Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 17 Mar 2015 15:20 #664762

• Mk2Rookie
  • Mk2Rookie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi! I installed the APE manual cam chain tensioner on my 1983 J3 but have some rattle when the engine is warm and pressed under acceleration. I tensioned it by hand while cranking the engine. Should i do as others and let it idle while i turn and find the most even idle ? Or could it be the plastic part in the valve cover that is worn out ? Any ideas or experience with this?

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 17 Mar 2015 19:26 #664785

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2632
How many miles on the engine? You might try adjusting it while running but don't tighten it too much. just when the rattle goes away. Too tight and it will destroy the cam chain assy.
Steve

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 18 Mar 2015 02:21 #664802

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Adjusting the tensioner whilst cranking the engine won't get the best result.
Get a 17mm wrench on the ign side of the crank.
Rotate the crank clockwise with the wrench so that all the slack is taken up at the front,
Now by gently rocking the crank ( first anticlockwise and back ) with the wrench ( not enough to move the pistons ) you will feel the slack in the camchain on the tensioner side.
Whilst rocking the crank you need to simultaneously wind the APE tensioner in by HAND until the amount the wrench can be moved is reduced and you can barely feel any give in the chain. ( As you rock the crank the tensioner screw will rotate very easily with your fingers )
Once that point is reached, rotate the crank a few times , re-check and then lock off the tensioner.
You should now be good to go.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Tyrell Corp, MLMG

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 31 Mar 2015 06:15 #665909

• Mk2Rookie
  • User
Sorry for not answering sooner!
I tightened the tensioner by hand using a socket only but still just "finger tight".
It did reduce the noise a bit so i guess i have to give it a bit more. I will do like you said Zed! It makes a lot of sense in my head to keep and eye on the slack between camchain and pistons but why is it not described like that bye APE then ? And how do i know if it's to tight or the chain is to worn to be used ?
Will consult the manual.

Thank you for your answars! A big help!

Simon

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 31 Mar 2015 07:58 #665912

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Mk2Rookie wrote: .......And how do i know if it's to tight or the chain is to worn to be used ?
Will consult the manual.

Thank you for your answars! A big help!

Simon

Yes, the Kawasaki Service Manual shows how to measure the cam chain to see if it is still within service limits. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 31 Mar 2015 15:36 #665963

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
I realy dont think that chain would be out of wack. The chain on the 83 j is hefty. Just adjust it like zed1015 said and you will be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mk2Rookie

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 13 Apr 2015 15:21 #667817

• Mk2Rookie
  • User
I tightened the cam chain with the valvecover off and everything should be good. It stills rattle under load in the lower rpm range. I checked the cover and theres no markings so i guess it's the slider/guide in front of the tensioner slapping against the tensioner ? Does that sound possible and is there any fix for it ?

Simon

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 13 Apr 2015 15:47 #667820

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470

Mk2Rookie wrote: It stills rattle under load in the lower rpm range. Simon

Under load ? .
Do you mean when accelerating whilst riding or just revving at a stand still.
Out of balance carbs will cause some camchain rattle (and clutch rattle) when stationary so get that checked out first.
If it's whilst on the move then are you sure it isn't something else like piston slap or detonation both of which are highlighted when loads such as acceleration are applied.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 13 Apr 2015 15:57 #667824

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2632
Adjust it while idling.
Steve

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 13 Apr 2015 16:04 #667827

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973
My Money is on ZEDs advice
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 13 Apr 2015 16:05 #667828

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Does the rattle go away after the bike is thoroughly warmed up? My 900 rattles a bit as it stumbles while cold but runs quieter once warm. I fitted an Ape manual adjuster to my 1300 and finally had to pull the valve cover to get the correct setting which was considerably tighter than the Ape instructions lead me to settle upon.
I think Zed1015's take on the process is something I'll try next time.

Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Cam chain rattle after manual cam chain tensioner 13 Apr 2015 16:07 #667830

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Mk2Rookie wrote: I tightened the cam chain with the valvecover off and everything should be good. It stills rattle under load in the lower rpm range. I checked the cover and theres no markings so i guess it's the slider/guide in front of the tensioner slapping against the tensioner ? Does that sound possible and is there any fix for it ?
Simon

Help me understand why that should work. I’m under the impression that the 1983 KZ1000-J3 has a cam chain guide attached to the inside of the valve cover (see image below), and that the guide applies some pressure upon the cam chain. If the valve cover is removed and then the tensioner is tightened, when the valve cover is replaced wouldn’t the guide increase the pressure on the cam chain and make it too tight? That might quiet the chain noise to some degree, but I would expect it to place undue stress on the cam chain and guides that may result in excessive wear. Any thoughts? Ed

Attachment 00003a-11.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

• Page: