold them recently, They should be delivered today as a matter of fact. My point is if you don't want to adjust the bike for the pipes you can cut the pipe to suit the bike and your tastes.

In other news. I found a good deal on a ZR7 oil pan in Colorado, Now I just need to find a deal on a pump and valve. B)

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

zr7 motor in KZ750 11 May 2016 06:23 #725683

• turboguzzi
  • User
Tnxs, fully aware of the possibilities cutting and welding open but since this one carries my girlfriend too i want to keep the rear footpegs stock and low. This almost blocks any 4 - 1 system from fitting unless it a period one with a narrow pipe as a silencer or what you did which would dump hot exhaust gasses on her right foot :). Under the rdar footpeg no room for a proper silent muffler while still leaving clearance for the kind of lean angles i like :)

Last edit: by turboguzzi.

zr7 motor in KZ750 12 May 2016 18:24 #726049

• GPzMOD750
  • User
The head wouldn't happen to fit on the KZ cylinders would it? I need to repair mine due to misadventures. I t would be nice to keep it running in the meantime. If the head fits what about the cams, cam chain, cam gears, etc.?

zr7 motor in KZ750 12 May 2016 18:49 #726052

• turboguzzi
  • User
should fit, gasket is the same as gpz/kz, hy vo chain, etc.